Completed Lone Industries L4

winterbladexx

Average Stuffer
Sep 30, 2017
Do it! Whatever it takes. I've been lurking on these forums for months and I keep coming back to this project. The form factor and size are perfect. This has probably been asked, but does this case have room for a 160w HDPLEX AC-DC internal brick for a brickless build?
Wondering the same thing. Looking to use HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX and 160 AC-DC for brickless build.

Reactions: Bshoults

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
That is correct, except free shipping was worldwide. No idea what it'll be in the future though. I'm inclined to increase quality if I can and have the price increase.

This looks more promising than your last reply on a new run of cases ;)

Reactions: cmyk78

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I don't have any plans to support the HDPLEX 160W AC-DC. I'd personally consider using it outside the case as a small 160W power brick.

Last edited:

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
I might be interested in the next run as well, but I'd like to see a few changes if possible.

First, I really do not know how reliable the stick-on back panel was, and it's probably not bad at all, but it makes me nervous to be honest. For the next iteration, may I suggest a change in the design to make that panel screw-on as well? It would also give quick access to the back of the motherboard...

Second, could you please, please, find a way to use shorter stand-offs and maybe even find a way to not use the crossbar, all with the purpose of supporting a little taller heatsinks? There is a family of heatsinks that stand about ~75mm and I think you can find a way to support them.

winterbladexx

Average Stuffer
Sep 30, 2017
I don't have any plans to support the HDPLEX 160W AC-DC. I'd personally consider using it outside the case as a small 160W power brick.
Even if I don't use the SSD mounts, I can't use double sided tape to fit an HDPLEX 160 AC-DC? Thanks btw for answering.

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
love the old design and the reason it works because it caters to a niche need. whatever the design changes, improvements, hopefully it doesn't get bigger. dimension wise. since the case is the only case I've used thats well built on par with Josh's SF4 quality.

whatever it may be eagerly waiting for the next batch good luck james!

Last edited:
Reactions: Curiosity and Lone

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
love the old design and the reason it works because it caters to a niche need. whatever the design changes, improvements, hopefully it doesn't get too bigger. dimension wise. since the case is the only case I've used thats well built on par with Josh's SF4 quality.

whatever it may be eagerly waiting for the next batch good luck james!

I really doubt he's going to change the case into something different. We're talking about changes in the design, not the end product per se. I guess a few mm here and there is possible though...

Reactions: Lone

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
Well that's a bummer. Those are probably the only options for a brickless build. Thanks.

There is also 80W ACDC HDPlex, the smaller version brick that can be placed inside the case.
That can be used with HDPlex 160W DC-ATX, or MiniBox PicoPSU-80-WI-32 (http://www.mini-box.com/PicoPSU-80-WI-32V).

The limit is the choice of CPU/GPU being rather restricted, like 35W TDP CPU like 6700T/7700T/8700T, and 30W GPU like GT 1030, for example, and should go for rather conservative power usage for daily use.

winterbladexx

Average Stuffer
Sep 30, 2017
There is also 80W ACDC HDPlex, the smaller version brick that can be placed inside the case.
That can be used with HDPlex 160W DC-ATX, or MiniBox PicoPSU-80-WI-32 (http://www.mini-box.com/PicoPSU-80-WI-32V).

The limit is the choice of CPU/GPU being rather restricted, like 35W TDP CPU like 6700T/7700T/8700T, and 30W GPU like GT 1030, for example, and should go for rather conservative power usage for daily use.
Yeah, but I'm probably thinking of something like a 1050 ti or even a 1060.

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
Yeah, but I'm probably thinking of something like a 1050 ti or even a 1060.

A very short 24pin to 24pin extension, if you can find one or make one, could be something to try. It needs to be quite short.

Also, it would be rather still tight but it might be possible to use HDPLEX 160 AC-DC with PicoPSU 120 WI (12 - 25v wide input) http://www.mini-box.com/PicoPSU-120-WI-25-12-25V-DC-DC-ATX-power-supply . It is 20 pin but can be plugged into 24 pin motherboard. It is smaller than HDPlex 160 DC-ATX. This needs a cable like this (http://www.mini-box.com/4-Pin-P4-Power-Cable_2) to power the 4 pin CPU, but that should work.

I think CPU should still use low power, like 35W, but 1050 ti looks like an option in this setting.

*Adding comment: With PicoPSU 120 WI, it should be possible by placing the HDPlex 160W ACDC on the side opposite to motherboard being mounted. This may limit the choice of CPU cooler depending of the cooler size. Placing ACDC against the front panel was still not possible even for PicoPSU 120 WI, though it was very close to being able to. Unsure about HDPlex 160 DC-ATX with regard to this.

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I love this case, but I think there's a bit of a mismatch between the amount of power it supports vs. how much it can cool. The L12S can easily handle even the 7980XE, but the case only supports up to 160W of power. I know the HDPlex 160W can technically go up to 200W, but with a 75W graphics card and a mildly overclocked 8700K or 8600K or an X99/X299 chip, which again, the cooler can easily handle, you would spike above 200W under load. How much larger would the case need to be to accommodate the HDPlex 400W? Otherwise, if you're going to be running a low-power CPU, you may as well get the S4 Mini or have a case with a flat design that only supports low-profile cards. Just my 2 cents, I do love the case, I wish I could use it with my 6800K, but I would run short on power.

Last edited:

staircase

Trash Compacter
Jan 26, 2018
Hi, I like this case design a lot.

I am new to computer building, The only thing I don't understand it the size of the graphic card
It says low profile. but it is not the same as zotac gte 1080 mini?

The best gtx card that you could fit is the 1050ti? am I correct? and 1050ti is not vr ready?

If that's the case, I don't think this one suit my needs, but I still like the hard edges.

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Hi, I like this case design a lot.

I am new to computer building, The only thing I don't understand it the size of the graphic card
It says low profile. but it is not the same as zotac gte 1080 mini?

The best gtx card that you could fit is the 1050ti? am I correct? and 1050ti is not vr ready?

If that's the case, I don't think this one suit my needs, but I still like the hard edges.

Low profile pertains to the bracket used. The 1050ti, 750ti, and some Quadro cards have low profile brackets.

Reactions: Jello and staircase

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
yep noticed that as well, guy is probably busy with other stuff. I'll just wait it out. :)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I love this case, but I think there's a bit of a mismatch between the amount of power it supports vs. how much it can cool. The L12S can easily handle even the 7980XE, but the case only supports up to 160W of power. I know the HDPlex 160W can technically go up to 200W, but with a 75W graphics card and a mildly overclocked 8700K or 8600K or an X99/X299 chip, which again, the cooler can easily handle, you would spike above 200W under load. How much larger would the case need to be to accommodate the HDPlex 400W? Otherwise, if you're going to be running a low-power CPU, you may as well get the S4 Mini or have a case with a flat design that only supports low-profile cards. Just my 2 cents, I do love the case, I wish I could use it with my 6800K, but I would run short on power.

It can easily support a plug in DC board, like g-unique for 400W. Just need the right power entry cutout.

HDPLEX is needlessly large.

Reactions: s0skey