Production Lazer3D - LZ XTD - Alternative Designs

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
Is there any way I can login to check the status of my order? I created an account but can't see a login button.

HAshfaq786

Cable Smoosher
Nov 21, 2019
Just on the verge of buying myself an LZ7 XTD. However just wanted some guidance.

Looking to get a 9600K/9700K and cool this with the NH C14S.

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried using the NH C14S within the case and if so did it fit well or were there any issues?

rapidshrub

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
Just on the verge of buying myself an LZ7 XTD. However just wanted some guidance.

Looking to get a 9600K/9700K and cool this with the NH C14S.

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried using the NH C14S within the case and if so did it fit well or were there any issues?
Doesn't fit. I have a post with pictures several pages back. I've tried several coolers in this case, look through my posts.

I have a Thermalright Silver Arrow 130 installed right now, I've been waiting to post about it until I get my case fans straightened out. In short, its marginally better (a couple degrees Celsius) than the NH D9S and can be mounted in any direction on AMD platforms.

Reactions: K888D

rapidshrub

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
I've had some time to play around with the Silver Arrow 130 and a Cryorig XT 140. The XT 140 was noisy due to turbulence so I installed a NF-A12x15 that I had on hand and don't get any noise with it, so its found its home. I really cant recommend the Silver Arrow over the NH-D9S with the stock fan but prefer this setup aesthetically. My goal was to install everything with the tower rotated perpendicular to the RAM and in line with the front fan but could only install the stock fan in that orientation because true 120mm fans hit the RAM and motherboard I/O. So while you can install the Silver Arrow 130 in any orientation on AMD platforms, unlike the D9S, you're limited to the stock fan which I couldn't stand. I never did any true testing but from what I can tell the thermals are only marginally better than the D9S; however, the D9S is quieter than the Silver Arrow with the stock fan. My current setup gives me the best acoustics overall. I'm generally seeing CPU temperatures in the low 70's CPU while gaming (3600, PBO off) and low 70's on the 2080.

Here's a few pictures with everything installed, I plan to replace everything in the future with Chromax fans.

Last edited:

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
With mine I have the U9S fan orientation is a bit different but not ideal.
The front 120/140 has a Noctua slim 120 as an exhaust with a fan on the the heatsink graphics card side drawing air in. seems happ enough temps are within the acceptable range, GPU is noisy but thats the GPU's design.

On that, has anyone tried to shoehorn in a 240mm rad where the GPU would usually sit? I know there are fan mounts, but not sure if they rad would interfere, though I guess I could route the rad an attach it to the outside using the gap were the IO for the GPU would usually be.

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018
Anyone tried a Red Dragon 5700(xt) in this case yet? I know there are a few with the generic Powercolor dual fan model.

The Red Dragon is 132 mm high, while the maximum that the LZ7 XTD allows is 134 mm. However if you look at pictures of the Red Dragon you can see that the PCIe power connectors are flush with the top of the card, so... the card itself does fit, but you have only 2 mm left to place the PCIe power connectors in there.

After some googling I was able to find a "super ultra low profile" PCIe power connector which requires only 3mm of case clearance, so this might fit if you are willing to dremel the top panel of the LZ7 XTD. With such a connector however you will have to plug in each pin individually, which can be quite error-prone, so I wouldn't recommend this setup.

I don't think there is any noticable performance difference between the plain Powercolor 5700 XT and the Red Dragon version, so there is no real reason to get that over the cheaper and smaller card.

brokowski

Efficiency Noob
New User
Mar 22, 2020
hey first post wow wow wow
I thought maybe someone here would help me decide on the cooling solution in lz7 xtd for ryzen 3900x (render/work machine) so far I'm looking at:
-kraken x42
-dark rock tf
-maybe underclocked u9s

I was hyped for c14s till I've read @rapidshrub 's posts in here

specs: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-I GAMING , ryzen 9 3900x, EVGA rtx 2700s

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018
I thought maybe someone here would help me decide on the cooling solution in lz7 xtd for ryzen 3900x (render/work machine) so far I'm looking at:
-kraken x42
-dark rock tf
-maybe underclocked u9s

I think the U9S should work just fine with the 3900X as long as you don't want to overclock. According to Noctua's site the U9S is capable of cooling the 3900X and even the 3950X with "low turbo/overclocking headroom".

Keep in mind that the LZ7 XTD is an exceptionally well ventillated case. If you stick to the recommended cooling setup, you'll have basically 4 fans that operate together: the intake and PSU fan will blow air towards the U9S, while the fan on the U9S and the exhaust fan will take care of moving the hot air out of the case.

That being said, I think the other two options you mentioned look solid too, but I haven't got personal experience with those.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
hey first post wow wow wow
-kraken x42
-dark rock tf
-maybe underclocked u9s

I was hyped for c14s till I've read @rapidshrub 's posts in here

specs: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-I GAMING , ryzen 9 3900x, EVGA rtx 2700s
The recommended hassle free setup I would go for the Noctua U9S, as other have mentioned this provides very good and efficient cooling when used in combination with the intake and exhaust fans.

