Production J-HACK PURE XL - 6.5L

maxdfw

Smol Form Factor
Aug 21, 2019
Okay, here’s some quick pictures of the build mostly finished before I upgrade my CPU cooler.

Going to be getting some kind of L bracket for the back to better secure the GPU since I plan on orienting the case on its side and the GPU massively sags currently.

Reactions: Weredawg

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Okay, here’s some quick pictures of the build mostly finished before I upgrade my CPU cooler.

Going to be getting some kind of L bracket for the back to better secure the GPU since I plan on orienting the case on its side and the GPU massively sags currently.

The first the show of the build! Congrats.

I never really planned for someone to have it sideways. I think a thick piece of foam should support the gpu against the panel. You should also try to push the rear plate towards the gpu bracket to see if it helps.

Do you have any feedback? Is the power input position good?

BTW, my black screws finally came in. Let me know if you want them.

Reactions: maxdfw

maxdfw

Smol Form Factor
Aug 21, 2019
The first the show of the build! Congrats.

I never really planned for someone to have it sideways. I think a thick piece of foam should support the gpu against the panel. You should also try to push the rear plate towards the gpu bracket to see if it helps.

Do you have any feedback? Is the power input position good?

BTW, my black screws finally came in. Let me know if you want them.

The power input is perfect! I absolutely love everything about this case. Couldn't ask for anything else.

The L bracket on the back for the GPU will make it rock solid. I'm going to have the GPU facing up. But the bracket you include works great if you're just orienting the case normally.

I'm also going to remove my I/O shield and put some spacers on the motherboard standoffs so I can fit an EK heatsink on my M.2 port under the board. (Just temporary to cool my 970EVO until I get a new motherboard that has a top mounted M.2 slot)

Which screws are you talking about though? All the outside ones that came with mine are black.

Here are some much better color pics now that I've had some more time with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHig and Weredawg

maxdfw

Smol Form Factor
Aug 21, 2019
Also going to cut a piece of acrylic the size of the SFX psu opening so I can mount an 60mm Noctua exhaust fan there.

I ordered another slim 92mm noctua fan to go next to my current one on the CPU side to act as an intake under the case when I position it on it's side.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Also going to cut a piece of acrylic the size of the SFX psu opening so I can mount an 60mm Noctua exhaust fan there.

I ordered another slim 92mm noctua fan to go next to my current one on the CPU side to act as an intake under the case when I position it on it's side.

Sweet.

Here are some other things you can do:

1. Remove the stock GPU fan and install a 120/140mm 25mm (or 20mm) thick fans.
2. Use 92mm fans for the rear exhaust. The rear acrylic piece can act as a fan guard. The cutout holes can actually work with most fan screws.
3. Or switch to the Scythe Choten and the intake fan gets really close to the top panel. No rear fan needed. Or use a Nocuta U9S.
4. You may not need standoffs. These standoffs are actually about 8.4mm in height, so 2mm taller than "standard" standoffs.

Concerning the screws, I am referring to the ones inside and on the rear.

Reactions: smitty2k1

maxdfw

Smol Form Factor
Aug 21, 2019
Sweet.

Here are some other things you can do:

1. Remove the stock GPU fan and install a 120/140mm 25mm (or 20mm) thick fans.
2. Use 92mm fans for the rear exhaust. The rear acrylic piece can act as a fan guard. The cutout holes can actually work with most fan screws.
3. Or switch to the Scythe Choten and the intake fan gets really close to the top panel. No rear fan needed. Or use a Nocuta U9S.
4. You may not need standoffs. These standoffs are actually about 8.4mm in height, so 2mm taller than "standard" standoffs.

Concerning the screws, I am referring to the ones inside and on the rear.

I tried to install the board without the standoffs and the heatsink installed but it was way too tall. Luckily I had some standoffs that were the exact same thread that worked perfect to lift the board up. Everything was going great...

But it turns out there were some exposed traces under the M.2 slot and the heatsink shorted my motherboard and fried my Ryzen 3600. :(
So I took off the standoffs, swapped out my CPU and thankfully everything is back to working. Just going to order a new motherboard with a top mounted M.2 today.

Here's how I've got the case setup now. I love how it looks sideways with my Wifi antennas exposed on the top.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I tried to install the board without the standoffs and the heatsink installed but it was way too tall. Luckily I had some standoffs that were the exact same thread that worked perfect to lift the board up. Everything was going great...

