Prototype Introducing the Chimera CX2

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
while we wait for updates, i gotta share what akitio did for their handle o_o

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
Really exited. I hope they can keep the 70mm clearence for cpu coolers with atx psus. It perfectly fits the Noctua L12s. Just flip the psu so it helps the fan exhaust and you can make a nice Ryzen 3950x workstation with a few blower gpus.

Reactions: Marbolite

Aloo

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 15, 2020
I've been looking for something like this for months and I've finally found it! Any idea if there will be extras?

LeviTheGreyt

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 16, 2020
I first saw this on optimum tech and joined this site just to stay up on any news about it. I do like the handle if it can be incorporated without too much sacrifice. Portability is definitely a plus as I'll probably be taking my setup to other places, but fitting the most efficient parts into the smallest amount of space is more of a priority to me. I've been looking into building a powerful EATX workstation in the smallest case possible and I think this might be it. I'll be keeping my eye on this and hold on to my money should this project bear fruit.

bigwhiteyeti

Caliper Novice
Jan 27, 2020
I've been eyeing this case for my Plex server (which is currently sitting in an ancient Corsair case), I just wish we had more updates. Everything about this is right up my alley since I've been looking for something more space efficient that fits the D15 and a full ATX mobo. Fingers crossed for something this year!

race2c

Caliper Novice
Dec 5, 2019
In reference to this case, just like the T1, is probably being affected by the Covid-19/coronavirus response/actions. Hope that gets worked out soon, and then we can hopefully get an update for this case.

Reactions: Timothy

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Phoen's still working at his day job in his area these days, so he may have less time to update

that being said, he mentioned in the discord two weeks ago that despite needing to push back key dates, the CX2 project was the least affected so far, so probably check back in.... middle of may to june? he didn't give an estimate, but going by the additional shelter-at-home extensions....

patkaiser

Efficiency Noob
New User
Apr 22, 2020
Sorry for the above post, for some reason the rest of the post didn't appear.

so lets try this again,

Say I mount an ATX PSU at the back and set both the front and bottom fan as intake, where would the exhaust be?? the vented side panel?? would that be like blowing hot air at the user??

If exhaust is set at the bottom, would the CPU/Top part suffer?

Lastly, would there be space to fit a low-profile fan on the top (if optional) if I install an E-ATX mobo??

patkaiser

Efficiency Noob
New User
Apr 22, 2020
This case would be perfect imo if we can mount the atx PSU nearer to the front, or have the ability to mount the PSU to the side panel near to the front, top or bottom. Just my little suggestion.

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
Sorry for the above post, for some reason the rest of the post didn't appear.

so lets try this again,

Say I mount an ATX PSU at the back and set both the front and bottom fan as intake, where would the exhaust be?? the vented side panel?? would that be like blowing hot air at the user??

If exhaust is set at the bottom, would the CPU/Top part suffer?

Lastly, would there be space to fit a low-profile fan on the top (if optional) if I install an E-ATX mobo??

The psu would act as exhaust and if you have blower gpus they would also help exhaust. They may also have vented panels, I dont think we know yet.

Reactions: patkaiser

Gerold

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2020
www.instagram.com
Oh boy, just found out about this.
This might come in handy later this year.
We are planning on upgrading our main render workstation to a TR + 4 GPUs (hopefully RTX 3000 series :)).
Also please bring back the handle as the standard version! ? (maybe in a somewhat optional from, so you can easily remove it if not needed?)

Has anyone thoughts on a full custom loop in this thing?
Will the case ship with additional brackets to mount pumps/reservoirs?

I hope the project is somewhat still on track and doesn't get too screwed by the human malware situation :)

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
Oh boy, just found out about this.
This might come in handy later this year.
We are planning on upgrading our main render workstation to a TR + 4 GPUs (hopefully RTX 3000 series :)).
Also please bring back the handle as the standard version! ? (maybe in a somewhat optional from, so you can easily remove it if not needed?)

Has anyone thoughts on a full custom loop in this thing?
Will the case ship with additional brackets to mount pumps/reservoirs?

I hope the project is somewhat still on track and doesn't get too screwed by the human malware situation :)

Im sure someone will put a custom loop in it somehow since people have with the Cerberus and Cerberus X in the past. A custom TR loop with 4 gpus probably wont have any room inside the case.

Reactions: patkaiser

Equin0xxx

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 25, 2020
I'm really hyped for this case. I'm planning a dual-quad GPU workstation with Threadripper and (hopefully 3x series rtx). But I want it as small as possible. This seems to be it!

Would love to see this one happen. The handle is fine to me as long as there's no issues with vrms

Mope

Cable Smoosher
Mar 31, 2019
Is a more compact chassis designed to support only a single installation mode considered? For people who don't need water-cooled radiators, some space is wasted.

Reactions: Spotswood

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
So the Chimera is slated to have a CPU cooler clearance of 165mm.

The IceGiant ProSiphon Elite is apparently 165.9mm in height. From the prototype we've seen on LTT, this may be the best self-contained CPU cooler on the market when it launches in a month or two. https://www.icegiantcooling.com/prosiphonelite

This seems as though it should still fit, maybe contacting the side panel with slight bowing, though probably not safe for travel (it's about the same weight as a D15, so that may preclude it anyway). But it would be a shame to not double check that this is fully compatible, as there won't be a better workstation cooler period if the hype pans out (including mult-rad open loops, due to reliability, longevity, simplicity).

Well and I guess if the Chimera has no perforated top panel option, the point is likely moot anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjaay

Gerold

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2020
www.instagram.com
Is a more compact chassis designed to support only a single installation mode considered? For people who don't need water-cooled radiators, some space is wasted.
What do you mean by "single installation mode"?
No one is forced to use water cooling and radiators, but you need to keep those options in mind when designing a case. Especially for workstations.
If you don't need the space this case provides and you see it as wasted space, this case might not be the best option for you then.

Mope

Cable Smoosher
Mar 31, 2019
What I want to say is, if the front panel is not installed with water cooling, can we move the power supply to the front to make room for the PCIE slot?

Bigtruckboom

Chassis Packer
Apr 2, 2019

The IceGiant ProSiphon Elite is apparently 165.9mm in height. From the prototype we've seen on LTT, this may be the best self-contained CPU cooler on the market when it launches in a month or two. https://www.icegiantcooling.com/prosiphonelite

This seems as though it should still fit, maybe contacting the side panel with slight bowing, though probably not safe for travel (it's about the same weight as a D15, so that may preclude it anyway). But it would be a shame to not double check that this is fully compatible, as there won't be a better workstation cooler period if the hype pans out (including mult-rad open loops, due to reliability, longevity, simplicity).

Well and I guess if the Chimera has no perforated top panel option, the point is likely moot anyway.

This is the whole reason I'm interested in this case, IceGiant is scheduled to ship in June and I'd really like to use this case + IceGiant for my 3950x build. Let's hope the IceGiant will fit this case.

Reactions: lawney