Cooling KMPKT Heatsink and Fan Poll

How much would you pay for a full copper L9i style heatsink and fan (i.e. Fair Market Price)?

• Less than 39.99 USD

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 39.99 USD

Votes: 19 8.9%
  • 44.99 USD

Votes: 31 14.5%
  • 49.99 USD

Votes: 78 36.4%
  • 54.99 USD

Votes: 29 13.6%
  • Over 54.99 USD

Votes: 47 22.0%

• Total voters

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
One quick question: will this heatsink perform well if I use a fan in a upward draft/outward pressure configuration?

It should perform fine. I will need to test to be certain.

my C14S already has this... does nickel rust?

I believe most heatsinks are nickel plated to combat corrosion (ie. it doesn't rust nearly as easily as other metals)

Eigua

Trash Compacter
Jan 25, 2018
@Kmpkt This is a great thread and a great idea. Have you thought about doing a Kickstarter, pre-sales, or some other form of crowdsourcing to help fund it?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
This will depend very much on the tooling and production costs to make the swappable baseplates for TR4/2066 as well as the provision of compatible mounting hardware for these socket being already manufactured by my manufacturer of choice. Tooling costs and production volumes for the entire TR4/2066 baseplate and mounting solution will likely be prohibitive initially, but if I only have to pay for copper baseplate tooling then it may be manageable.

My primary uses for the heatsink (ie. the reason I made it in the first place) are 1151/AM4 and MXM. Because the MXM unit can (likely) use the same baseplate as the 1151/AM4 heatsink, merely repositioned, I am hopeful that all I will need to do to make this model work is design a modified mounting kit. 2066/TR4 will obviously require a much larger baseplate and beefier mounting to be as fully effective as possible.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I keep forgetting about this and Josh keeps reminding me so I always end up coming back to check in on this and now that I'm finally posting in here I'm subscribed .Lol

Reactions: AleksandarK

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Awesome. Hoping to have four prototypes with various material and pipe combinations (copper vs all, 2 vs 3 pipe, etc) ready in mid to late march. Unfortunately the fabricator for my heatsink fins has a 35 business day turn around (we're around day 10) and we'll still need to have assembly done once those parts arrive.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Beta testing likely won't happen (the prototypes average about 1500 USD each), but once I finalize the design and find a manufacturer I trust I will be prepping for a Kickstarter and/or launching presales of SFFlab.com

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Beta testing likely won't happen (the prototypes average about 1500 USD each), but once I finalize the design and find a manufacturer I trust I will be prepping for a Kickstarter and/or launching presales of SFFlab.com
Eager to see your heatsink..:)

Reactions: Commissariat

SilverFox18

Trash Compacter
Sep 29, 2017
Just wondering if there was a imminent announcement regarding KS campaign or trusted manufacturer found… ? Not wishing to exert pressure - just keen :):thumb: Cheers

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Couldn't get a satisfactory assembly jig made, so we're getting a bunch of 1.6mm shims made instead. Has added about 3 weeks to the timeline unfortunately as turnaround times were less than ideal on these parts : /