Cooling Passive low profile CPU heatsink cooled by case fans

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
As in the title, my planned build will hopefully use a Realan W80 case and house a 65W APU (undecided which one but may hold out for Raven Ridge). The cooler height clearance for this case with 2.5" HDD installed is 52mm.

Image of W80:

http://www.minicase.net/product_E-W80.html

The Wraith Stealth cooler is around 50mm with the fan. But I suspect the 2mm clearance to a solid wall is insufficient to pull in enough air for cooling. Also in general I think the clearances are too little to effectively use any type of air cooler on the CPU and so I've been considering passive methods.

If I install twin 60mm case fans and have a low enough passive heatsink I'm thinking it may be possible to have generous airflow across the case and also have good CPU cooling. I considered the Wraith Stealth cooler minus the fan - but I don't think it'll be very good. But what other heatsink to consider?

Based on reviews the best candidate I've come across seems to be Prolimatech's Samuel 17. But unfortunately it does not seem as though this cooler is available (or even will be available) with an AM4 bracket.

So I'm in the market for a cooler that will do decently well without the fan. Specifically a cooler with the heat sink only less than 50mm tall. The Samuel seems to be designed to work adequately when passive, but not many coolers are that way, and low profile passive coolers a rare species. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

A pity about the Samuel. It reminds of a passive cooler I had a long time when I used to own a LGA775 Prescott processor. The fan bundled with that CPU annoyed me to no end for far too long. Until I decided that I'd had enough and, after reading a few reviews, I purchased a Thermalright Ultima 90, a tower cooler designed to be run passively but which could house a 90mm fan if needed. I stuck it into my box and for many years after enjoyed nothing but silence. The Samuel 17 reminds me a lot of that cooler - understated yet brimming with ambition. I'd love to try it but compatibility will be an issue.

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
I'm probably beyond out of touch, but about 16-17 years ago I used to use Cooljag for low profile cooling solutions. Their skiving technic was at that point in its infancy and much needed as P4 CPU's got hotter and hotter and we were trying to dissipate heat from very small systems.

Anyway that sort of thing, probably not relevant these days.
http://www.cooljag.com/en/product_001.php?sn=4&class=30&class2=34&prod=129

But if you want a passive heatsink sub 50mm, you'll probably need to look for a 1U one in copper, You might find something for 2U hight that's within 50mm but most tend to be around the 60-70mm height mark.

Reactions: Shahmatt

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
I'm probably beyond out of touch, but about 16-17 years ago I used to use Cooljag for low profile cooling solutions. Their skiving technic was at that point in its infancy and much needed as P4 CPU's got hotter and hotter and we were trying to dissipate heat from very small systems.

Anyway that sort of thing, probably not relevant these days.
http://www.cooljag.com/en/product_001.php?sn=4&class=30&class2=34&prod=129

But if you want a passive heatsink sub 50mm, you'll probably need to look for a 1U one in copper, You might find something for 2U hight that's within 50mm but most tend to be around the 60-70mm height mark.

Nice looking cooler though. Thanks for the tip.

Cut vents in the top panel to let an active top-down cooler (Wraith) breathe?

I've thought about it and decided against the idea. A few reasons:
1. This is going to be a semi portable box and so the environments in which it may be setup may vary. Having the top closed is kind of useful to protect the insides from dust or any accidental spillage/debris.

2. If I do open it up I'll need to also affix a dust filter there. The current plan is to have dust filters in all intake fans. Given the clearances I don't know if I'll have space.

3. Air blowing down and air blowing sideways may conflict. Of course the CPU fan can be the only intake. But I'm not sure about how effective just the single fan will be to cool the entire case.

4. Last not least, I don't have a cutting tool, and I fear I will not do a neat job. I suppose I can hire a guy though.... hmmm!

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017