Discussion Random Windows freezes

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Before updating the BIOS, you can give it a try disabling the IOMMU option in it. Or set it to 'Enabled' but not to 'Auto'.
Seems like this option doesn't go well with Ryzen CPUs.
I am experiencing some graphics artefacts with my Ryzen 3400G and found this IOMMU function could be faulty. But I'm on Linux and didn't have time to investigate any further yet so that could be completely another problem...

If the proposal above doesn't give any good results, I would try booting from a Linux Mint Live USB and check if the freezes appear there too.
That would let you know if this is hardware or OS related.
Good luck! 🤞

Appreciate the indepth reply and suggestions! The tip regarding Linux to rule out potential hardware or OS related issues sounds rather way out of my knowledge zone unfortunately :p

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
The tip regarding Linux to rule out potential hardware or OS related issues sounds rather way out of my knowledge zone unfortunately
You probably said that because you never tried it before, but that's actually doable easily!
And you don't risk to brick anything!

1. Create the USB Live: https://www.fosslinux.com/274/how-to-create-linux-mint-live-usb-drive-on-windows.htm
(I would suggest Linux Mint Mate edition)

2. Insert the USB drive into you PC, start it up and push on the right key to bring up the Boot menu (Asrock = F11, Asus = F8, Gigabyte = F12, ...)

3. Select the entry corresponding to the USB drive (you will probably have two options for the USB drive, I would choose the one with 'UEFI' in the label)

-> Your computer will boot on the USB drive and the Mint Desktop will show up:

Linux Mint Desktop is quite similar to the Windows one, there is a Start Menu as well as a quick launch area. In the latter you will find Firefox, with which you could do a first test to check if there are freezes occurring or not.
I will be happy to assist any further if needed!

Reactions: Dawelio