Cooling ID-Cooling IS-47K 47mm 6-heatpipe cooler with 92x15mm fan - Black Ridge alternative?

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I will also run my own tests when mine arrives. Granted it will be on a different processor with a different base point but I think running tests using my i9 10900F with no thermal limits and only the Intel Stock cooler gives a best 'worst case' scenario to use as a base line when the is47k gets here.

Reactions: Thehack

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I think it likely has something to do with force handling the install. Even if it seems like it may fit, a tiny air gap or bubble will kill thermal transfer.
I suspect the same. It is more likely due to user error.

Edit:
I understand that using the same fan (ie Noctua Chromax 92mm) to compare the 2 coolers. But, it seems that 47K's stock fan is better (at least the spec numbers say so). It has 75 m3/hr and 3.24mm H2O (vs A9's 58m3/hr and 2.11 mmH2O).
Also, this cooler seems to perform better with its fan blowing up (away from the motherboard vs down onto the mobo), as in its default position. There is a 7C difference benefit (cooling a 3700X on Asus x370i inside a Dan case with side panel off).

Last edited:

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
I suspect the same. It is more likely due to user error.

Edit:
I understand that using the same fan (ie Noctua Chromax 92mm) to compare the 2 coolers. But, it seems that 47K's stock fan is better (at least the spec numbers say so). It has 75 m3/hr and 3.24mm H2O (vs A9's 58m3/hr and 2.11 mmH2O).
Also, this cooler seems to perform better with its fan blowing up (away from the motherboard vs down onto the mobo), as in its default position. There is a 7C difference benefit (cooling a 3700X on Asus x370i inside a Dan case with side panel off).
The TLDR of that link (with google translate)

3700x locked at 4.2 all core with voltage at 1.175, motherboard ASUS x370i

AXP-90 alu w/ Noctua Chormax: 92
IS-47k w/ Noctua Chromax pointed at motherboard: 101
IS-47k w/ Noctua Chromax pointed away from board: 94
IS-47k w/ original fan pointed away from board: 93

The original fan does perform better, but I don't see anything about noise. The fan further away from any side panel should produce less turbulence (and less noise) than the AXP. Still, the AXP-90 Cu will be ~2 degrees cooler than these results and is far more compatible with more boards.

It should also be noted that it appears a backplate was used for the AXP-90 but NOT used for the IS-47k as the screws were not long enough.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The TLDR of that link (with google translate)

3700x locked at 4.2 all core with voltage at 1.175, motherboard ASUS x370i

AXP-90 alu w/ Noctua Chormax: 92
IS-47k w/ Noctua Chromax pointed at motherboard: 101
IS-47k w/ Noctua Chromax pointed away from board: 94
IS-47k w/ original fan pointed away from board: 93

The original fan does perform better, but I don't see anything about noise. The fan further away from any side panel should produce less turbulence (and less noise) than the AXP. Still, the AXP-90 Cu will be ~2 degrees cooler than these results and is far more compatible with more boards.

It should also be noted that it appears a backplate was used for the AXP-90 but NOT used for the IS-47k as the screws were not long enough.

This is good data point as well.

You can only get more cooling performance if you pushing cool air through surface area, so it makes sense that it only matches the AXP. You can consider any difference around 1-3 degrees within the realm of manufacturing, mounting, and paste application variation/tolerances.

Fan farther away from ventilation hole is the big selling point, as coolers that are actually 47mm tall usually do much better than the L9, but the turbulence ends up making it unbearable.

I gave feedback to ID Cooling on adding backplate. It is too late to make changes until they work on a revision, but they have been receptive of feedback.

I am surprised there is a big delta between cooler orientation.

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Fan farther away from ventilation hole is the big selling point, as coolers that are actually 47mm tall usually do much better than the L9, but the turbulence ends up making it unbearable.
wholeheartedly agree. basically the IS47k would be a big winner just by having more compatibility than the Black Ridge for the trade-off of a few degrees.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
So this is another AMD result, which is good as I think most people are buying AMD at the moment, but I'm curious to see if there's issues with the AMD mounting solution due to no backplate resulting in less tension in mounting resulting in a loss of thermal conductivity?

I ran some tests yesterday - although they were relatively inconclusive as my i9 10900f was limiting its core clocks but staying at a max of around 70 degrees.
Anybody know what BIOS settings will stop the CPU lowering its boost clocks in favour of temperature?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
So this is another AMD result, which is good as I think most people are buying AMD at the moment, but I'm curious to see if there's issues with the AMD mounting solution due to no backplate resulting in less tension in mounting resulting in a loss of thermal conductivity?

I ran some tests yesterday - although they were relatively inconclusive as my i9 10900f was limiting its core clocks but staying at a max of around 70 degrees.
Anybody know what BIOS settings will stop the CPU lowering its boost clocks in favour of temperature?

Shouldn't be anywhere near 70C, you are likely hitting power budget.

In AMD the setting is in Ryzen master.

Not sure how Intel works.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
For i9 10900F, Intel says the Tjunction temp is 100C, where throttling will begin.
So, go into BIOS and see if the 'CPU max core temp' is set at around 70C?
If it is not the Temp Throttle Limit being reached, maybe it is the Current/Power Throttle Limit?

Reactions: Tazpr

ExtremeSFFPC

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2020
I'm glad to see the other results from the 3700x with the fan pointed at the motherboard were poor and it wasn't just me and possible user error. I've been building systems for 20+ years now so I struggled a bit to figure out how I could have messed this up. I should have tried the fan orientation pointing away from the motherboard however but given all the results with the black ridge fan orientation, I assumed that pulling air in would be best in this case too.

I'm happy with the L9A and shroud so I won't be switching back but am curious to see results from others here too.

Good luck!

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@ExtremeSFFPC it's because your results - 10C worse than L9a with fan duct was very shocking that made us looking for possible answers. Most of us assumed the IS-47k would be in similar ballpark with the BR performance-wise, translation: it would and should be at least as good, if not better than the L9a. Thus if the IS47k is really 10C worse than the L9a then ID Cooling has a serious manufacturing/engineering problem here.

Just speaking of my own experience, my BR clone (which is not as good as than actual BR) is 3-4C better than L9a with fan duct - fan orientation towards motherboard. Hopefully we get more data points to have a clearer understanding.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
I'm glad to see the other results from the 3700x with the fan pointed at the motherboard were poor and it wasn't just me and possible user error. I've been building systems for 20+ years now so I struggled a bit to figure out how I could have messed this up. I should have tried the fan orientation pointing away from the motherboard however but given all the results with the black ridge fan orientation, I assumed that pulling air in would be best in this case too.

I'm happy with the L9A and shroud so I won't be switching back but am curious to see results from others here too.

Good luck!
Thank you for posting your results. As others have noted, we were shocked by the outcome and immediately started with more questions.... thanks for sticking around and not taking the criticism to heart.

For whatever reason, it looks like this cooler is optimized for exhaust only.

63holden

Chassis Packer
May 19, 2020
Should get some stock this weekend if you are interested.
Thanks for the heads up
Main reasons I'm looking at this cooler are ram compatibility and also fitting both AMD and Intel as it will have a temporary home on my overclocked i7 2600 k in a Loli 1 case till I can get my AMD build together

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
My cover arrived, trading my 5700xt for a 2070 tomorrow so I'll be rebuilding then - should have my personal opinions by the weekend!

Reactions: 63holden