Cooling ID-Cooling IS-47K 47mm 6-heatpipe cooler with 92x15mm fan - Black Ridge alternative?

ExtremeSFFPC

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2020
I'm surprised to see how well the axp90 performed compared to the black ridge and c7g. Would be curious to see how the L9A performs and soon, the IS-47K. I worry about fan turbulence with the axp90 being so close to the side panel vs an L9A or black ridge setup.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
This is a pretty good comparison (warning - lots of pics, slow loading) - https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2159728-1-1.html

The TLDR using google translate: test set up is on the MSI B450 ITX cooling a Ryzen 2700x

Using the fan off of the AXP 90 cu on each cooler, we have:

AXP-90: 77/77
T318: 81/81
Blackridge: 80/81*
C7-Cu: 82/83
AXP-100: 75/75

*The Blackridge was tested with the 90mm fan as exhaust/pushing air away from the motherboard. On an open test bench, that shouldn't alter performance much.

I can't tell what was changed between the 2 numbers.... it might be different stress tests. Elsewhere, it was brought up that the AXP-90 Alu is far more cost effective and only 2 degrees warmer. Also, there is more noise/turbulence on the copper version vs. the aluminum version at the same fan speed. Maybe resonance is an issue, as they are identical in shape.

I'm still satisfied with my Blackridge +120 mm fan, but I'm watching the AXP-90 and IS-47k. If/when my Ram becomes a bottleneck, I'll need options.

ExtremeSFFPC

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2020
For those interested, I installed the JHack 10mm high-RAM fan shroud yesterday on an L9A Chromax in a K39v2 case and CPU temps dropped about 4-6 degrees. Very impressive difference. My 3700x also boosts more aggressively and maintains higher clock speeds 50-100mhz during gaming. Well worth the $16!

Will do more testing when the IS-47K arrives next month but I have to say, I'm very happy with this setup and impressed with the L9A. Load temps are 70-74 gaming and max out around 81 in Prime95. I'm running a -0.5mv undervolt as well.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
For those interested, I installed the JHack 10mm high-RAM fan shroud yesterday on an L9A Chromax in a K39v2 case and CPU temps dropped about 4-6 degrees. Very impressive difference. My 3700x also boosts more aggressively and maintains higher clock speeds 50-100mhz during gaming. Well worth the $16!

Will do more testing when the IS-47K arrives next month but I have to say, I'm very happy with this setup and impressed with the L9A. Load temps are 70-74 gaming and max out around 81 in Prime95. I'm running a -0.5mv undervolt as well.

Looking forward to your work as well. It's good to get multiple people's opinion to verify these things.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
This is a huge comparison among downblowing coolers.

vyral_143

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2020
This is a huge comparison among downblowing coolers.

This is so much helpful !

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I did some preliminary testing. I don't have time to setup a full test suite like GN, with a proper noise normalized or thermal output normalized.

Here is what I found:

CPU: Ryzen 1600
Test Load: Small FFT Prime95
CPU+SOC package: Approx 85W

Big Shuriken 3 (reference)
@open bench: 51.8C stabilized max
DeltaT: 25.8
default fan curve, RPM did not record

IS-47K, fan as "intake," noctua nf-a9x14 used
@Pure Mk2 open top: 57C stabilized max
DeltaT: 30.6
Default fan curve, max RPM 2175

Conclusion: This cooler is probably really good. I'll leave up to the pros to figure that out.

Last edited:

ExtremeSFFPC

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2020
@Thehack Thanks for posting the results of thermal testing. I'm concerned about the motherboard compatibility list though. I have a gigabyte x570i in a k39v2 with FlareX ram. You listed the cooler as incompatible with tall ram and show that it overhangs the top of the mobo by 16mm. I don't think it's going to be compatible with my setup.

Thoughts?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack Thanks for posting the results of thermal testing. I'm concerned about the motherboard compatibility list though. I have a gigabyte x570i in a k39v2 with FlareX ram. You listed the cooler as incompatible with tall ram and show that it overhangs the top of the mobo by 16mm. I don't think it's going to be compatible with my setup.

Thoughts?

Might fit with flare X, as ram clearance is 40 mm.

