Production Lazer3D - LZ XTD - Alternative Designs

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Stands available at the same time, or is that going to be a later thing?
Yes the stands will be available from launch. I actually started packing them today!

The XTD has been through a few photoshoots this week, hopefully should have some updated images I can start sharing next week.

Reactions: rfarmer

giraffesinmybalcony

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 15, 2018
@K888D not sure if you know this, but someone on reddit has blatantly ripped off your entire design with minute changes and are planning to sell them at ~$100-200 () this has to violate some kind of copyright/intellectual property, no? i hate to see this happening, especially to small startups

Reactions: rfarmer and K888D

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
It’s 13l, ugly, uses a riser to have a different layout, and the creator seems to only vaguely be thinking about selling it. Doesn’t seem too problematic.

Reactions: K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
@K888D not sure if you know this, but someone on reddit has blatantly ripped off your entire design with minute changes and are planning to sell them at ~$100-200 () this has to violate some kind of copyright/intellectual property, no? i hate to see this happening, especially to small startups
Those cornes look familiar, but the rest of the case seems unique enough, I wish them luck! Their comment regarding Lazer3D pricing though, I would be interested to see if they still have the same opinion once they've made a few hundred cases :)

It’s 13l, ugly, uses a riser to have a different layout, and the creator seems to only vaguely be thinking about selling it. Doesn’t seem too problematic.

Thanks, as you say I think the layout is different enough thats its not just a direct copy.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Completely different layout, maybe similar 3D printed corners , But that's literally the most efficient way to do it (many of @CC Ricers Designs feature a similar aesthetic). Really, the whole "clone" thing is stupid. We already had to deal with the Loque/Steck thing, and how many cases being accused of being DAN A4 clones, again?

Really, please, just. Don't.

Thanks.

Reactions: rfarmer

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2018
How hard is it going to be with the LZ7 XTD to replace just the graphics card? How much do I have to disasseble the case and the rest of the components in order to do it?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
How hard is it going to be with the LZ7 XTD to replace just the graphics card? How much do I have to disasseble the case and the rest of the components in order to do it?

Technically you can just remove the top panel and undo the screws that hold the PCI bracket down, if you can access the PCIe slot retention tab you can then just pull the GPU out. For more tricky or larger GPU's you may need to remove the GPU side panel as well to give a bit more room or access to work with.

But that should be it really, no need to remove any other parts of the case or components.

TunaAlien

Caliper Novice
Oct 11, 2019
First post here. Just dropping by to say I'm really looking forward to the LZ7 XTD! Will make a fantastic first build project.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
First post here. Just dropping by to say I'm really looking forward to the LZ7 XTD! Will make a fantastic first build project.
Thank you and welcome to the forum.

Almost there, final launch stock will be delivered to Overclockers UK early next. At the moment I am working with them preparing photography and product pages ready for a launch hopefully before the end of October.

PeGys

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 13, 2019
So, I am following the LZ7 for a while and now found this XTD version which would be great for a build I have in mind.
I've been scrolling a bit through this forum and was just wondering if it would be possible to mount a 92mm fan/rad on the top or rear panel as I still have a 545LC from Asetek around.

The PSU would be left out and I would try and fit 2x 10TB discs in there and use a g-unique external PSU.

Also, if a 92mm mount is not possible, will the schematics of the top panel be available to have a custom one created ?

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
So, I am following the LZ7 for a while and now found this XTD version which would be great for a build I have in mind.

Thank you for the support!

I've been scrolling a bit through this forum and was just wondering if it would be possible to mount a 92mm fan/rad on the top or rear panel as I still have a 545LC from Asetek around.

Yes you can mount an AIO inside the XTD as long as you select the XL-Vent Top Panel option. This panel type has slot spacings that allow you to mount a variety of things to the top panel, including 80mm, 92mm, 120mm and 140mm fans. There is space to mount a 120mm AIO with relative ease, or some of the more compact 140mm AIOs. There may even be a possibility to mount 240mm radiator (this is untested) if you only mount 1x 120mm (i.e. the other half of the radiator will be located above the SFX PSU).

You can mount an AIO in the XTD at the same time as an SFX PSU, you do not need to use DC-DC power supply to do this.

The PSU would be left out and I would try and fit 2x 10TB discs in there and use a g-unique external PSU.

I presume you are referring to 3.5" drives? The LZ7 and XTD have space to mount 2x 2.5" drives but they do not have out of the box support for mounting 3.5" drives.

If your replacing the SFX PSU with a DC-DC PSU then you may free up space for mounting 2 large drives yes, but you would need to find some way of securing them.

TunaAlien

Caliper Novice
Oct 11, 2019
What's the GPU clearance in this thing? I have a feeling the Gigabyte Gaming OC (5700 XT) will *just* be too long (280 mm).

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
What's the GPU clearance in this thing? I have a feeling the Gigabyte Gaming OC (5700 XT) will *just* be too long (280 mm).
There is an absolute maximum GPU length clearance of 280mm from the front to back panel, I'm unsure about the 5700XT cards, there seems to be conflicting information from various sources about their length. I've seen on some spec sheets they are longer than 280mm, which would mean they won't fit.

TunaAlien

Caliper Novice
Oct 11, 2019
There is an absolute maximum GPU length clearance of 280mm from the front to back panel, I'm unsure about the 5700XT cards, there seems to be conflicting information from various sources about their length. I've seen on some spec sheets they are longer than 280mm, which would mean they won't fit.
Well that would make things interesting, wouldn't it... I will try to do more research and see if I can find a definitive answer. Only just cramming a GPU into the case feels very in the spirit of SFF.
Thanks for the response.