INARI - Cerberus in sand

Ankacat

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Mar 11, 2016
hi there 1st post here. just wondering how have you got the disc drive connected? is via a usb header? also in thinking of following in your footsteps here with the odd idea. any luck on the 3-D printed custom bracket idea?

I've got a right angle USB cable going into the body of the case and then a USB to motherboard 4-pin header adapter inside.

I've wound up busier than expected the past half-year so I haven't done much looking into a fitted bracket solution yet. The squishy cable ties are still holding up pretty well, though sometimes if I've rearranged things a bit too much I need to pop off the front panel to make sure the cable tie connections aren't putting pressure on the center of the drive (interrupts playing discs).

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
@Ankacat What CPU cooler did you end up using? Did you have any concerns about putting strain on the motherboard when traveling with your computer?
The OP will have to confirm, but from looking at the pictures, that's a Cryorig C7. It's a low-profile, small cooler rated for a maximum cooling capacity of 95W, which means that there's essentially zero chance of it damaging anything (low weight+center of gravity close to the motherboard), but it'll also throttle your 9900K quite heavily (a stock 9900K, despite its 95W on-paper TDP, pulls 150-170W or more under short-term turbo, and 120-130 long-term if the cooling allows, though this depends on motherboard/BIOS settings). It's likely safer than the NH-U9s you seem to have decided on for your build, but that is also a relatively small and lightweight tower cooler, so I wouldn't be overly worried. Just handle your PC with care, and don't jostle it in any dramatic way, and you're likely to be fine. Carrying it in a padded bag of some sort ought to alleviate most concerns. The 9900K is a very power-hungry CPU (no wonder - it's an 8c16t CPU with very high turbo clocks), so it needs beefy cooling. You could use a C7 if you wanted, but you'd be leaving a lot of performance on the table. The CU (copper) version of the C7 will be somewhat better, and even more if you replace the stock fan with a more powerful 25mm-thick fan (there are 3D-printable fan brackets for this available on the forums), but it still won't come close to the cooling capabilities of the U9s.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Ankacat

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Mar 11, 2016
@Ankacat What CPU cooler did you end up using? Did you have any concerns about putting strain on the motherboard when traveling with your computer?

Due to my optical drive shenanigans on the front panel, I'd opted to go with rear-mounted SFX + low profile cooler to make sure my PSU had an unobstructed source of airflow from the outside of the case. My initial cooler was indeed a Cryorig C7, which worked just fine for me since I don't do anything particularly intense with my build (1080p gaming, light video editing, digital art); I could probably even get away with the Intel stock cooler. I don't think I've ever worried too much about motherboard strain on my build during any of its transport excursions; I've joked about using the case in an emergency to bust open a window but tbh, if I actually had to I'd probably expect the system to work fine afterwards following a debris check/re-seating things.

An additional note with my particular unit is that as one of a pre-production batch, it has a slight misalignment of the top-right motherboard standoff, so I don't even have a screw in there; this would be a factor if I ever did want to do a build in this case that justified a beefier cooler. In that hypothetical situation I'd probably consider an AIO.

I've since moved my C7 into a Dan A4 build and changed coolers to a Big Shuriken 2, which also works great for my purposes and *just* touches the top of the innermost RAM stick.

artbywaqas

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2019
@Valantar Yeah, I know don't worry I'll stick to the U9s you recommended. I was just curious. And wondering about any issues Ankacat may have run into transporting her computer around.

@Ankacat cool! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I never thought about customizing a computer and trying out different options until discovering this forum. But now I find myself exploring the posts here and thinking what else can I do ? :p

This will actually be the first time ever for me trying to build a computer from scratch. Prior to this I did actually swap out my two older computers into new cases so I guess that kinda counts. :)

I'm also an artist. I do 3D modeling, animation and game development work. What kind of portable monitor are you using? I have an AOC usb 3 monitor I was using with my laptop as a 2nd screen before.

Ankacat

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Mar 11, 2016
I'm also an artist. I do 3D modeling, animation and game development work. What kind of portable monitor are you using? I have an AOC usb 3 monitor I was using with my laptop as a 2nd screen before.

Awesome! Art-wise I'm definitely still just in the personal hobbyist category of trying to actually draw with intent, rather than just having a lot of hesitant doodling that sometimes winds up being something finished ?.
My mobile Cerberus excursions (and one with the Dancase) have been paired with a 10" Yiynova drawing tablet as the sole monitor; it's a little goofy for playing mmos on the go but fine for web surfing/homework/drawing since I also frequently use an iPad for the same sorts of applications. I've definitely spent a lot of time oohing and aahing at things over in the portable monitors thread though, if you haven't popped into that one yet.

Reactions: Biowarejak