The socket placement is not very central, so it does overhang a bit. If the K39 can also fit 16mm fan it might also fit regardless. See if you can measure the board edge to top panel.

ExtremeSFFPC

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2020
Do you have any more pictures of the cooler you can post? Maybe a couple on the gigabyte board? I thought it was purposely designed not to overhang the RAM at all?

There isn't any additional spacing between the top of the motherboard and the power supply so it sounds like it won't fit in this case.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Do you have any more pictures of the cooler you can post? Maybe a couple on the gigabyte board? I thought it was purposely designed not to overhang the RAM at all?

There isn't any additional spacing between the top of the motherboard and the power supply so it sounds like it won't fit in this case.

It either overhangs the rear IO or the RAM, but at least one of them cannot be taller than 43mm from the motherboard surface.

Seems the issue that your m.2 shield and chipset cooler is too big. If you add an aftermarket heatsink and use the airflow from the cooler, it should work.

ExtremeSFFPC

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2020
That's very helpful, thank you. I'm going to cancel my order unfortunately. I've been happy with the results and acoustics of the L9A so no need to tear my system apart and have to modify it further to make this work.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018

Everything like that depends on the socket placement on the motherboard, both relative to the RAM slots and the edges of the board. I made a quick mockup using the previously posted images from this thread + a top-down photo of the B550I Aorus (the cooler is rendered from below, so I flipped it, but this of course doesn't account for perspective distortion - the heatsink is likely to be a bit bigger than this, in other words). Sizing is based on the AM4 socket cooler mounting holes aligning with the screws on the cooler render.

Looks like it will fit, though this makes the cooler look a bit small compared to the renders. I'm thinking it should be scaled another 5mm or so (at least) in each direction for more realistic measurements. Still ought to fit though.
This is an attempt to scale it more accurately based on the measurements of the cooler vs. the measurements of the board, though the dimensions don't quite line up (spec says 120x110mm, which I assume is 120mm from the end of the heatpipes to the opposite end of the cooler, yet with that scaled to 120mm the other dimension is less than 110mm) so I went for a compromise, more like 125x108mm. As the mounting holes no longer line up I've centered it as best I could.

Still looks like it would fit without any interference - there is some more overlap with the VRM heatsink, but that's on the slimmed down part of the cooler.

Reactions: Kapsi

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Everything like that depends on the socket placement on the motherboard, both relative to the RAM slots and the edges of the board. I made a quick mockup using the previously posted images from this thread + a top-down photo of the B550I Aorus (the cooler is rendered from below, so I flipped it, but this of course doesn't account for perspective distortion - the heatsink is likely to be a bit bigger than this, in other words). Sizing is based on the AM4 socket cooler mounting holes aligning with the screws on the cooler render.

Looks like it will fit, though this makes the cooler look a bit small compared to the renders. I'm thinking it should be scaled another 5mm or so (at least) in each direction for more realistic measurements. Still ought to fit though.
This is an attempt to scale it more accurately based on the measurements of the cooler vs. the measurements of the board, though the dimensions don't quite line up (spec says 120x110mm, which I assume is 120mm from the end of the heatpipes to the opposite end of the cooler, yet with that scaled to 120mm the other dimension is less than 110mm) so I went for a compromise, more like 125x108mm. As the mounting holes no longer line up I've centered it as best I could.

Still looks like it would fit without any interference - there is some more overlap with the VRM heatsink, but that's on the slimmed down part of the cooler.

You can scale it off the fan size, 92x92. But the render is likely to have a perspective issue. I can measure it on hand for you as well.

The board mentioned is x570i. Not sure the difference between the one you have pictured, but one of the issue is the size of the m.2 shield and chipset cooler.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I am interested in one of these, but it's down to if it will fit on any of the B550 boards normally. I'm wanting to get a rid of my ASUS X570-I and it's loud chipset fan. Would you also be considering selling the 120mm fan mount when it is completed?

Millisecond.build

Cable Smoosher
Apr 30, 2019
Thank you for the guys who ordered from the store. I'm already shipping orders out. Most should arrive by early next week.

Is there any more demand to keep it consistently stock? I am a little cautious about ordering a lot of these for people to turn around and order from Amazon, who can offer free shipping.
I'm interested in buying it, but after not seeing the b450i strix I'm wondering if there are compatibility problems