Stalled kees KogelMier - a tiny powerhouse

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I ordered the GPU Power PCB a couple of days ago, Hopefully I can test it before years end.

Edit:
I'm in the process of ordering some chips and wire from mouser but I'm also going to need a crimptool for the terminals.
I've worked with the MDPC crimper and it was good, but his shop hasn't been open for sooooo long.

I'm contemplating on getting this one but it's so cheap I feel like it isn't going to be good. Anyone have a good source? either in Europe or somewhere with low shipping costs.

http://www.highflow.nl/toebehoren/modding-toebehoren/crimping-plier-tool-for-molex-awg-18-28.html

Also looking to get the Lamptron modding tool kit, anyone have experience with it? I've read some of the "bits" break rather fast.
http://www.highflow.nl/modding/flex-sleeves-and-heatshrinks/tools/lamptron-modding-tool-kit.html

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
At work I'm using the official Molex tool which works like a dream, but at over 200€, it's a though sell. Still, the efficiency you gain from it is mind-boggling and helps a lot when you crimp an awful lot of the exact same terminal and want to make sure that every connection turns out perfect and to specification.
What I prefer as an affordable alternative are universal tools like this one. You have to crimp insulation and contact surface separately, so it's a bit more work, but that way you can crimp pretty much any terminals you could want and can make different wire gauges work better as well. For experimentation, these are a lot better, and after a bit of practice, the quality of the connections is pretty much rock-solid.

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
That PA-20 looks like a good idea, although right now I don't have the intention to crimp stuff other then the regular PC terminals. Unfortunately no shipment to the Netherlands. The real deal crimp tools are indeed the very best, but those prices make them only worth it for professional use.

I think I'll try out the crimper in my link, even if it is horrible in use, as long as the crimps are good I'll manage for now.

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Your a boss! People around me say I'm good a google-fu but I'm clearly beaten here :p.

I'm going to get that one, thanks!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've bought the MDPC crimper a few years back and it has served me well, although it isn't as "plug and crimp" as I expected it to be. The cable itself is very important, I have found some that seems to be a good match but I still have bad crimps now and then.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Just a small update today.
I've gotten my prototype PCBs in yesterday and I've soldered the components I have on hand onto it.

Just waiting on the 8-pin SMT chip and the 2-pin fan header and then I can test!

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Such awesomeness, it's really interesting to see the level of customization you are doing to get to your goal. This PCB would be on many wishlists for builds with external PSUs, is there a platform or company that could potentially make these on-demand or does everything need to be sourced seperately ?

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks! Sometimes I wonder if I might be overthinking some of the things I do. I don't quite understand what you mean with the last question.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I was thinking miles ahead and probably not something you'd be interested in. I expect others will soon ask where they would be able to buy these. If you decided to let other people make or buy these without you doing everything to get it done, maybe this could be outsourced to firms that make these kinds of PCBs ? That finished PCB you made has a bare PCB, connectors and electrical components. Maybe selling these as a kit or finished product could be something interesting.

Reactions: QinX

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Yeah, I'd definitely be down for that, either selling a kit or finished PCB. This might serve as a nice add-on to a PicoPSU for a higher wattage GPU without needing to mod the PicoPSU. I've learned from H2O-Micro that modding stuff is cool, but not everyone wants or can do it.

Let us first see if the PCB works as intended. I'd probably make another revision anyway, with some protection and caps to smooth voltages.

@Josh | NFC I've got a question you are probably the best man for to ask. Is PicoPSU a straight 12V passthrough/switch or does it do some voltage regulating/conditioning?

Reactions: Phuncz

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Yeah, I'd definitely be down for that, either selling a kit or finished PCB. This might serve as a nice add-on to a PicoPSU for a higher wattage GPU without needing to mod the PicoPSU. I've learned from H2O-Micro that modding stuff is cool, but not everyone wants or can do it.

I would LOVE to stock these for you. :)

@Josh | NFC I've got a question you are probably the best man for to ask. Is PicoPSU a straight 12V passthrough/switch or does it do some voltage regulating/conditioning?

Hehe, thanks for the vote of confidence but it might be misplaced. XD

It does do some power regulating in the form of over-voltage protection and has some chokes for cleaner signal--but other than that...you'll notice that me turning up the output voltage on that meanwell brick was necessary to get the amperage to my 285ITX with my sloppy wiring harness. I think that might be a better answer to your question...

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Thank for the offer, I might be good to have some overseas for that, although this is going to be a tiny package, so worldwide shipping is cheap. The main benefit would be time it would be underway.

Hehe, thanks for the vote of confidence but it might be misplaced. XD

It does do some power regulating in the form of over-voltage protection and has some chokes for cleaner signal--but other than that...you'll notice that me turning up the output voltage on that meanwell brick was necessary to get the amperage to my 285ITX with my sloppy wiring harness. I think that might be a better answer to your question...

Yeah I figured as much. I will have to look into that for the next revision if only to prevent some janky ass china adapter that has 1Vpp ripple from destroying the GPU.

With regards to you turning up the output voltage on your meanwell. That is because you are compensating the voltage drop over the wires because of the high current and high wire resistance. Right?

Edit:
I just watched your 285 ITX mod video over on [H] and it's what you say, you have a pretty big voltage drop and hot wires because of the higher current and high resistance of the wire. either thicker gauge or more wires in parallel would've done the trick even better. I'm not a big fan of the enclosed type AC-DC PSU you are suggesting, meanwell is a good 2nd tier brand, they sit nicely between the awfull chinese powersupplies and the over engineered japanese ones. I've used a lot of different meanwells, from 120W up to 3000W beasts, good stuff ;p

That molex to 8-pin though, I loved it and it made me cringe at the same time :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Thank for the offer, I might be good to have some overseas for that, although this is going to be a tiny package, so worldwide shipping is cheap. The main benefit would be time it would be underway.

Yeah I figured as much. I will have to look into that for the next revision if only to prevent some janky ass china adapter that has 1Vpp ripple from destroying the GPU.

With regards to you turning up the output voltage on your meanwell. That is because you are compensating the voltage drop over the wires because of the high current and high wire resistance. Right?

Edit:
I just watched your 285 ITX mod video over on [H] and it's what you say, you have a pretty big voltage drop and hot wires because of the higher current and high resistance of the wire. either thicker gauge or more wires in parallel would've done the trick even better. I'm not a big fan of the enclosed type AC-DC PSU you are suggesting, meanwell is a good 2nd tier brand, they sit nicely between the awfull chinese powersupplies and the over engineered japanese ones. I've used a lot of different meanwells, from 120W up to 3000W beasts, good stuff ;p

That molex to 8-pin though, I loved it and it made me cringe at the same time :D

Hehe, yeah I don't RECOMMEND IT, it just was an espeerimint. :)

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Spent some time making a wiring harness for the R9 Nano. Made some cable organisers just for giggles.

Edit:
Just received the tracking info for the remaining parts that are needed for the PCB, it should be here on Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJVR1 and Phuncz