Prototype Introducing the Chimera CX2

garousaitama

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 9, 2020
Hi, everyone, I'm assuming there are people here who are curious about the project, but also those who have come here at the end of a long search for the ultimate small form factor PC:
  • something small (for me, I want to be able to fit it into a carry-on that meets any airline's requirements. 20L+ is fine as long as this requirement is met.) edit: my bad, just noticed that one of the dimensions is too large to meet this requirement. I might be fine with that, don't really fly with my build anymore...
  • fits 170mm CPU air coolers
  • fits the largest GPU's (4 slot monstrosities, 320mm long. I'm thinking of the Rajintek Morpheus)
  • uses ATX PSU's while still supporting all of the above
  • and can run super quiet with top end components because cooling is amazing.

It'd be the final case you'd ever need. It'd also have room for things like fan controllers, 2.5" SSD's (and maybe one to two 3.5" SSD's while we wait for SSD's to get cheaper). I'm getting the sense that the CX2 requires compromise if you want to use ATX PSU's, but maybe I'd be willing to make the switch to SFX just to use this case. Reviewing the list above, do you think all of those things can be achieved with this case? Basically, an air-cooled monstrosity.

Last edited:
Reactions: yosvos and sn0man

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2019
oh hey i think i found your build thread o_o

okay first off before i swear, i think i wouldn't need to worry as much as i should now o_o

now: damn, your photo with the top cover off solved a lot of my clearance queries O_O
just one more though: how thick is the fan in the center that came with the DRP4? I might switch that out for a 25mm thick fan (maybe +2mm total because rubber pads)
damn thats a tight fit! i like it

race2c

Caliper Novice
Dec 5, 2019
Between this and the TI, I am excited for the future of these SFF cases. Hmmm. Two cases/builds in my future, quite possibly.

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
1. Can SFX PSU's be mounted on the top or bottom front?
2. Will this support aftermarket vertical mounts?
3. Can I see a render of Vertically mounted gpu + psu placed on the top front?

Thanks!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
something small (for me, I want to be able to fit it into a carry-on that meets any airline's requirements. 20L+ is fine as long as this requirement is met.) edit: my bad, just noticed that one of the dimensions is too large to meet this requirement. I might be fine with that, don't really fly with my build anymore...
might need confirmation from the creators (they have moved the prototype to places by hand quite some time earlier), but from what i can google for under-seat stowage dimensions I think it might be able to fit there o_o

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
Pretty Jazzed about this case as a destination for my wife's computer. I really like that it supports more standard air coolers and also ATX boards. Any new updates on it?