Concept Asus 1081ti In A 3 Liter Build?

Todayican2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Hi All!

I've been lurking for a while now, and am buying parts now for my first REALLY small machine..

All the "published measurements" work to get me just above 3 liters (with whole PSU onboard)

A few questions:

Anyone actually have an Asus 1080ti Turbo blower edition (Like this one) https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/TURBO-GTX1080TI-11G/specifications/ They can measure for me?

I get to where my card is in 2 weeks (I travel a lot and am in SE Asia at the moment) and I am wondering: the published measurements are 1.5" x 4.38" x 10.5" does that include the lower PCI mount itself? and does the 10.5 include the half inch or so that the pci plate sticks out at the side where the ports are?

Essentially the card will lay flat using a 9cm riser to make the 90 degree bend and the distance between 6.7 for the board and 10.something will be occupied by an HDPLEX or G-Unique (Thoughts on which is better?, does Gury do an internal ac-dc adapter?)

So looking at dimensions of 10.9 x 10.5 x 1.63 or less depending on the questions above.

Thanks!

Reactions: AleksandarK

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Card measurements typically don't include the PCI bracket. See my post on component space requirements (section 3 for the GPU). You also need to allow enough room for the PCIe power connectors, increasing the effective height of the card (by around 0.6-0.8" minimum).

Do you want to support a standard motherboard rear I/O shield? You won't be able to do that in only 1.63" - expect a minimum of at least 2". Likewise, the width will likely end up over 12".

Todayican2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
I'm thinking 2 of the HDPlex160s and a single HDPlex 300w internal (Maxes out at 380 from what I can tell)

I'm driving myself NUTS trying to figure out a way to stuff a full size 1080ti (well a 10.5" blower edition anyway) in under 3 liters :-)

I poured over Ncere's post and I might have a way to avoid the "PCI post height penalty" :-)

I SO wish I knew how to use sketchup.. lol

So it goes like this: Use a flexible riser in the PCIe slot, and lay the ti butted against the board and have the flexible riser do a bit of an "s turn" down to the slot. Also, I found these: which look like maybe 3mm or so once bent over the end of the card. so maybe 6.7 board, 4.5 card with the pci plug overhanging the board and 1/8" for the power giving a total length of 11.2

then, above the card on the power side of the board, install the 1 160 in the slot, and one wherever else it will fit. and the

If my math is right, all the components should add up to 1.62 in height across the board and 11.2 x 10.5 for a volume of 3.12 liters (plus the width of the shell)

Close, so close..

What am I missing?

Reactions: AleksandarK

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I'm thinking 2 of the HDPlex160s and a single HDPlex 300w internal (Maxes out at 380 from what I can tell)

I'm driving myself NUTS trying to figure out a way to stuff a full size 1080ti (well a 10.5" blower edition anyway) in under 3 liters :-)

I poured over Ncere's post and I might have a way to avoid the "PCI post height penalty" :-)

I SO wish I knew how to use sketchup.. lol

So it goes like this: Use a flexible riser in the PCIe slot, and lay the ti butted against the board and have the flexible riser do a bit of an "s turn" down to the slot. Also, I found these: which look like maybe 3mm or so once bent over the end of the card. so maybe 6.7 board, 4.5 card with the pci plug overhanging the board and 1/8" for the power giving a total length of 11.2

then, above the card on the power side of the board, install the 1 160 in the slot, and one wherever else it will fit. and the

If my math is right, all the components should add up to 1.62 in height across the board and 11.2 x 10.5 for a volume of 3.12 liters (plus the width of the shell)

Close, so close..

What am I missing?
Orrr you could just wait for the Vega nano >.>

Reactions: Elerek

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I'm thinking 2 of the HDPlex160s and a single HDPlex 300w internal (Maxes out at 380 from what I can tell
Do you mean like two of the 160 AC-DC and one 300AC-DC powering two DC-ATX PSUs or what. Dont relay on that 380W output because it can hold that for a few ssconds, it wont handle 1080 TI. What CPU are you using.

Todayican2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
7700k. I was planning to set the power targets back a touch and use just the board, cpu and gpu off of system power, the data i've been seeing (Mostly from the miners) looks like you can throttle it back a bit and still get a bunch out of it (Plus theres always using the internal and adding a supplemental brick for heavy VR use I suppose.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I heard that GTX 1080 TI undervolts extremly good. Some guy menaged 0.9 V at ~1900Mhz. Plus you can set a power limit to arround 70-80% and be fine. @msystems undervolted a 1080 and droped to 100W. You can go to arround 150-180W depending on your card and how low you want to go with clocks.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
You can undervolt the CPU and GPU a little bit without hurting performance,, usually 10% is fine. If you get a good chip, it could be even more.

Similar to the GTX 1080, the TI is efficient at watts per clockspeed, but you pay a heavy price premium for this efficiency once you stop using the full TDP of the card and lower the voltage to a point where it is impacting the performance. If you limit the Ti's TDP to the same level as a GTX 1070 (150 watts) it will outperform the 1070 given the same power level. The question at that point is whether the huge price difference is worth the performance gains instead of just purchasing a 1070 instead.

Of course, that's up to you... but instead of the two 160 watt adapters, I suggest an external 400W+ modded DC brick, and a 400 watt internal DC-ATX so you can use the whole power limit.

Last edited: