Production J-HACK PURE XL - 6.5L

Theez

Caliper Novice
Feb 2, 2019
Can't modify something that predates it ;).
Is it though? I started designing the Humble in 2015 and came out with it in 2018 or 19 can't recall now. My only inspiration was the Lazer3D case but that's no secret. I loved the design! Wanted something similar but made of metal instead of plastic. In any case, this funbox of yours looks awesome and in the end that's what matters. There is only so many designs one could go while planning an ITX case :D

Reactions: rfarmer

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Is it though? I started designing the Humble in 2015 and came out with it in 2018 or 19 can't recall now. My only inspiration was the Lazer3D case but that's no secret. I loved the design! Wanted something similar but made of metal instead of plastic. In any case, this funbox of yours looks awesome and in the end that's what matters. There is only so many designs one could go while planning an ITX case :D
It predates it since you didn’t share publicly until late 2019. How can one modify something without knowledge of its existence?

most of my inspiration came from SG13 and LZ7.

Reactions: Jello

MvKeinen

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2017
Is there enough space to mount the HDplex 400w inside?

This seems to be the perfect case for me. I'm planning a powerful mobile intel APU build for workstation use. No dGPU, no 2.5 ssd.

Mostly Audio production. So I plan to make it as silent as possible. But the CPU has to run at high clocks for many hours. What is the best cpu cooler for this case when using the full height? (no internal PSU)

thanks in dvance

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
What is the best cpu cooler for this case when using the full height?

Probably the Noctua NH-l12S, pretty much undefeated at 70mm. Requires careful RAM selection and isn't compatible with all motherboards thought. Noctua has a nice compatibility checker for motherboards and ram on their website.

EDIT: silly me, that 70mm limit is with the SFX psu of course. Without, you should have 133mm clearance, which allows you to use the Noctua NH-C14S and the Thermalright Silver arrow 130, which are both very capable. With the vent design of this case in mind, I think the Noctua will perform the best, but YMMV.

Reactions: MvKeinen

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Probably the Noctua NH-l12S, pretty much undefeated at 70mm. Requires careful RAM selection and isn't compatible with all motherboards thought. Noctua has a nice compatibility checker for motherboards and ram on their website.

EDIT: silly me, that 70mm limit is with the SFX psu of course. Without, you should have 133mm clearance, which allows you to use the Noctua NH-C14S and the Thermalright Silver arrow 130, which are both very capable. With the vent design of this case in mind, I think the Noctua will perform the best, but YMMV.

This is correct.

Is there enough space to mount the HDplex 400w inside?

This seems to be the perfect case for me. I'm planning a powerful mobile intel APU build for workstation use. No dGPU, no 2.5 ssd.

Mostly Audio production. So I plan to make it as silent as possible. But the CPU has to run at high clocks for many hours. What is the best cpu cooler for this case when using the full height? (no internal PSU)

thanks in dvance

Any of the big top down air coolers, The C14S is great, though it may be a bit of a pain to fit. Alternatively, You can also fit a standard type tower cooler, and have an intake fan where the GPU normally is, if you're using a low profile GPU or no dGPU. Air flow goes from GPU vents-> CPU tower cooler -> Other side vent

I can provide a 3D printed panel that you can double side tape or screw mount the HDPLEX 400W to the SFX slot.

MvKeinen

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2017
I can provide a 3D printed panel that you can double side tape or screw mount the HDPLEX 400W to the SFX slot.
That sounds great! I'm still in the deciding phase. I might even wait for Raptor lake because by then DDR5 and thread director issues might be sorted out. For music production software the e-cores are potentially very useful but what you need is sustained high clocks on a small number of cores. The realtime nature of DAWs (Digital Audio Workstation) and the calculation of hundreds of effects with next to zero latency causes a lot of synchronisation issues between the cores. So the threads tend to get huge and small in number. When it works the e-cores could be a blessing for DAWs because their performance is often hindered by background processes. So I guess I'm looking for the CPU with the highest base clock. That would be the i7 12/13700k

I love this case because in the config I have in mind (no dGPU, no 2.5 SSD and no internal PSU) it has tremendous cooling capacity for its size. I have the Noctua i9 cooler now and for studio operation it is too loud. What I need are big slow-turning fans.

Would there be a chance to add compatibility for two 140mm case fans in a possible MK2 version?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
That sounds great! I'm still in the deciding phase. I might even wait for Raptor lake because by then DDR5 and thread director issues might be sorted out. For music production software the e-cores are potentially very useful but what you need is sustained high clocks on a small number of cores. The realtime nature of DAWs (Digital Audio Workstation) and the calculation of hundreds of effects with next to zero latency causes a lot of synchronisation issues between the cores. So the threads tend to get huge and small in number. When it works the e-cores could be a blessing for DAWs because their performance is often hindered by background processes. So I guess I'm looking for the CPU with the highest base clock. That would be the i7 12/13700k

I love this case because in the config I have in mind (no dGPU, no 2.5 SSD and no internal PSU) it has tremendous cooling capacity for its size. I have the Noctua i9 cooler now and for studio operation it is too loud. What I need are big slow-turning fans.

Would there be a chance to add compatibility for two 140mm case fans in a possible MK2 version?
It would have to be enlarged to add 2x 140mm case fans. Right now the top and the GPU vents are where you can fit 120/140mm case fans. You may be able to cram a slim 120mm on the opposite side vents. There won't be a Mk2 version for a while.

Reactions: MvKeinen

zigzigzig

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 14, 2021
did I miss the pre-order window on this? if so, any hints on when the next batch might go up? Case is perfect for a build I'm putting together for my bro