Instability on new SSF build

ZakKa89

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 16, 2020
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, and I'll be sure to introduce myself, but I have an issue with my new SFF build and I have no idea what do do next...

Hi, I have a new system and I have the following problems:

- Sometimes, the game I'm playing freezes up for a second or 2 (Overwatch)
- In Doom eternal, the behaviour is a bit different: My mouse movement get's really slow for a second and the whole game feels like it's freezing up.
- In windows when I'm typing, sometimes there is a delay in which I write and when it comes on screen
- In windows when scrolling or moving windows, sometimes there is a delay in the movement
- In windows, mouse is stuck on screenAt first I thought the issue was just in overwatch, here is a thread I made here already and tried lots of things: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/random-freeze-for-1-second/481618/1

TLDR: Sometimes a random hiccup/lag/freeze in windows or games

CURRENT SPECS:

DAN A4-SFX mini ITX case ( I'll be posting pictures of my build once I finally fix this issue)

Ryzen 3600
Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 rev 2.0
ASUS B40-i STRIX Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Ballistix BLS2K8G4D30AESBK
Crucial P1 M.2 SSD1GB
Corsair SF450 Power Supply

Things I've tried:

- Multiple stress tests and continu monitoring of CPU and GPU temps temps, all seems fine- ran memtest86 a bunch of times
- Made sure to update all drivers, even for SSD. Bios is updated as well, chipset drivers from AMD website, etc etc
- Get a more power effecieient GPU, since the R9 390 I had before was a real power consumer. Now I have the GTX 1070 and the 450watt PSU should easily handle it right?
- Tried all types of different power modes in windows, both the windows ones and the one of Ryzen.

Where I think the problem lies:

- Maybe still the CPU?
- Bad SSD?
- Any other faulty hardware?
- Can't be the PSU right? I've read multiple threads on this forum and others that mention the SF450 should be enough.

I have used this tool: https://github.com/google/UIforETW to make traces after each time a specific freeze occured. However I have no idea how to read the data. If anybody is interested in the data I can share it.

jmehmn

Chassis Packer
Apr 9, 2020
Hey ZakKa89,

Sorry to hear about everything going on with your first build.

When you experience the lag spikes are you checking to see your CPU activity/temps, or just during stress testing?

EDIT: tacking onto what tinyitx has stated below. Check to see what’s being potentially hit the hardest. I’d run HWMonitor and TaskManager side by side to get a good idea of what’s going on when the lag happens.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
After freezing a second or two (inside a gaming session or in Windows desktop), does it just then go away and everything is back to normal?

If this problem happens often enough, next time when it happens, go to Task Manager and Resource Monitor right after. Check to see if anything is pulling resources (CPU, memory...etc) away at or close to 100%.

Have you done Windows Hardware and Device Troubleshooter?
And, System File Checker?

ZakKa89

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 16, 2020
@jmehmn, I didn't experience them during stress testing, they just happen randomly. At times it can get really bad, sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

@tinyitx: Yes I keep a close eye on all of my temps and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I use ryzen master for CPU, afterburner for GPU, Crucial software for the SSD and HWmonitor for everything else

The performance tab in windows task manager also seems fine .

And yes the problem then just goes away and everything is back to normal, untillit happens again.

jmehmn

Chassis Packer
Apr 9, 2020
@jmehmn, I didn't experience them during stress testing, they just happen randomly. At times it can get really bad, sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

@tinyitx: Yes I keep a close eye on all of my temps and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I use ryzen master for CPU, afterburner for GPU, Crucial software for the SSD and HWmonitor for everything else

The performance tab in windows task manager also seems fine .

And yes the problem then just goes away and everything is back to normal, untillit happens again.

Interesting. I would often have issues with my GPU during gaming sessions. I would try plugging your monitor directly into you board and disconnect your GPU. See if you get any random spikes during normal tasks. Just as something to try.

I would also be interested to know if the riser cable is seated properly. I’ve also had issues recently with a riser cable that was causing my gaming sessions to stop. My monitor would go black and then come back.

ZakKa89

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 16, 2020
Ryzen 3600 does not support video out so I have to put the monitor in the display.
I think if the issue was the riser cable, I would have video problems like you described. But I appreciate the help don't get me wrong.

It might be Asus lightning service program. I got adviced by blizzard to uninstall it. I can also see other posts on the internet with similar issues. I've had no freezes so far after uninstalling that... pfff hopefully that is it haha