But it turns out there were some exposed traces under the M.2 slot and the heatsink shorted my motherboard and fried my Ryzen 3600.
So I took off the standoffs, swapped out my CPU and thankfully everything is back to working. Just going to order a new motherboard with a top mounted M.2 today.

Here's how I've got the case setup now. I love how it looks sideways with my Wifi antennas exposed on the top.

I think this looks really good stood up like that. Sorry to hear about the m.2 killing the 3600. See if they will still RMA it.

How is the gpu doing upside down?

maxdfw

Smol Form Factor
Aug 21, 2019
I think this looks really good stood up like that. Sorry to hear about the m.2 killing the 3600. See if they will still RMA it.

How is the gpu doing upside down?

Defenitely RMA'ing. Using a 1600X in the meantime that is working great in this. The GPU is working great as well with all that fresh air intake from the top.

I've been meaning to ask, how were your temps with the Scythe Choten? I wanted to get that cooler but I've seen some pretty mixed reviews on it. They say it does a fantastic job of cooling your motherboard, ram, VRM, etc, but at the cost of CPU cooling due to the longer heat pipes. What temperatures were you getting with it in this case?

I'm currently idling at 28c and maxing out at around 48c with the copper core Wraith Spire + the new Wraith Spire's fan and Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Defenitely RMA'ing. Using a 1600X in the meantime that is working great in this. The GPU is working great as well with all that fresh air intake from the top.

I've been meaning to ask, how were your temps with the Scythe Choten? I wanted to get that cooler but I've seen some pretty mixed reviews on it. They say it does a fantastic job of cooling your motherboard, ram, VRM, etc, but at the cost of CPU cooling due to the longer heat pipes. What temperatures were you getting with it in this case?

I'm currently idling at 28c and maxing out at around 48c with the copper core Wraith Spire + the new Wraith Spire's fan and Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste.

Long heatpipes won't affect anything. That's kinda silly, as tons of good coolers have long heatpipes. My temps wouldn't be comparable to yours, haha, as 28c idle infers you have room temp of 20c or so. But it's easily been very good quality and inaudible. It only ramp up a little during my long renders, so likely silent when gaming.

maxdfw

Smol Form Factor
Aug 21, 2019
Picked this Enermax ETS-N31 cooler up stupid cheap at Frys since it was an open box, and slapped on a Noctua fan on it that I had lying around. This is what I love the most about this case, is using a Pico PSU and having a massive amount of room for a CPU cooler. This one is 125mm for anyone wondering.

I'm kinda debating one of those 92mm Asetek 645LT AIO's just for fun since there are 2x 92mm fan mounts on the CPU side.

Also, here's the case with some feet installed. Reminds me of one of the old Lian Li PC-Q cases.

Last edited:

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Wow, I like how that looks in a vertical setup. I didn't like the look of the front ventilation on this case, but all that it needed was to be turned on its side and it really has a different feel to it!

Reactions: maxdfw

Nashural

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 17, 2017
1. How much does pure-xl case weigh?
2. Will it support this CPU cooler with SFX power mounted outside: "be quiet! Dark Rock Tf, BK020"?

Thanks in advance.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
1. How much does pure-xl case weigh?
2. Will it support this CPU cooler with SFX power mounted outside: "be quiet! Dark Rock Tf, BK020"?

Thanks in advance.

1. It weighs about 1 lbs 11 oz or 0.76 kg. It is all aluminum so very light.

2. Maybe. I see the size is 162.6 x 140 x 130.8 so it'll fit heightwise provided your socket placement is centered or otherwise compatible. It'll be quite difficult to install it but I believe it can be done with careful selection of components.

Nashural

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 17, 2017
1. It weighs about 1 lbs 11 oz or 0.76 kg. It is all aluminum so very light.

2. Maybe. I see the size is 162.6 x 140 x 130.8 so it'll fit heightwise provided your socket placement is centered or otherwise compatible. It'll be quite difficult to install it but I believe it can be done with careful selection of components.

Thanks. I just ordered the case btw :)

Whats the max fan height it can support with power supply outside?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
i wonder if there would be any way to install an hd plex 400 in this case? :)

I'm down for making adapters and such.

There is a built in C6. Once I finish the rollout of this case and the plat, I'll be working on bits and pieces like that. An SFX to HDPLEX 400 adapter. The 400 DCATX can be double sided table to the front and use Josh's Skywires.

Reactions: Windfall