Production Lazer3D - LZ XTD - Alternative Designs

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018
Based on the pics that can be seen online, the RX 6000 will have 3 fans, and it looks like it will be 2.5 slots (hard to judge). I don't think that 290 mm is enough, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'd be pretty happy if it were possible to extend the LZ7 XTD to accomodate these, but I realize this isn't trivial.

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
Rev
I'm not sure what he says in the review (hopefully it's positive!), but here's a German review of the LZ7 XTD, fitted with an AMD 5700 XT:

The CPU cooler they selected was a few mm too tall for the case, but they dremmelled the underside of the top panel to get it to fit.
Review was quite positive. Thought the case was expensive but worth it for the quality & felt that the case was future-proof. Commented there were no options for dust filters.

Reactions: K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Since Nvidia announced the dimensions of the new oversized RTX 3080 Founders Edition card I've received many messages about whether it will fit in the LZ7 XTD, but with a max GPU clearance of 280mm the XTD is unfortunately a smidge too short.

Making the case 10mm longer by extending the existing panels would cause serious complications with the modular customisation approach of how the case is sold. So for this reason I have instead developed a new thicker front panel kit which solves the clearance issue by only needing to replace 1 panel instead of 4.

The new front panel kit increases GPU clearance up to 290mm whilst also providing increased cooling capacity with an extra front facing 120mm fan mounting point.
*Please note the storage panel cannot be used when a fan is installed in the front of the case (useful for those who are using motherboard mounted M.2 storage for example).

The kit is also compatible with the standard smaller LZ7 for those who would like a bit of extra cooling capacity.

Coming Soon!

Full announcement article can be found here:

If you have any questions let me know!

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
Since Nvidia announced the dimensions of the new oversized RTX 3080 Founders Edition card I've received many messages about whether it will fit in the LZ7 XTD, but with a max GPU clearance of 280mm the XTD is unfortunately a smidge too short.

Making the case 10mm longer by extending the existing panels would cause serious complications with the modular customisation approach of how the case is sold. So for this reason I have instead developed a new thicker front panel kit which solves the clearance issue by only needing to replace 1 panel instead of 4.

The new front panel kit increases GPU clearance up to 290mm whilst also providing increased cooling capacity with an extra front facing 120mm fan mounting point.
*Please note the storage panel cannot be used when a fan is installed in the front of the case (useful for those who are using motherboard mounted M.2 storage for example).

The kit is also compatible with the standard smaller LZ7 for those who would like a bit of extra cooling capacity.

Coming Soon!

Full announcement article can be found here:

If you have any questions let me know!
Will the front expansion kit be included as a future case option, or only available as a separate accessory?
IE should I order an XTD now or wait until the extension kit can be purchased as an option when ordering the XTD?
Can the new panel be used without extending the case if you do not need to fit a longer GPU and simply want the additional air flow and fan mounting point?

Will you be making an additional XTD IO plate with the radial fan cut out instead of the cyclone fan vent?

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Will the front expansion kit be included as a future case option, or only available as a separate accessory?
IE should I order an XTD now or wait until the extension kit can be purchased as an option when ordering the XTD?

The Front Expansion Kit will have it's own product page, this is because it will be fully configurable with many options to choose from. It would be too complex to include that extra customisation into the main XTD configurator.

If you purchase an LZ7 or LZ7 XTD at the same time as the Front Expansion Kit a £5 discount will be automatically applied to your basket. If you would like both the normal front panel and the expansion kit included with your order then you can remove the discount and we'll include both.

The design is complete and ready to go, I just need to finish a few things on the product page. I'll try and get it done this week and drop a post here when it's ready.

Can the new panel be used without extending the case if you do not need to fit a longer GPU and simply want the additional air flow and fan mounting point?

Yes, the panel can be used simply to replace the front panel whether you need the extra 10mm GPU clearance or not. Like you say it gives you extra options for case cooling if you think you'll need it. One thing to note is that mounting fan in the front of the case removes compatibility for 2.5" storage drives, so keep that in mind for planning your build. With the XTD you can maybe mount your drives elsewhere in the case with a bit of velcro/double sided tape if you need them.

Will you be making an additional XTD IO plate with the radial fan cut out instead of the cyclone fan vent?

I'm not sure what you mean by this? The option to have the 'Radial' style fan vent on the XTD I/O panel is already available in the configurator?

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
The Front Expansion Kit will have it's own product page, this is because it will be fully configurable with many options to choose from. It would be too complex to include that extra customisation into the main XTD configurator.

If you purchase an LZ7 or LZ7 XTD at the same time as the Front Expansion Kit a £5 discount will be automatically applied to your basket. If you would like both the normal front panel and the expansion kit included with your order then you can remove the discount and we'll include both.

