Cooling ID-Cooling IS-47K 47mm 6-heatpipe cooler with 92x15mm fan - Black Ridge alternative?

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I'm interested in buying it, but after not seeing the b450i strix I'm wondering if there are compatibility problems
I don't think you'd have any issues fitting it on a B450i - those boards had pretty good compatibility with the exception of the soundcard/M.2 heatsink but most of the other Asus Strix boards in the compatibility sheet have these too so just compare to those as to whether it may conflict.

Questl

Chassis Packer
Nov 12, 2019
Where are y'all buying this? Their website links to Newegg, Ebay, and AliExpress pages that don't have it for sale. Seen a couple forum-goers that apparently got preorders, but it sounds like there's stock somewhere and I'm not seeing it.

ExtremeSFFPC

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2020
Where are y'all buying this? Their website links to Newegg, Ebay, and AliExpress pages that don't have it for sale. Seen a couple forum-goers that apparently got preorders, but it sounds like there's stock somewhere and I'm not seeing it.

Ordered mine from JHack

It looks like it's incompatible with the gigabyte x570i board however. I'll try it out when it arrives on Wednesday and would be happy to sell it to you at cost if I end up not keeping it. I'm actually very happy with the L9A and 10mm fan shroud in the K39

Questl

Chassis Packer
Nov 12, 2019
Ordered mine from JHack

It looks like it's incompatible with the gigabyte x570i board however. I'll try it out when it arrives on Wednesday and would be happy to sell it to you at cost if I end up not keeping it. I'm actually very happy with the L9A and 10mm fan shroud in the K39

I also found it on Taobao (here's the Superbuy link) but I genuinely can't make heads or tails of the "Classifications". They look like different coolers, but maybe they just borrowed pics of their other coolers for examples of materials and fans?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I also found it on Taobao (here's the Superbuy link) but I genuinely can't make heads or tails of the "Classifications". They look like different coolers, but maybe they just borrowed pics of their other coolers for examples of materials and fans?

They're just customization options, but that is not a "IS-47K." Pictures are of black ridges.

I wouldn't buy from sketchy sources. It should be available in August for wide availability.

Fa5en

Trash Compacter
Jan 22, 2020
Perfekt with the compability list. Very helpful. My B360-i should be able to fit it. Looking to buy a Velka 7 later on. Fingers crossed it will fit.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
ID Cooling is sending most of its stock to overseas retailers and keeps only a small quantity to sell locally, at this stage of product release. Maybe trying to get a better market penetration?
Its official channel in Tmall.com just sold out its pre-sale stock yesterday.
Suppose to restock in late July, as I heard.
Maybe check the site everyday for availability. 189 CNY is about 27 US$, plus shipping to your location.

63holden

Chassis Packer
May 19, 2020
I can't wait for this to hit the main retail channels and become more widely available ( especially in Australia) and see some in depth reviews, I was looking at the Blackridge but I am liking this for the better ram compatibility

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Mine's reached the LA distribution centre which is the last stop before crossing the Pacific ordinarily so hopefully I can get this in next week and stop using this darn stock cooler hahaha

@63holden - the shipping cost in combination with the cooler from jhack was about the same as a BlackRidge, I'm in Melbourne for reference

63holden

Chassis Packer
May 19, 2020
- the shipping cost in combination with the cooler from jhack was about the same as a BlackRidge, I'm in Melbourne for reference
Thanks for the feedback just so happens I am in Melbourne too, I look forward to hearing your impressions when you get it
Cheers

Reactions: Tazpr

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Should have a small stock soon. Seems to be very popular so I asked if they can spare some more. I'll update you guys if there is more availability.

ID-Cooling says there is limited stock, due to whatever internal reason. Possibly mis-read how popular it may be, and COVID19 constraints.

Reactions: 63holden

Meceka

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 4, 2020
Hello everyone, I just wanted to let you know that I'm also in the same boat. Planning to get one for a future system that has Dan Case A4.1 and B550 or X570 with 3900XT CPU.

Have I understood correctly, that we can rotate the heatsink 180 degrees so that it would extend to the ram side instead of IO and we need to use it with a low profile Ram?

Is it what it means here
Tall RAM Mode Compatible?Low Profile Ram compatible?

Thank you.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Hello everyone, I just wanted to let you know that I'm also in the same boat. Planning to get one for a future system that has Dan Case A4.1 and B550 or X570 with 3900XT CPU.

Have I understood correctly, that we can rotate the heatsink 180 degrees so that it would extend to the ram side instead of IO and we need to use it with a low profile Ram?

Is it what it means here
Tall RAM Mode Compatible?Low Profile Ram compatible?