Regarding the BeQuiet Dark Rock TF, technically this could fit, but please bare in mind that it is a very big cooler and there is a high chance that once mounted it will overhang the edge of the motherboard and therefore foul on other components like the 140mm intake fan, or the PSU in the front of the case. Also it is not compatible with every motherboard, here is the page where you can check:

Regarding the Kraken x42 - it is possible to fit a 140mm AIO into the XTD, but it will be a tight fit and is dependant on hole alignments. If you do purchase the x42 I would test fit the radiator/fan first before mounting the waterpump onto the socket. There will be much higher compatibility with a 120mm AIO. Here are some technical images of the clearances in the XTD:

brokowski

Efficiency Noob
New User
Mar 22, 2020
Thank you for the quick reply! I think I'll go with the u9s then with some additional fans!
You think I should intake on u9s and exhaust on the top or do it the other way around?

I was going with that on the beginning but then overclockers run out of u9s and I've started complicating things.
I'll post the temps once I'll build it.

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018
Thank you for the quick reply! I think I'll go with the u9s then with some additional fans!
You think I should intake on u9s and exhaust on the top or do it the other way around?

Here is a picture of my setup:

The intake fan is on the side (shown unmounted on the photo), and the exhaust is on the rear. There isn't any space left between the top panel and the U9S for a top fan, and there is also no point to using a top fan, due how the fins of the U9S are oriented.

brokowski

Efficiency Noob
New User
Mar 22, 2020
Looks great! :D

I might do something similar with the difference that I already have a noctua slim 120mm fan for the side panel.

What CPU are you using and what temps are you getting?

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018
Just in case anyone was still wondering about the Red Dragon 5700 XT. I found a good deal in a local shop and finally decided to replace my RX 5700 XT reference card with the Red Dragon.

TL;DR: it can be made to fit, but it's an extremely tight fit.

As we predicted in this topic earlier, the problem is the height of the card, and particularly the location of the PCIe connectors. There are a number of "low profile" PCIe connectors sold online, and most of those are just ugly hacks. None are sold nearby though, so I had to get creative. I took a simple PCIe adapter and basically cut down some millimeters off the plastic. Using this "hacked" connector I was able to barely fit the Red Dragon.

For those interested, here are a few pictures from the process.

Was it worth it?

I like that the Red Dragon is much more slient than the reference card, it basically shuts its fans down when the GPU goes below 60 C. However, this card is also not without noise, so if you want a totally silent PC, look elsewhere. Also, the performance is in the same ballpark as the other RX 5700 XT cards, at least I don't believe that the more expensive models are worth the extra price, so I would only recommend getting the Red Dragon if you can find a good deal.

Reactions: K888D and owliwar

jirachijirachi

Caliper Novice
Jul 16, 2018
I've had some time to play around with the Silver Arrow 130 and a Cryorig XT 140. The XT 140 was noisy due to turbulence so I installed a NF-A12x15 that I had on hand and don't get any noise with it, so its found its home. I really cant recommend the Silver Arrow over the NH-D9S with the stock fan but prefer this setup aesthetically. My goal was to install everything with the tower rotated perpendicular to the RAM and in line with the front fan but could only install the stock fan in that orientation because true 120mm fans hit the RAM and motherboard I/O. So while you can install the Silver Arrow 130 in any orientation on AMD platforms, unlike the D9S, you're limited to the stock fan which I couldn't stand. I never did any true testing but from what I can tell the thermals are only marginally better than the D9S; however, the D9S is quieter than the Silver Arrow with the stock fan. My current setup gives me the best acoustics overall. I'm generally seeing CPU temperatures in the low 70's CPU while gaming (3600, PBO off) and low 70's on the 2080.

Here's a few pictures with everything installed, I plan to replace everything in the future with Chromax fans.

I am pretty sure that you could turn the D9L 90 degree with AM4 socket. You'll need the other two brackets that come in the AM4 kit.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I'm wondering, would the RTX 3000 series, or the RX 6000 series cards fit in the LZ7 XTD?
As far as I know there is no 2 slots RTX 3080 card, except FE version but FE is too long for XTD (285mm vs 280mm).

Thus simple answer : there is no RTX 3080 compatible with XTD, at least currently.

Regarding RX6000 series you need to wait for late october.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I am currently working on a thicker front panel kit which extends the GPU clearance by 10mm up to 290mm total. But as @MarcParis points out you will still be restricted to 2 slot cards only.

This new front panel kit also allows you to fit an extra 120mm fan into the front of the case if you don't need to use the storage panel. I will post some photos of the development soon.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I am currently working on a thicker front panel kit which extends the GPU clearance by 10mm up to 290mm total. But as @MarcParis points out you will still be restricted to 2 slot cards only.

This new front panel kit also allows you to fit an extra 120mm fan into the front of the case if you don't need to use the storage panel. I will post some photos of the development soon.
Will you update XTD to go to 3 slots GPU as market is leading to that direction?