The design is complete and ready to go, I just need to finish a few things on the product page. I'll try and get it done this week and drop a post here when it's ready.

Yes, the panel can be used simply to replace the front panel whether you need the extra 10mm GPU clearance or not. Like you say it gives you extra options for case cooling if you think you'll need it. One thing to note is that mounting fan in the front of the case removes compatibility for 2.5" storage drives, so keep that in mind for planning your build. With the XTD you can maybe mount your drives elsewhere in the case with a bit of velcro/double sided tape if you need them.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? The option to have the 'Radial' style fan vent on the XTD I/O panel is already available in the configurator?
Thank you for the updated info. I will order the new front panel when available as I ordered my XTD case last night from Overclockers - as I am already tired of having to move the PSU to make any changes in my build. I went with large cyclone vent as I wanted both fan vents to be the same pattern. I doublechecked the configure page again just now and only cyclone style vent was available on the rear panel. No need for 2.5" storage - going all NVMe. Thank you again.

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
Another LZ7 Variation Request - No GPU / APU Build

Use existing LZ7 & XTD corner pieces.
Use existing LZ7 side panels - case depth same as LZ7.
Widen GPU slot/case enough to have SFX PSU sitting on its side replacing the GPU with rear panel access to PSU power switch and mains plug. No internal AC power cable required.

Would require slightly wider front/rear, top/bottom panels.
Only dimensional or mounting point changes are on the (GPU) case side.
Bottom panel would not require any vent cutouts.
Same large/deep CPU cooler area and easy MB access as XTD.

I will take mine with black corners, gray panels and maximum venting.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I went with large cyclone vent as I wanted both fan vents to be the same pattern. I doublechecked the configure page again just now and only cyclone style vent was available on the rear panel.

Ah you meant the rear panel, yes that only has the cyclone vent available as it's the most efficient vent style and it's on the back of the case so not as visually important to add the customisation there. There has to be some limits on the customisation otherwise it would become unmanageable very quickly.

Another LZ7 Variation Request - No GPU / APU Build

I like the idea, however the top APU is currently only a 65w TDP part and can be cooled relatively easy by something such as the NH-L12S. There are some nice small cases out there already aimed at pure APU builds with good cooling.

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
Ah you meant the rear panel, yes that only has the cyclone vent available as it's the most efficient vent style and it's on the back of the case so not as visually important to add the customisation there. There has to be some limits on the customisation otherwise it would become unmanageable very quickly.

I like the idea, however the top APU is currently only a 65w TDP part and can be cooled relatively easy by something such as the NH-L12S. There are some nice small cases out there already aimed at pure APU builds with good cooling.
Yes, but I have not found anything with the in case parts arrangement I am looking for smaller than the XTD.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Yes, but I have not found anything with the in case parts arrangement I am looking for smaller than the XTD.
You can do a DC-DC powered build with something like the HDPLEX in the standard LZ7, this will give you the full height of the case for CPU cooling.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Quick update - The new LZ7 Front Expansion Kit is now available to order HERE.

Details and pictures can be found on the product page. The kit is also fully configurable with different material combination and vent designs. A discount will be applied to your basket if you order at the same time as a full case.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
Quick update - The new LZ7 Front Expansion Kit is now available to order HERE.

Details and pictures can be found on the product page. The kit is also fully configurable with different material combination and vent designs. A discount will be applied to your basket if you order at the same time as a full case.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Already ordered. Thank you. Regards.

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
Already ordered. Thank you. Regards.
On the configurator you can only choose between triangle vent (that I chose), FE-X vent, the original GPU vent, or no vent. The first photo on the expansion kit page shows a full panel of horizontal slots that seems to match the fully vented top panel. I would have preferred this pattern but is not offered. Then why tempt us? If this panel is available are you able to assist me in changing the order with OC's?

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
On the configurator you can only choose between triangle vent (that I chose), FE-X vent, the original GPU vent, or no vent. The first photo on the expansion kit page shows a full panel of horizontal slots that seems to match the fully vented top panel. I would have preferred this pattern but is not offered. Then why tempt us? If this panel is available are you able to assist me in changing the order with OC's?
It is available, you may need to scroll across on your device if you're using a small screeen? There are 4 vent styles to choose from in total and then the no vent option. If you would like the fully vented panel I can update your order manually for you?

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
It is available, you may need to scroll across on your device if you're using a small screeen? There are 4 vent styles to choose from in total and then the no vent option. If you would like the fully vented panel I can update your order manually for you?
Yes please do make this change for me. Thank you.