Thank you.
There are two possible meanings of "tall RAM" and "low profile RAM" - either "tall" means standard profile (like Corsair LPX or RAM without heatsinks) and "low profile" means ULP DIMMs, but IMO the more likely meaning in this case (due to the design of the cooler being made to not overlap RAM slots at all in most cases) "tall" means "however tall you want it, cooler doesn't interfere" and "low profile" means "standard profile" like Corsair LPX or RAM without heatsinks. Given that the illustrations of the cooler show it not extending over the RAM slot at all I find the latter meaning much more likely, particularly as the first reading (where both designations are limited in height, just at different levels) implies a third category for boards with no overlap at all - and there are after all only two categories.

ExtremeSFFPC

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2020
My IS-47K arrived two days early and after 2.5 hours of forcing it onto my Gigabyte x570i motherboard in a K39v2 case, I finally ran P95 to test performance. Long story short, 8-10 hotter than an L9A with 10mm fan shroud (note a slight ambient temp increase). Noise is also louder than the L9A.

Test system:
Gigabyte Aorus X570i itx
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x with -0.5mv offset
FlareX RAM
Gigabyte 2060 itx
Enhance 7660b 600W
K39 version 2.0 case

Coolers tested:
Noctua L9A chromax w/10mm fan shroud from JHack
IDCooling IS-47K w/Noctua chromax 92mm fan

Results:
LOAD
L9A w/shroud maxed out 10mins Prime95 at 84.8C
IS-47K w/Noctua chromax maxed out only 6 minutes into Prime95 at 94C; test stopped.
(note, 2-3C ambient temperature change)

IDLE
L9A 46-50C
IS-47K 52-55C

Very disappointing performance and unfortunately a huge pain in the @$$ to swap it out in this case. Surprising results given the increase in mass on the IS-47K and 4 additional heatpipes. I did take a lot of pictures along the way but once I finally force fit the fan onto the IS-47K by wedging it into the heatpipes, I forgot to take a picture of the final fit so I will post them after I swap back to the L9A for those who are still interested in trying this cooler out with a Gigabyte X570i mobo. In default configuration, the 92mm fan bumps up against the chipset heatsink and just barely prevents it from mounting on the mobo. If you remove the chipset fan, it should fit without an issue. That wasn't an option for me.

Let me know if you have any questions or want to see any other pictures. I'm off to make the swap back to the L9A and will have this cooler up for sale for anyone who wants to give it a go despite the results. Make an offer, I'm willing to let it go real cheap.

Pictures

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@ExtremeSFFPC Not beating BR is okay but 10C hotter than L9a just doesn't seems right. Maybe contact was not good enough? And how did you mount the cooler onto the board? For example with my BR I had to offset fan slightly away from the PCH fan and "pressure"-mount it kinda.

Reactions: scatterforce

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
@ExtremeSFFPC What orientation were you running on the cooler too?

I think there's something off as 10 degrees is a massive disparity which I would not expect given the increase in surface area and heat pipes.

ExtremeSFFPC

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2020
To add, the fan on the IS-47K was set to intake, not exhaust. See picture 19 of 22 which shows how I originally mounted the noctua fan as intake on the heatsink. This was prior to test fitting on the mobo which forced me to wedge the fan closer to the curve of the heatpipes. I did not try it mounted as exhaust so cant compare.
I was very surprised by the poor performance as well given the size difference between the coolers. I tested mounting pressure and made sure there wasn't an issue with clearance elsewhere. The cooler was screwed on tight and had even pressure on the CPU. The curve of the heatpipes were at the bottom of the case (mobo is mounted upside down) and 92mm fan wedged against them so it would fit without interference with the chipset heatsink.

The L9A is back on my system with Prime95 running as I type. I'm 8 minutes into the test and stabilizing at 84.8C.
For reference, the L9A without a fan shroud is 2-4C warmer as the hot air starts to recycle. Shroud is definitely worth it.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
To add, the fan on the IS-47K was set to intake, not exhaust. See picture 19 of 22 which shows how I originally mounted the noctua fan as intake on the heatsink. This was prior to test fitting on the mobo which forced me to wedge the fan closer to the curve of the heatpipes. I did not try it mounted as exhaust so cant compare.
I was very surprised by the poor performance as well given the size difference between the coolers. I tested mounting pressure and made sure there wasn't an issue with clearance elsewhere. The cooler was screwed on tight and had even pressure on the CPU. The curve of the heatpipes were at the bottom of the case (mobo is mounted upside down) and 92mm fan wedged against them so it would fit without interference with the chipset heatsink.

The L9A is back on my system with Prime95 running as I type. I'm 8 minutes into the test and stabilizing at 84.8C.
For reference, the L9A without a fan shroud is 2-4C warmer as the hot air starts to recycle. Shroud is definitely worth it.

Hm, that is unfortunate.

Mine did surprisingly well during my verification run (see 5C different, though in best case scenario).

I think it likely has something to do with force handling the install. Even if it seems like it may fit, a tiny air gap or bubble will kill thermal transfer.

You should do a verification run in the orientation that fits without adjustments and see how it does.