Cooling ID-Cooling IS-47K 47mm 6-heatpipe cooler with 92x15mm fan - Black Ridge alternative?

Kormylets

Efficiency Noob
Jan 6, 2020

ID-Cooling talks about a polished copper base, but from what I see on my IS-60 EVO, the base is nickel plated.
You should be good with both anyway -> https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...cts-copper-nickel-and-aluminum-corrosion-test
So I can try using liquid metal with my 3900x? In case of good temperatures, continue to rejoice or exchange for a thermomast. Right?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
This could probably be my next CPU cooler. My 2200G isn’t very demanding and I like this style of exposed heat sink cooler. My main concern is noise and I don’t know if the fan will sound that annoying but if push comes to shove I will replace with a 92mm Noctua.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
It could be copper then nickel plated. Nickel plating is a finish. But I guess, it would be wrong in that regard as you wouldn't "polish" the copper.
Yep, that's what I had in mind.

So I can try using liquid metal with my 3900x?
Yes, I would suggest Cool Laboratory Liquid Ultra. Never tried Grizzly stuff yet though...

grinny

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2020
I received my Noctua NF-A9x14 Chromax and Noctua backplate yesterday and changed the parts, and wow what a change in temps.

Before Noctua parts it was really high idle temps (almost broken), now it's much better.

Case: FormD T1 v1.1
Cooler: ID-Cooling IS-47K
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 (With slight undervolt and PPT adjustment, but can't remember settings now)
Paste: NOCTUA NT-H1
Ambient Temp: 22-23 C

Default fan (Blowing air out) + Default mounting:
Idle 60-65 C
Gaming 75-80C

Noctua Fan (Blowing air in) + Noctua backplate:
Idle 40-50 C
Gaming 55-60 C

And it's without repaste, I think there are few degrees more to gain with batter paste & repaste.

Ricky Zeng

Trash Compacter
Jun 10, 2020
I received my Noctua NF-A9x14 Chromax and Noctua backplate yesterday and changed the parts, and wow what a change in temps.

Before Noctua parts it was really high idle temps (almost broken), now it's much better.

Case: FormD T1 v1.1
Cooler: ID-Cooling IS-47K
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 (With slight undervolt and PPT adjustment, but can't remember settings now)
Paste: NOCTUA NT-H1
Ambient Temp: 22-23 C

Default fan (Blowing air out) + Default mounting:
Idle 60-65 C
Gaming 75-80C

Noctua Fan (Blowing air in) + Noctua backplate:
Idle 40-50 C
Gaming 55-60 C

And it's without repaste, I think there are few degrees more to gain with batter paste & repaste.
I noticed you've changed the fan orientation for the comparison (intake / exhaust). The temp drop might be mainly due to the air flow direction change. It'll be good if you could compare just the mounting method change.

For myself I've only briefly tried IS-47K stock mount screws (no backplate) and default exhaust fan direction, it didn't pose too much concern for me temperature wise but I only tried it on the very low power 35W TDP Athlon 3000G. My main rig is also Ryzen 3600, but with Blackridge A12x15 fan set as intake with Noctua backplate, and the temperatures are similar to your IS-47K as intake with backplate.

Last edited:

grinny

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2020
I noticed you've changed the fan orientation for the comparison (intake / exhaust). The temp drop might be mainly due to the air flow direction change. It'll be good if you could compare just the mounting method change.

For myself I've only briefly tried IS-47K stock mount screws (no backplate) and default exhaust fan direction, it didn't pose too much concern for me temperature wise but I only tried it on the very low power 35W TDP Athlon 3000G. My main rig is also Ryzen 3600, but with Blackridge A12x15 fan set as intake with Noctua backplate, and the temperatures are similar to your IS-47K as intake with backplate.
It might be mostly because of fan orientation as you said, but I didn't have time to try variations between fan and backplate (not much free time when you have a child running around 😁)

Alas, I tried to change default fan's orientation before and it was impossible because when you flip the default fan, it's hitting the fins of the cooler. (Somehow Noctua fan doesn't)

If I have more time in my hands, I'll try and see if fan orientation alone will change the temps and update.

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
Yeah, I have the IS-47K too and the stock ID-Cooling fan doesnt allow to be placed as intake as the fan blades will hit the fins/mounting fan frame. A9x14 doesn't have this issues as the fan blades are flatter and has the rubber pads too. You need some kind of spacer or pad to make the ID-Cooling fan work as intake.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
Any input from anyone with Ryzen 3900/5900 or 3950/5950?
Wraith Stealth seems like I no-go for 5900x and I need to decide whether I will try IS-47K or return the CPU and wait for another build in bigger case.
The info from @grinny seems promising enough but it is with half the core count.

Other options (nl-9 or cryorig) seems like marginal improvement.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Any input from anyone with Ryzen 3900/5900 or 3950/5950?
Wraith Stealth seems like I no-go for 5900x and I need to decide whether I will try IS-47K or return the CPU and wait for another build in bigger case.
The info from @grinny seems promising enough but it is with half the core count.

Other options (nl-9 or cryorig) seems like marginal improvement.
Are you using ISK-47K with only bottom 92mm (inside your SM550)?
If yes, you should be able to use 5900X but with important constraint on clock speed.

