Prototype J-Hack Pure Mk2 APU case

maxdfw

Smol Form Factor
Aug 21, 2019
This is not a true mini-dtx motherboard. It is mini itx that is extended. Mini-dtx has two pcie slots.

They removed the second pci slot for a sound card, it's still DTX form factor.

"AMD AM4 X570 Mini-DTX enthusiast gaming motherboard..."

Reactions: NateDawg72

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
What do you guys think about doing a mixture of 3d printed and sheet metal design?

3d printed design can give you more customization options while the sheet metal ensures it is sturdy.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
What do you guys think about doing a mixture of 3d printed and sheet metal design?

3d printed design can give you more customization options while the sheet metal ensures it is sturdy.
I've been a fan of this route for a while now and it is what I'm doing with my personal projects.

IMO 3D printed parts (FDM) straight off the printer do not look good. I've seen it argued that they have character or a "brushed metal" like surface but I feel that is trying to sell it on its flaws. Finishing makes it look a lot more professional and removes the layer lines and flaws that make it look like a prototype. Sanding / polishing help a lot. Acetone smoothing might give good results for ASA/ABS. I'm going to be sanding & painting my parts.

I have no idea what costs & time finishing 3D parts would be for manufacturing a case, but if the case makes prominent use of 3D printed parts then I think it should be considered.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Do you mean cutting sheet metal panels and them holding them with 3D printed corners.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Then in terms of customization options, are you thinking something like several options for rear panels?

Dunedan

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2019

If it's not visible, doesn't affect stability and provides a benefit, I'm welcoming this. ?
I also agree with @NateDawg72 that such parts should get polished a bit, even if they're not visible.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I may have to do a pre-order run when I'm ready. Looking like Spring 2019 for a small batch.

Haven't exactly nailed down the size, but it'll likely be a bit deeper to address some of the design concerns from the last batch. For example, some people were concerned the rear IO can be pushed in.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
I may have to do a pre-order run when I'm ready. Looking like Spring 2019 for a small batch.

Haven't exactly nailed down the size, but it'll likely be a bit deeper to address some of the design concerns from the last batch. For example, some people were concerned the rear IO can be pushed in.
Spring 2020?

Reactions: maxdfw

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Yes, I have also been thinking about that. The issue with a second set of tabs or screws is that it requires additional screw holes, which breaks up the aesthetics a bit.

Adding a tab is definitely possible if we're willing to add screw holes to the top panel.

Mk2 is a bit larger than Mk1.

If the problem is just with the panels collapsing inward, couldn't you just have a tab poke through a small slit in the side panel. Not so much that its sticking out, but the tab sits flush with the exterior side panel. It would break up the aesthetics slightly, but perhaps less so than a screw head would.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Interesting concept here. I like the use of the LP GPU being sideways. If I'm reading the thread right would you be able to do a brickless build with an LP GPU if you used the UHP-200-12?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Interesting concept here. I like the use of the LP GPU being sideways. If I'm reading the thread right would you be able to do a brickless build with an LP GPU if you used the UHP-200-12?

Yes. It'd be supported for personal for those who are mod experienced.

If the problem is just with the panels collapsing inward, couldn't you just have a tab poke through a small slit in the side panel. Not so much that its sticking out, but the tab sits flush with the exterior side panel. It would break up the aesthetics slightly, but perhaps less so than a screw head would.

It is also a matter of need more bends to give it some stiffness. The aesthetics will look pretty good regardless as the black screws do blend in.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Feature locked.

MOBO: Mini-DITX/Mini-ITX;
GPU: Up to 185 mm length, dual slot, low profile
Power entry: 12 mm 4 pin mini-din support, C6 power entry cutout
PSU: RPS-200 mounting

Fan: 2x 60 mm in GPU config

Final dimensions: 190 mm x 248 mm x 66 mm, 3.1L

UHP-200 feature dropped. Double checked the dimensions and the case needed to be 205 mm deep to accomodate it, which puts it too big at 3.45L.

direct image link

Possible build Configurations:
1. SUPER APU: RPS-200, PLUGin-200X, Black Ridge 47mm cooler with 120mm slim fan, VLP RAM,
2. OLD SCHOOL MEDIA: RPS-200, PLUGin-160, Noctua L9, x16 PCIe to NVME adapter, 2X 2.5 HDD
3. LIGHT GAMING BOX: Mini-box 160XT Kit, Cryorig C7/L9, Li-HEAT short PCIe riser, LP GPU (GTX 1650, 1050 Ti)

Last edited: