Cooling How good is the Noctua L9 heatsink without considering the included fan?

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
I've realised I've got about 250mm between the top of the I/O risers and the bottom of my case lid; that's the highest point, RAM also seems identical (Vengeance LPX). My Ryzen APU currently has the L9a-AM4, so I'm thinking I could take off the Noctua fan and mount a 15 or 16cm fan into the lid of the case; I'd need to drill suitable ventilation and mount points but it could be worth it. Then I'd blow simply over the entire case from this.
As far as the CPU is concerned, I think I should get at least as much airflow on the heatsick as I am currently getting from the stock fan. So it shoudln't be any worse, -but-, it got me thinking that maybe a better heatsink is feasible as I do have an extra 10mm to work with after I remove the stock fan. I imagine the gains would be relatively minor, but just in case there is a killer option somewhere.. got me interested in how the Noctua hs itself compares.

Reactions: confusis

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
It is certainly one of the best easily available coolers and is only bested by the LP53 with a slim fan. Once you get to 58mm you have many more options.

For ryzen you can't get a better cooler than NH-L9 until you get to 65mm. The C7 is mostly similar performance but has a worse fan. None of the 58mm coolers fit Ryzen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz