Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Concept. Feature requests?

From the current Pure design, I've noticed the following:

1. Users vastly prefer the internal PSU option.
2. Many users opted from the J-Hack Plugin.
3. There was a good 50/50 split between black vs black/white.
4. Distro 400 cutout was not used. - Feature drop.
5. Short wire length power buttons caused frustrations for users - removed short length option, increased long length option.
6. 1/3 users interested in using the SSD, but most went for m.2. Only a few users were interested in the SSD bracket.

Please go to take this survey! https://forms.gle/u9AsRVYZSw19keaA6

Last edited:

newzealot

Caliper Novice
Jul 26, 2019
The only thing stopping me from getting the J-Hack Pure is the max cpu cooler height.

If it is increased to 57mm, i can fit the stock Wraith Stealth cooler or ID-Cooling IS-50X.

If it is increased to 71mm, I can fit the stock Wraith Spire or Noctua L12S.

Given the trend of hotter and hotter Ryzen APUs, that will make this case more future proof.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The only thing stopping me from getting the J-Hack Pure is the max cpu cooler height.

If it is increased to 57mm, i can fit the stock Wraith Stealth cooler or ID-Cooling IS-50X.

Given the trend of hotter and hotter Ryzen APUs, that will make this case more future proof.
The Pure X covers those sizes. You add 1L and you can use up to 71mm height coolers. You can also use 2x 80mm as exhaust.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino

Dunedan

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2019
Feature requests?

Yes, of course. ?

1. Centered top grill. I believe this came up already somewhere (probably the Mk1 thread). Centered side grills would also be nice, especially when using the case in vertical orientation.
  2. Improved power inlet cutouts. That area currently looks a bit messy. Ideally there would only be a single cutout for the required inlet type. As different people require different inlet types I thought about a single cutout, large enough for all the different types, but with additional screw-able plates for the different inlet types.
  3. A C14 power inlet cutout and a matching power entry connector to JST-VHR-3 would be appreciated as well.
  4. Shave off 2mm from front to back (reduces the volume by 1% and brings it in line with the Pure X).
  5. IO in form of USB-C near the front, but I've no good idea how to achieve that. Even integrated in the grills feels somewhat odd to me, as it'd destroy their uniform appearance.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yes, of course. ?

1. Centered top grill. I believe this came up already somewhere (probably the Mk1 thread). Centered side grills would also be nice, especially when using the case in vertical orientation.
  2. Improved power inlet cutouts. That area currently looks a bit messy. Ideally there would only be a single cutout for the required inlet type. As different people require different inlet types I thought about a single cutout, large enough for all the different types, but with additional screw-able plates for the different inlet types.
  3. A C14 power inlet cutout and a matching power entry connector to JST-VHR-3 would be appreciated as well.
  4. Shave off 2mm from front to back (reduces the volume by 1% and brings it in line with the Pure X).
  5. IO in form of USB-C near the front, but I've no good idea how to achieve that. Even integrated in the grills feels somewhat odd to me, as it'd destroy their uniform appearance.

1. I am going with a slightly different slimmer design approach. But I'll probably do a center aligned top vent.
2. Unfortunately, having a bunch of little plates add a lot of cost. If made of metal, each one needs to be drawn, programmed, cut, painted, processed, "SKUed" etc. I'll be going for a single C6 and single 12mm from now on, as it seems this is what most users are using.
3. C14 adds a lot of space and is physically impossible for the next design.
4. I needed the 2mm for HDPLEX compatibility previously. But the future one will like be 3.3L for a couple more features I'm interested in implementing. One of them is supporting "flexatx" boards, which allows people to make an all NVMe NAS mini NAS. I need some more features to differentiate it from the Asrock A300 mini. https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/B360M-HDV/index.asp#Specification for example, you can use 2X fast NVMe (x4 speeds) and 2x slow NVMe (x1 speeds).
5. Yeah. USB-C in the front is a no-go at this time. It also adds complexity and cost; costs are decently high unless I order like 200 of those things.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino

Dunedan

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2019
But the future one will like be 3.3L for a couple more features I'm interested in implementing. One of them is supporting "flexatx" boards, which allows people to make an all NVMe NAS mini NAS. […] https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/B360M-HDV/index.asp#Specification for example, you can use 2X fast NVMe (x4 speeds) and 2x slow NVMe (x1 speeds).

Are you talking about Flex-ATX or about Micro-ATX, because the board you link to is a Micro-ATX board.
Is there a market for Flex-ATX boards for SFF builds? Doing a quick search online I only found Flex-ATX boards starting at $500 which sounds rather expensive.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Are you talking about Flex-ATX or about Micro-ATX, because the board you link to is a Micro-ATX board.
Is there a market for Flex-ATX boards for SFF builds? Doing a quick search online I only found Flex-ATX boards starting at $500 which sounds rather expensive.

That is a "flex" atx board. It's a bit smaller than mATX. True mATX is about 240 mm x 240 mm. Flex is about 190 mm x 230 mm. You can tell because it doesn't look square.

jerry_seinfeld

Case Bender
Sep 29, 2019
Sounds interesting.

1. Will this still have support for the RPS-200-12-C power supply?
2. Will there still be support for a 2.5" SSD + internal PSU configuration?
3. Will the additional volume for flex-ATX motherboards end up being unused/dead space for mITX users?

Excited for what's to come ?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Sounds interesting.

1. Will this still have support for the RPS-200-12-C power supply?
2. Will there still be support for a 2.5" SSD + internal PSU configuration?
3. Will the additional volume for flex-ATX motherboards end up being unused/dead space for mITX users?

Excited for what's to come ?

1. Yes. RPS-200 support will continue.
2. You'll have to place it above the PSU with double sided tape or squeeze it somewhere.
3. No. Leftover space can be used for PSU or SSDs.

Dunedan

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2019
That is a "flex" atx board.

Indeed! Didn't notice that, as I didn't check the physical dimensions, but looked at what form factor they call it instead. And they call it "Micro-ATX". That also explains why I wasn't able to find consumer grade Flex-ATX boards. Thanks for clarification. ?

Right now I'm planning for 205mm x 61mm x 256mm. 3.2-3.3L. This is external volume btw.

With that decreased height, would 48mm CPU coolers still fit?

With these dimensions, isn't that already very close to being able to fit a Flex-ATX PSU (horizontally) when using a mini-ITX board? Wouldn't this be Pure X territory then? The footprint would even be larger than the one of a Pure X (52,5mm² vs. 49,3mm²).

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Indeed! Didn't notice that, as I didn't check the physical dimensions, but looked at what form factor they call it instead. And they call it "Micro-ATX". That also explains why I wasn't able to find consumer grade Flex-ATX boards. Thanks for clarification. ?

With that decreased height, would 48mm CPU coolers still fit?

With these dimensions, isn't that already very close to being able to fit a Flex-ATX PSU (horizontally) when using a mini-ITX board? Wouldn't this be Pure X territory then? The footprint would even be larger than the one of a Pure X (52,5mm² vs. 49,3mm²).

Yes it is very close, but it will not fit a FLEX ATX PSU. Pure and Pure X is separated by 1L. That's the main distinction.

Yes, 48mm cooler support will drop. In exchange for 48mm cooler support, you gain:
Flex ATX Mobo Support
Add UHP-200-12 support
Able to use UHP-200-12 + Plugin + Stack of SSD.

The main reason is that the A300 sits too close in specs/support to the Pure, while being cheaper overall.

Foot print would be a bit wider, so this will have more of a "console" look.

nextpc

Average Stuffer
Jul 12, 2016

I can fit the wraith stealth in my Pure. Perfect fit too. There are some plastic tabs you need to cut off at the bottom where it mounts to the cooler. Very easy. Keep the shroud and all on top and it fits. Keeps my 2400g very nice and cool.
Also there's no turbulance sound coming from the case as J-Hack suggested it might cause.
Been keeping min between 50-60 degrees while gaming and it's super quiet too.
I'll try to add some pics later.

nextpc

Average Stuffer
Jul 12, 2016
Yes it is very close, but it will not fit a FLEX ATX PSU. Pure and Pure X is separated by 1L. That's the main distinction.

Yes, 48mm cooler support will drop. In exchange for 48mm cooler support, you gain:
Flex ATX Mobo Support
Add UHP-200-12 support
Able to use UHP-200-12 + Plugin + Stack of SSD.

The main reason is that the A300 sits too close in specs/support to the Pure, while being cheaper overall.