I'm planning to test IS-60 EVO (big brother if ISK-47K, same heatsink with a slim 120mm on top ) with R7-1700X in CL530...I can just say, right now, that ISK-47K heatsink is very restrictive for 92mm fan alone. It works very well with push-pull of fans

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Using Wraith Stealth at the moment :)
Must decide what to do.
To be honest, IS-60 (not EVO) is best air cpu cooler you can put inside SM550...
Wraith stealth remains weakest provided with AMD cpu cooler.

I don't recommend IS-47K as 92mm fan alone (even in intake) is clearly not enough to passtrhough dense heatsink (IS-60 EVO is great but IS-47K is mediocre)

My advice will be to go for IS-60 (not EVO) inside SM550 (if your MB allows it)

Reactions: rfarmer

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
It seems like they have taken it off the supported list as it is a bit more than 55mm ... I know of your distancers mod, but the case is right next to me on eye level and this will bother me for sure :)

What I will do, which seems to be a bit cheaper option - will try Wraith Spire without the stock fan with Noctua 92mm. Seems like fitting at 55mm.
If not - I will look for other options, maybe try IS-47k after all, despite your warnings. At least I will have the fan already.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
It seems like they have taken it off the supported list as it is a bit more than 55mm ... I know of your distancers mod, but the case is right next to me on eye level and this will bother me for sure :)

What I will do, which seems to be a bit cheaper option - will try Wraith Spire without the stock fan with Noctua 92mm. Seems like fitting at 55mm.
If not - I will look for other options, maybe try IS-47k after all, despite your warnings. At least I will have the fan already.
ahah..:)
Maybe you can try my mod before judging if it's ugly or not (100% subjective..:)). My mod is really cheap..;)

Wraith spire is also a good option

bwhitty

Case Bender
New User
Jan 14, 2021
Hey all, just got the IS-47K installed into my SM560 using an ASUS ROG Strix B550-i board and a Ryzen 5600X. I replaced my Asetek 645LT with this since 1. with a giant graphics card I was struggling to fit it around the tubes and 2. the graphics card exhaust dumping into the radiator made the cooling seemingly much less efficient.

Using suggestions from this thread, the cooler is mounted with the Noctua bracket for better pressure, and the fan is swapped out with an NF-A9-14 flipped as intake, and is using NT-H2 paste. Two case fans are exhausting at the bottom of the SM560.

This is the 5600X with manual PBO at +100, stock voltages, and a PPT of 120W (boosts to 4750MHz). Running at about 4150MHz effective clocks it settles at about a 105W PPT and ~82C with the cooler fan running at about 70%. I've found this to be a lot better than the 645LT which would go up towards 90C with the same overclocking. Idle temps are 51C at 21C ambient.

Reactions: Kapsi and MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hey all, just got the IS-47K installed into my SM560 using an ASUS ROG Strix B550-i board and a Ryzen 5600X. I replaced my Asetek 645LT with this since 1. with a giant graphics card I was struggling to fit it around the tubes and 2. the graphics card exhaust dumping into the radiator made the cooling seemingly much less efficient.

Using suggestions from this thread, the cooler is mounted with the Noctua bracket for better pressure, and the fan is swapped out with an NF-A9-14 flipped as intake, and is using NT-H2 paste. Two case fans are exhausting at the bottom of the SM560.

This is the 5600X with manual PBO at +100, stock voltages, and a PPT of 120W (boosts to 4750MHz). Running at about 4150MHz effective clocks it settles at about a 105W PPT and ~82C with the cooler fan running at about 70%. I've found this to be a lot better than the 645LT which would go up towards 90C with the same overclocking. Idle temps are 51C at 21C ambient.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
For 645LT, you can optimisé mounting issues by following my guide (check my signature my SM550), however you cannot improve due to gpu exhaust...like I switch to is-60 to SM550 (check also my signature as IS-60 remains best air cpu cooler for SM series..:)

I should test IS-60 evo in CL530 in upcoming weeks.

Reactions: bb-bbq

bwhitty

Case Bender
New User
Jan 14, 2021
Thanks for sharing your experience.
For 645LT, you can optimisé mounting issues by following my guide (check my signature my SM550), however you cannot improve due to gpu exhaust...like I switch to is-60 to SM550 (check also my signature as IS-60 remains best air cpu cooler for SM series..:)

I should test IS-60 evo in CL530 in upcoming weeks.
I did see some good videos showing the IS-60 as the cooling king. The RAM clearance limitations with the IS-60 is the main reason I didn't go with it. Really limits selection, and I already had G Skill Ripjaws V which are way too tall for the IS-60, or the Alpenfohn, etc.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I did see some good videos showing the IS-60 as the cooling king. The RAM clearance limitations with the IS-60 is the main reason I didn't go with it. Really limits selection, and I already had G Skill Ripjaws V which are way too tall for the IS-60, or the Alpenfohn, etc.
You are fully right about RAM clearance. You could also issues with I/o shield or m.2 heatsink. IS-60 evo or IS-47K heatsink (same) is pretty compatibility king.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
After bugging ID-Cooling for some time, they have now added a backplate due to customer requests.

If you're a purchaser of the IS-47k from the J-Hack store, I have a 3 samples to ship for free. If you're actively using the IS-47k and would like to improve it, please send me a PM, and I'll set you up with one of the samples.