Lian Li/DAN A3-mATX

mnetting

Cable Smoosher
May 29, 2018
I love most of the case but I really dislike the the vertical grooves on the front panel and I really dislike the foot.

Leaving the front panel blank like the h20 or maybe a single horizontal groove like the two part T1 case would be much nicer.

As to the foot again I turn to the h20 with the rubber block feet as a much nicer option.

I’m super interested in this though I would love to switch to matx.

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
Dan, to the point above will the stand be removable? Could the user have the option of using rubber feet instead? Is it still early enough in the design process to request this? Also maybe have front panel options for a smooth front?

Reactions: Bonusround and MaBo

m-i-c-k-e-y

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2018
If you're refering to a classic, non vertical gpu layout, Yes since it takes in more air from the top.. Instead from the bottom on non inverted ones..

Reactions: sheltem

schneeland

Cable Smoosher
Aug 7, 2021
I have to say I actually like the front and the unique look it gives the case.
Regarding the stand: maybe something like the stainless steel feet of the Jonspuls i100 Pro? (not necessarily the same, rounded design)

schneeland

Cable Smoosher
Aug 7, 2021
What I like on the current stand is that is looks like the case is hovering. I can test the stainless Apple like verion in CAD but I do not think it will look better.
I was thinking, together with a black front, it might still look good (since the A3 has a more angular design, probably squares/rectangles would look better than rounded feet). However, I agree that this will probably not create a hover effect (it might be slightly better when colouring them like the front, but your point still holds).

sffaddiction

Cable Smoosher
Apr 13, 2020
The front and the stand are the only two design Elements that differ this case from a generic box :D

If you show me a interesting alternative i will think about it :)
What about something along the lines of the Jonsbo V8/V11 front? I've always enjoyed the look of them since its not just another flat surface or mesh surface.

oxa

Case Bender
New User
Jul 6, 2022
To me there's a flaw in the design as it is. As someone who looks for a compact case, the only reason I would consider an mATX board over itx (I have two, both of them now in a4h2o's.. thanks for making it) would be the use of the additional, usable, expansion slot.

Given the move to 3 slot GPU's cards, this would mean a GPU and capture card, or perhaps 10G networking in slot 4. The only way I could see this working in the above design would be to forgo the use of any fans at the top of the case.

As it stands, it effectively looks to be an iTX case that can take 360 AIOs and an ATX power supply. Not a bad thing, but a missed opportunity in my opinion.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
To me there's a flaw in the design as it is. As someone who looks for a compact case, the only reason I would consider an mATX board over itx (I have two, both of them now in a4h2o's.. thanks for making it) would be the use of the additional, usable, expansion slot.

Given the move to 3 slot GPU's cards, this would mean a GPU and capture card, or perhaps 10G networking in slot 4. The only way I could see this working in the above design would be to forgo the use of any fans at the top of the case.

As it stands, it effectively looks to be an iTX case that can take 360 AIOs and an ATX power supply. Not a bad thing, but a missed opportunity in my opinion.

There are plenty other pros to using matx over ITX even if you only use one expansion card (which 99.99% of users do anyway, even on atx boards).

Last edited:
Reactions: Fa5en

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
There are plenty other pros to using matx over ITX even if you only use one expansion card (which 99.99% of users to anyway, even on atx boards).
I moved my main rig into a sub 20l matx case and wouldn't really consider going back. even just the cost of the mobo, nm the extra ram and expandability, made it worth it. the sheer amount of stuff you can toss in the a3 atx is really inpressive

sffaddiction

Cable Smoosher
Apr 13, 2020
So another idea for a different front is to do what fractal did to their Torrent series. I love how much depth and character it gives to the front of the case.

Kizzster

Cable Smoosher
Jan 8, 2021
So another idea for a different front is to do what fractal did to their Torrent series. I love how much depth and character it gives to the front of the case.
I personally think that the Fractal Torrent design just looks cheap and plastic looking imo but maybe it'll help for airflow. It'll look like the O11 Air Mini at that point too.

beck

Efficiency Noob
Jul 1, 2022
Ok, I'm confused. The max CPU clearance is 158mm but it can fit a D15s, which is 160?

I assume the side panel does fit with the D15s?
Check the specifications of the NH-D15S:

Dan uses the "D15S with 120mm fans".

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
Check the specifications of the NH-D15S:

Dan uses the "D15S with 120mm fans".
Specifications says height is 160mm without fan..

Reactions: Dampfbox