Prototype Introducing the Chimera CX2

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
hmm fair point. the airflow in my cerberus isn't front to back, but i can see your point regarding the front face ,_,

Mayhem

Cable Smoosher
Jan 29, 2020
otherwise, the cerberus does 240mm rads at the front when the PSU's above the CPU. the only reason i see a want for an mATX CX2 would be the CPU air cooler height clearance (with the option to mount the PSU at the bottom over the last few PCI slots)
With an SFX PSU covering the bottom of an µATX motherboard, would you really be able to fit any GPU wider than a single slot? Sure I guess you could do it with a low profile waterblock and custom loop but you'd have a hell of a time fitting radiators, reservoir, tubes and wiring without totally blocking all airflow.

The lack of flagship motherboards also severely limits the appeal of µATX. Unless one really wanted to go X299 or X399, it seems much more sensible to pick a premium mITX motherboard and case.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
With an SFX PSU covering the bottom of an µATX motherboard, would you really be able to fit any GPU wider than a single slot?

(the blue line is just to highlight the PCIe area of an mATX board, not a giganto unicorn 3KW PSU)

i don't think even a 1 slot card would fit with regular ATX PSUs with the current bottom floor definitions, but I wouldn't reckon it'll be a big issue to give a few more millimeters to accommodate. ditto true 2-slot cards for SFX. note where the outline of the 2-slot card end relative to the next PCIe socket

that being said, not many mainstream cards are 2 slots wide, so you might have a point there. it's the same issue that mATX boards themselves would face, since mATX boards capable of two GPUs are usually of 1-slot spacing (for 2-slot cards), even when you treat them like ITX boards (ignoring mATX boards with x16 at slot #2, which makes the situation worse) or straight up use 3-slot cards on ITX boards

there is some trade-off with the positioning of the PSUs.
  • if it's above in the front, it'll be the NCase M1 or the Cerberus.
  • if it's at the bottom-rear like the CX2 it'll limit GPU choice due to slot-width
  • if it's at the bottom-front, it'll limit GPU choice due to card length
heck, if you see the image, a 3-slot card is all the case will do with an ATX power supply at the bottom-rear (although there might be issues using true 3-slot cards with motherboards with the first x16 socket at slot #2, which is ALL (but one) of the TRX40 boards)

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
okay i ALMOST shot myself in the foot with a purchase I almost made, so before i actually go do that (figuratively) :

would a Dark Rock Pro (TR)4 fit in the case? noctua's 165mm height definition start from the base of the motherboard, but bequiet's 162.8mm height dimension starts from the base of the cooler itself (i.e. above the CPU IHS)

I vaguely remember the CPU height being 9mm (might be taller for TR4) ,_,

late EDIT: I'm blind ,_,

Last edited:
Reactions: ZivZulander

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
okay i ALMOST shot myself in the foot with a purchase I almost made, so before i actually go do that (figuratively) :

would a Dark Rock Pro (TR)4 fit in the case? noctua's 165mm height definition start from the base of the motherboard, but bequiet's 162.8mm height dimension starts from the base of the cooler itself (i.e. above the CPU IHS)
I vaguely remember the CPU height being 9mm (might be taller for TR4) ,_,

You can take the top off from Dark Rock Pro coolers to save around 3mm, I did that and my Dark Rock Pro 4 fits in the case that has 160mm cooler clearance.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Sunmilo C01
oh hey i think i found your build thread o_o

okay first off before i swear, i think i wouldn't need to worry as much as i should now o_o

now: damn, your photo with the top cover off solved a lot of my clearance queries O_O
just one more though: how thick is the fan in the center that came with the DRP4? I might switch that out for a 25mm thick fan (maybe +2mm total because rubber pads)

Reactions: Dazr87

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020

(the blue line is just to highlight the PCIe area of an mATX board, not a giganto unicorn 3KW PSU)

i don't think even a 1 slot card would fit with regular ATX PSUs with the current bottom floor definitions, but I wouldn't reckon it'll be a big issue to give a few more millimeters to accommodate. ditto true 2-slot cards for SFX. note where the outline of the 2-slot card end relative to the next PCIe socket

that being said, not many mainstream cards are 2-slots, so you might have a point there. it's the same issue that mATX boards themselves would face, since mATX boards capable of two GPUs are usually of 1-slot spacing (for 2-slot cards), even when you treat them like ITX boards (ignoring mATX boards with x16 at slot #2, which makes the situation worse) or straight up use 3-slot cards on ITX boards

there is some trade-off with the positioning of the PSUs.
  • if it's above in the front, it'll be the NCase M1 or the Cerberus.
  • if it's at the bottom-rear like the CX2 it'll limit GPU choice due to slot-width
  • if it's at the bottom-front, it'll limit GPU choice due to card length
heck, if you see the image, a 3-slot card is all the case will do with an ATX power supply at the bottom-rear (although there might be issues using true 3-slot cards with motherboards with the first x16 socket at slot #2, which is ALL (but one) of the TRX40 boards)

