Lian Li PC-Q21 build advice for maximum airflow

MTHD

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 15, 2017
I plan to build this as soon as my case arrives. I can see myself and have been made aware that there will be airflow problems so I plan to mod the case but I'm not sure what fan or how many fans to add or what to do about GPU ventilation.

I plan to cut a hole up top with a hole saw for a 120mm fan for exhaust, how will that affect the cpu and psu facing each other, what is the best orientation for cpu/psu

Will an additional 120mm or 92mm in front of the case as intake improve things along with the 120mm fan up top for exhaust?

I've also seen some advice on these forums about removing the gpu shroud and fitting a slim case fan underneath and use a cable adapter so the gpu regulates the fan

Lastly, is the AXP-100 full copper the best low profile cooler under 60mm?

Reactions: Mtthwmths

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Some food for thought:

Reactions: TheHig and rfarmer

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
What you've done is make this case exactly what it should have been from the start.

Why there are no ITX cases with dual front fans for airflow and using this layout is beyond me.

MTHD

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 15, 2017

I'm not sure which is best for airflow after seeing the pictures you've sent, two front fans for intake/exhaust or just the one up top... I can't mod it as much as the "High airflow" mod but maybe cut two holes in front or something?

MTHD

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 15, 2017
What you've done is make this case exactly what it should have been from the start.

Why there are no ITX cases with dual front fans for airflow and using this layout is beyond me.

I agree more cases need to be made like this without modding

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I'm not sure which is best for airflow after seeing the pictures you've sent, two front fans for intake/exhaust or just the one up top... I can't mod it as much as the "High airflow" mod but maybe cut two holes in front or something?
Best airflow IMO would be a front intake (low position) and a top exhaust, but that will require some skills and the right tools to keep nice aesthetics.

An easy mod, without modding the case intensively, could be to put two exhaust 60mm fan attached at the back where the SFX PSU is supposed to be.
Then as a PSU alternative, DC+external brick of a Flex PSU attached on the case top. Both will let you install an higher CPU cooler I guess.
You can always add a front and/or top fan later if needed.

This has been done nicely on a PC-TU 100:

Last edited: