Memory PC freezes randomly - RAM running hot

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
TL;DR: RAM sticks run stupidly hot and freeze my system if it gets disturbed even in the slightest way.

Hey guys!

For the past month I've been experiencing random freezes. Sometimes it occurs multiple times within a short period, and sometime it will be fine for a few days but then freezes randomly when I'm using the system.

I first suspect that it is caused by me undervolting my CPU, but that proves to be not the case since it freezes even if I run my CPU at normal voltage.

Today I'm just checking my system and trying to install a bracket onto my S4M without turning off the PC. This should be fine since I'm not touching any components at all. When I'm installing the bracket I accidentally touched the memory and it is stupidly hot. Then, the system freezes! I discovered that not only the memory run stupidly hot, even the slightest touch to it freezes the system.

My RAM is the G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2400mhz 32G kit. Is this normal? Should I be worry?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Using a finger to judge if a PC component is overheating is not reliable. Fingers usually consider a temp of, say, 35-40C warm and anything above to be increasingly hot. And, memory under 85C is usually good. So, a PC components could be felt hot by the fingers but yet well within its design specification. You first check to see if your specific GSkill module has built-in temp sensor or not.
If yes, better to a software to read the actual temp.
If not, you might use a temp sensor probe to get a rough measurement.

So, is this a repeatable problem? The PC freezes when the memory has the slightest touch? (Do not use fingers to avoid static electricity...use something insulated).

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Using a finger to judge if a PC component is overheating is not reliable. Fingers usually consider a temp of, say, 35-40C warm and anything above to be increasingly hot. And, memory under 85C is usually good. So, a PC components could be felt hot by the fingers but yet well within its design specification. You first check to see if your specific GSkill module has built-in temp sensor or not.
If yes, better to a software to read the actual temp.
If not, you might use a temp sensor probe to get a rough measurement.

So, is this a repeatable problem? The PC freezes when the memory has the slightest touch? (Do not use fingers to avoid static electricity...use something insulated).
Yes, this is a repeatable problem. Even slightly moving the PC might trigger it.. I will try to find my temp gun to get an accurate reading

kulbida

Average Stuffer
Jan 8, 2018
Sounds like it may be a dirty/weak connection. You could try removing the DIMMs and cleaning the contact points with rubbing alcohol. Also try blowing the DIMM slots out with compressed air.

Reactions: 1461748123

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Is your heat sink dumping it's hot air towards the RAM modules?

EDIT: If it is the system in your build log, it looks like the heatsink is facing the wrong way. The fins should be pointed towards the top of the case. There is only one way the heatsink will fit in a way that it doesn't also make contact with the M.2 heatsink.

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Is your heat sink dumping it's hot air towards the RAM modules?

EDIT: If it is the system in your build log, it looks like the heatsink is facing the wrong way. The fins should be pointed towards the top of the case. There is only one way the heatsink will fit in a way that it doesn't also make contact with the M.2 heatsink.
I've moved to water cooling so it shouldn't dump any heat on the ram :/ I will see if I can find my temp gun and get an accurate reading

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
I removed the sinks on my Trident Z and have a top flow cooler blowing hot air directly down on them without issues even running Prime95 so something strange is going on. RAM voltage set to auto or has it been changed? I second the slot debris and pin cleaning theory kulbida mentioned even if only to eliminate that possibility.

This may seem obvious but have you tried restoring BIOS defaults already?

Reactions: 1461748123

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.
I found my temp gun and the RAM is running at about ~50c, which I think is pretty normal.
I swap the two rams around and cleaned the socket an the contacts, not sure if this will work. I will report in few days.

Reactions: confusis and Phuncz