Freezing Help

bichael

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 17, 2017
Hi all
Have got a difficult to pin down problem so appreciate any help...
PC is freezing (ie power stays on, display stays on but no response at all) fairly regularly. It has happened under load but also without, and even in the bios. Once it freezes then it becomes difficult to boot again, sometimes not posting, or freezing before getting to windows. I don't remember anything changing before the freezing started, and it does now seem to be getting more regular.
Things ruled out so far;
GPU (it freezes on integrated graphics as well)
PSU (I swapped in my SFX to test and still got freezes)
So I guess that means motherboard, cpu, ram or ssd but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to narrow it down further? I've tried running diagnostic on ram and ssd and they seemed okay but not sure if that means anything or not.
Any thoughts appreciated, specs below, thanks!

S4M with dynamo mini and dell 330W
Asus B150i
i5 6500
EVGA 1060
2*4GB LPX (3000 but running at 2133 as non z mboard)
Hynix SC311 m2 SSD

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
OK... Try removing one of the RAM sticks. If that doesn't work, try a different kit (if you have one). Otherwise, I would RMA the motherboard.

Oh, by the way... Try looking at the temperature of the processor through HWInfo or equivalent. Temperatures may cause a shutdown/freeze and then prevent the system from booting until the processor cools down.

bichael

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 17, 2017
Thanks for the replies! Have taken one ram stick out and it's been good for about a week now so looks like that might be it.