Foot print would be a bit wider, so this will have more of a "console" look.
Thinking for V2, you should make some vertical stands. I have some ideas, but honestly I think your case is very underated. It looks so good compared to whats out there. Has this timeless look to it. And there is lots of potential.
I was looking at designing some metal vertical legs but have the case sit at an angle. Kinda like the Antec ISK 110 but more modern looking and more contemporary looking than the sentry's.

Dunedan

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2019

From my perspective the Pure Mk1 has three main features, which differentiate it from the DeskMini A300:
  • internal AC-DC PSU
  • ability to freely choose a mini-ITX board
  • the look and build quality of the case
Isn't that already enough?

With the Pure Mk2 you trade Flex-ATX motherboard support against increased case volume and worse CPU cooler support compared to the Mk1.

As reason for Flex-ATX you quote better storage options, but you also say people prefer an internal AC-DC PSU over the SSD bracket. And is storage of the Mk2 really that much better than with the Pure Mk1? With the Mk1, even with internal AC-DC PSU, you should be able to get 2x x4 M.2 SSDs (1x from the board + 1x using an adapter card for the PCIe slot) + 2x 2,5" SATA SSDs (1x rear mounted + 1x taped slightly angled behind the front bezel). Without internal PSU you can even add 3 additional 2,5" SATA SSDs using the existing SSD bracket.

nextpc

Average Stuffer
Jul 12, 2016
1. I am going with a slightly different slimmer design approach. But I'll probably do a center aligned top vent.
2. Unfortunately, having a bunch of little plates add a lot of cost. If made of metal, each one needs to be drawn, programmed, cut, painted, processed, "SKUed" etc. I'll be going for a single C6 and single 12mm from now on, as it seems this is what most users are using.
3. C14 adds a lot of space and is physically impossible for the next design.
4. I needed the 2mm for HDPLEX compatibility previously. But the future one will like be 3.3L for a couple more features I'm interested in implementing. One of them is supporting "flexatx" boards, which allows people to make an all NVMe NAS mini NAS. I need some more features to differentiate it from the Asrock A300 mini. https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/B360M-HDV/index.asp#Specification for example, you can use 2X fast NVMe (x4 speeds) and 2x slow NVMe (x1 speeds).
5. Yeah. USB-C in the front is a no-go at this time. It also adds complexity and cost; costs are decently high unless I order like 200 of those things.
* The only complaint i have about the V1 is that the front panel and rear I/O panel doesn't have enough support and the panels will tend to collapse inward, or the rear I/O sometime would pop out slightly. If there were tabs with screw on each end or just a tab to stop it at a certain location, then it would be perfectly solid. But it's also just my ocd. Abeit just a suggestion for V2.
So is V2 larger or smaller than V1?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
From my perspective the Pure Mk1 has three main features, which differentiate it from the DeskMini A300:
  • internal AC-DC PSU
  • ability to freely choose a mini-ITX board
  • the look and build quality of the case
Isn't that already enough?

With the Pure Mk2 you trade Flex-ATX motherboard support against increased case volume and worse CPU cooler support compared to the Mk1.

As reason for Flex-ATX you quote better storage options, but you also say people prefer an internal AC-DC PSU over the SSD bracket. And is storage of the Mk2 really that much better than with the Pure Mk1? With the Mk1, even with internal AC-DC PSU, you should be able to get 2x x4 M.2 SSDs (1x from the board + 1x using an adapter card for the PCIe slot) + 2x 2,5" SATA SSDs (1x rear mounted + 1x taped slightly angled behind the front bezel). Without internal PSU you can even add 3 additional 2,5" SATA SSDs using the existing SSD bracket.

This is what I'm thinking of.

The Cryorig C7 is also taken out of the market recently in USA, so it is one less cooler available. I just checked and the AMD stealth cooler will work if you replace the over sized fan with a slim one, so that can still be the budget option.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
* The only complaint i have about the V1 is that the front panel and rear I/O panel doesn't have enough support and the panels will tend to collapse inward, or the rear I/O sometime would pop out slightly. If there were tabs with screw on each end or just a tab to stop it at a certain location, then it would be perfectly solid. But it's also just my ocd. Abeit just a suggestion for V2.
So is V2 larger or smaller than V1?

Yes, I have also been thinking about that. The issue with a second set of tabs or screws is that it requires additional screw holes, which breaks up the aesthetics a bit.

Adding a tab is definitely possible if we're willing to add screw holes to the top panel.

Mk2 is a bit larger than Mk1.