Could you take an ATX power supply and stand it vertically in the bottom front of the case? You'd need slightly taller feet but you could get a right-angle cable and then route the cable under the case to the back for a powerstrip or if your desk is near a wall it could drop off early that way. I assume it would be even more room that way if you did it with an SFX vertically in the bottom front.

Edit: what is the red square at the bottom area?

THUMPer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2020
This case looks great. I just wish I could put an ATX PSU at the bottom. All I have are ATX PSU's.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Could you take an ATX power supply and stand it vertically in the bottom front of the case? You'd need slightly taller feet but you could get a right-angle cable and then route the cable under the case to the back for a powerstrip or if your desk is near a wall it could drop off early that way. I assume it would be even more room that way if you did it with an SFX vertically in the bottom front.

it'll take some figuring it out with custom parts and maybe DIY, but I think an ATX PSU in that orientation over there might significantly defeat the purpose of the front-to-back airflow design ._.
it's less of an issue with SFX, although I kinda feel like an SFX-L PSU might do the same level of obstruction with the ATX one ,_,

Edit: what is the red square at the bottom area?
oh that's the ATX PSU outline. the two marked with names are SFX and SFX-L.

EDIT: okay i've made a mistake, the ATX outline shouldn't be there because an ATX PSU is not supported at that location as of now

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
it'll take some figuring it out with custom parts and maybe DIY, but I think an ATX PSU in that orientation over there might significantly defeat the purpose of the front-to-back airflow design ._.
it's less of an issue with SFX, although I kinda feel like an SFX-L PSU might do the same level of obstruction with the ATX one ,_,

oh that's the ATX PSU outline. the two marked with names are SFX and SFX-L.

EDIT: okay i've made a mistake, the ATX outline shouldn't be there because an ATX PSU is not supported at that location as of now

The front-to-back airflow would definitely be impeded. An ATX plus a 14mm fan above it may not fit, but an SFX L looks like it might (please illustrate if you are of a mind).

As far as cooling, I'm clearly not worried about things like SATA drives. For an M.2 gaming rig this might work well though. I'm thinking a NH-U12S, front upper 14mm, rear upper 12mm combo, which is enough for a gaming rig that isn't going to max-out a CPU. Add a 120 in the lower rear for exhaust of the GPU and you should be good to go. Might have to limit the speed of the two 120s to match the airflow of the 140 in front.

I assume the ATX wouldn't fit because of width of the case getting in the way of the mobo, but in the front it might have enough width.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
the front should fit (since the fan in ATX PSUs are usually 120mm and the actual width isn't too far off 140mm). as for the rear beside the motherboard... i think it might completely obstruct the IO and audio headers below

the only reason why i'm not too hot on using ATX at the front is because the PSU choices out there are usually of lengths longer than the standard ATX outline, which means the case might end up with barely enough space for one 120mm (less so for a few reaaaaally long ones) Silverstone are probably the visible few that made a kilowatt PSU that sticks with the ATX specification dimensions

EDIT: i haven't thought about rotating the PSU sideways though, but i think that might affect exhaust for the PSU itself since it'll be facing the case wall in either horizontal orientation

nemesis429

Caliper Novice
Aug 10, 2016
SFX PSU is a better option as the case will be smaller and allow large motherboards. Any chance of mounting fans on the top instead of a handle? (As an option).

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
Its probably way to far along now for this to get changed at this point but. Would it be possible to have some cable routing and mounting holes put into the bottom of the case and then have a seperate ATX psu basement attachment made with the same finish as the case.

Ive been looking for a while for an ultra compact 8 slot case to build a quad gpu air cooled threadripper workstation is and this comes super close. If not ill just 3d print a basement or some brackets or something and attach it my self but I figured its worth a try. Or if anyone could suggest a case like that if it already exists that would be cool too.

Reactions: sn0man