K-13R - mITX build

papakier

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
Hi internet,

I would like to share my SFF build.

"What's in the box?":
CPU: Intel i5 6600K (will be overclock in the future)
CPU cooler: Cryorig C7
MB: Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5
GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070
RAM: Gskill TridentZ 2x8GB
PSU: Corsair SF600
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo
Extras: I will be using PCIe Riser: EZDIY 9cm
Case: custom build**

**I'm making my very own mITX SFF case. This has been in my mind for years until I have had the time to finally work on it. I did draw it on Sketchup and will be moving it to Solidworks for my final build. I will name it, K-13R. Yeah yeah, it's kinda my name. :cool: LOL

Dimensions are roughly 324 x 125 x 234 in mm (L x W x H), around 9.5L. Planning it to scratch build it with cardboard first.

So here's a look of K-13R. (credits to the owners of .skp models I used - mobo bundle, gpu, fans, psu, ssd)

As you may think, it is 9.5L. Why? Why not smaller? Actually, I thought of many (as in f'in many for years, some are already thought of, one of them is Dan A4 sfx.. props to Dan case, very great build!) component layouts until I arrived with this one. I designed it so that it may support most of full size GPUs in the market, taller CPU coolers, also liquid cooling (if you opt to) with 120mm rad while showcasing all of components thru a dope side panel window. Also additional fans of maximum dimension of 120mm and 80mm, in front and back, respectively. Well you can add another fan on top, depending on the motherboard, I think.

As for the air flow, I think this is very much plausible and may not heat up.

So, what do you think about the build? the K-13R case? the look?
Do you have any suggestions or comments?

Feel free to offer some suggestions. I will post updates. ;)

Peace. :thumb:

UPDATES:

PSU mounts changed orientation for better airflow.

Additional pics for appreciation:

Airflow:

Also, I've been reading on Aibohphobia's build on STX160 and I am learning a LOT. Seriously. I'm also considering using Ansys SpaceClaim for my final design.:thumb:

Last edited:

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I like it, but personally the I don't like the vents, otherwise I like it. It's a personal preference.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's hard to tell from just that one pic, how does the PSU mount?

papakier

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
I like it, but personally the I don't like the vents, otherwise I like it. It's a personal preference.

Actually you have the same comment with my brother. LOL I'm looking into some vent designs though. Anyhow, thanks for the comment!:thumb:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If it's just for aesthetics that's fine, but wouldn't you want the rear of the PSU facing forward so it can exhaust through the front vents?

Otherwise the upper section of the front vents doesn't really serve any purpose.

Reactions: Phuncz

papakier

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
For the psu, im planning to reverse its fan pushing air out of the case. It is in that position so that cables can be properly managed in the space alloted.

Otherwise, I get your point. Do you think cables can be managed easily with the orientation you suggest?

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I think that connecting the PSU cables to the PSU in the orientation shown above looks very tight. How much clearance do you have for the connectors to the PSU between the PSU and the inside of the case?

papakier

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
I think that connecting the PSU cables to the PSU in the orientation shown above looks very tight. How much clearance do you have for the connectors to the PSU between the PSU and the inside of the case?
It is 25mm..

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Otherwise, I get your point. Do you think cables can be managed easily with the orientation you suggest?

The stock cables are rather stiff so I'm not sure.

If you're going to make custom-sleeved cables then having the connectors facing rearward would both show off the sleeving better and allow for shorter runs.

Reactions: Phuncz and papakier

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Or, perhaps can rotate the PSU so fan is on the right, and exhaust up? (Basically the PSU will be in vertical orientation). Not sure if the case dimension permits. Perhaps the case needs to be taller.

I personally like the vents, simple. You can google "perforated panel pattern", you'll see a lot of other examples :)

Btw, what's attached on the bottom right side panel (behind the vents)? Fan? or extra drives?

papakier

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
The stock cables are rather stiff so I'm not sure.

If you're going to make custom-sleeved cables then having the connectors facing rearward would both show off the sleeving better and allow for shorter runs.

Right. I'll just make the mounting variable to either orientation.

papakier

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
Btw, what's attached on the bottom right side panel (behind the vents)? Fan? or extra drives?

It will be depending on the configuration. It could be a radiator (if liquid cooled), a 120mm fan, or extra drive.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Good start on the case. I personally like how this is going with the design and layout. Some feedback notes:

I was expecting the PSU to have the exhaust pointed upwards, especially with the top side completely ventilated.
Where is the rear IEC power connector going to go? I'm guessing you're going to route the PSU power cable to the back but I don't see a place where you plan to route it to.
I have the same concerns on the stiffness of the PSU cables to turn around in the space allowed for them. Rotating the PSU would be a better orientation, then you can just use a single 90 degree cable for the mains power.

Reactions: papakier

papakier

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
Good start on the case. I personally like how this is going with the design and layout. Some feedback notes:

I was expecting the PSU to have the exhaust pointed upwards, especially with the top side completely ventilated.
Where is the rear IEC power connector going to go? I'm guessing you're going to route the PSU power cable to the back but I don't see a place where you plan to route it to.
I have the same concerns on the stiffness of the PSU cables to turn around in the space allowed for them. Rotating the PSU would be a better orientation, then you can just use a single 90 degree cable for the mains power.

Yeap. The exhaust fan is pointing upward. Will revise such that psu vents will be facing front vents of the case..

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
And here I was about 2 weeks ago, brainstorming a case with nearly the exact same layout. I even got a student version of Autocad through my school to throw some ideas together...

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
And here I was about 2 weeks ago, brainstorming a case with nearly the exact same layout.

There's only so many ways to arrange computer parts that make sense physically, thermally, and aesthetically so it's pretty common for different people to independently arrive at the same conclusion regarding basic layout. With case design though, basic layout is really just 10% of a design, the rest is implementation of all the little details.

Reactions: eiff and Phuncz

papakier

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
With case design though, basic layout is really just 10% of a design, the rest is implementation of all the little details.
I can totally agree with this. As I should make my measurements and layout very surely before fabricating my first prototype for me to save some bucks instead re-doing it all. That's also why I am sharing my design to have a better output in case I'm missing some ideas and/or considerations.

Reactions: Phuncz and jeshikat

papakier

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
Can anyone help me on how should I layout the bends on the metal sheet? Should I add clearances or cuts on the part that will be bent? i.e. the bents wherein side panels will be screwed with.