Build Advice (Lian Li TU150)

TMatzelle60

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
Currently looking into a SFF Build and I am wondering what you guys think

Lian Li TU150
Intel Core i7 9700K (Cooled by a Noctua NH-U12A (Dual Fan Setup) )
Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 16GBx2 2666mhz
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC Gaming
Corsair SF750 Platinum Power Supply

All internal fans inside the Lian Li TU150 will be Noctua Fans.

My question is will I have any cooling problems with that setup I will not be overclocking manually only whatever the CPU goes up to during turbo boost and same with the GPU.

Will I be find with the NH-U12A?

couchpotato

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2019
Apply some undervolt, like -0.05v. You should be golden. If possible, have two bottom case fans as well. Have fun with you build.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Airflow....You need Airflow. The axial style fans of that card dump 250+/- watts of heat into the case. This can quickly cause overheating problems. You absolutely must be running an exhaust fast. Additionally, a front fan to feed the CPU, and perhaps bottom fans to feed the GPU would help. But that exhaust fan is absolutely necessary.

Your memory choice is too slow. Look for a minimum CAS 16 (lower is better) and minimum DD4 3200 (Higher is better). There is no reason to run less as it will, in the future, bottleneck your system. The GSKILL Trident Z line is very good, and has RGB if you want to add some flare to your system. Make sure you enable your XMP profile.

Since you're not going to overclock, consider investing in the 9900 NON-K. The extra threads will boost performance down the road for games, and big boost now for encoding/rendering/cpu workloads.

The U12A will cool either CPU just fine. You can even run a D15 (though not with the GSKILL memory, and you should check with the mainboard). I recommend you get the chromax line unless you like BROOOOOOOOOOOOOWN.

If you're noise sensitive, the Corsair SF600 platinum is considerably quieter than the 700, and will still provide all the power you need.

You forgot to mention what SSD you're going to go with.... If you're not sure you can't go wrong with a Phison E12 Chip based one. I've used the Sabrent Rockets in my rigs and get over 3000MB per second. $250 for 2TB is about the going price. Corsair, Inland, Sabrent, and a few other all use the same Phison chip.

Reactions: dealda

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Why not the ASUS Z390 as a motherboard? Isnt it better?

The ASROCK has a bit better VRMs, but it's what it doesn't have that makes it nice: an Integrated IO Shield. Those are TERRIBLE. I built an NCASE M1 with the Z390 Asus and had to do surgery on the video card back plate to get it to fit. I actually broke out my dremal, and cut a chunk out of the useless plastic on the back of the MSI RTX 2060. What a pain.

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
[...] an Integrated IO Shield. Those are TERRIBLE. [...]
Thx for the info, I first thought having the mobo and the IO shield in one piece was a good idea, but now I know better!

futurewau

Average Stuffer
Sep 20, 2019
The ASROCK has a bit better VRMs, but it's what it doesn't have that makes it nice: an Integrated IO Shield. Those are TERRIBLE. I built an NCASE M1 with the Z390 Asus and had to do surgery on the video card back plate to get it to fit. I actually broke out my dremal, and cut a chunk out of the useless plastic on the back of the MSI RTX 2060. What a pain.
Woah you're right. I just ordered the ASRock Z390 because of that

TMatzelle60

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
I was looking to do a dual fan setup with the NH-U12A which would not let me add a back fan since the 2nd fan will be right near the grill

Since this is a gaming rig ill have all noctua fans in the case too