Cooling ID Cooling IS-30

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
It finally arrived, can't wait to test. Looks pretty well built, slightly better than IS-40 v3. I tried the fan at full tilt, it's not quiet, but not terribly loud either. Also it feels like it moves a lot of air.
One important note, it comes with good version of am4 bracket, not that lousy am3-am4 combination that is not compatible with some boards.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I actually just ordered one as well that I plan on using with a 3400G. We'll see how it goes.

hlgr

Chassis Packer
Mar 16, 2017
It finally arrived, can't wait to test. Looks pretty well built, slightly better than IS-40 v3. I tried the fan at full tilt, it's not quiet, but not terribly loud either. Also it feels like it moves a lot of air.
One important note, it comes with good version of am4 bracket, not that lousy am3-am4 combination that is not compatible with some boards.

Hey have you tested it yet? How is the performance? :)

Reactions: riba2233

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
I have one for sale, I've just put it on ebay. Selling as I've moved to a 20 litre case from my 3.9l K39, and will look to get a bigger cooler. I've had it on a 7600k and it has been fine. I did put a Noctua a9x14 on it and it was brilliant. I've now sold my L9i for the same reason to get some funds for my current case project so dont have any Noctua fans spare

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I have one for sale, I've just put it on ebay. Selling as I've moved to a 20 litre case from my 3.9l K39, and will look to get a bigger cooler. I've had it on a 7600k and it has been fine. I did put a Noctua a9x14 on it and it was brilliant. I've now sold my L9i for the same reason to get some funds for my current case project so dont have any Noctua fans spare

I would buy it (need another one) but shipping is just too much, sorry! Can you see if there is a cheaper solution, like recommended letter? To Croatia. Thanks!

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
I would buy it (need another one) but shipping is just too much, sorry! Can you see if there is a cheaper solution, like recommended letter? To Croatia. Thanks!

Unfortunately I couldn't find them anywhere when I looked, I had to buy it from Taobao with a bunch of other things it made the postage reasonable but on its own it would probably be best to look at a different cooler

cam609lee

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 27, 2020
I managed to pick one up on Ebay for cheap, so here are some pics of it. I also got a NF-A9x14 PWM off Ebay as well, so there are some images of it mounted to the cooler as well. I've ordered in some screws that should hopefully fit better. (Update - To fit a Noctua NF-A9x14 you need M3x14mm screws)

That said, I'm not sure the mounting plate is in the best of condition.

Also in other random news, Dynatron is selling a badge engineered model, the T497.

I had the same idea. I built an ultra SFF PC for the office in the Streacom FC1 Evo Chassis with the Noctua NH-L9i (37mm) for the cooler, but there was too little clearance between the optical drive and the cooler so airflow was restricted. I had built another FC1 Evo that cools from a Silverstone SST-NT08-115XP (33mm), and it works fine, but is a little noisy . . . plus unreliable with it's sleeve bearing fan. The problem is a difference of 4mm. I've since ordered an IS-30 and am planning on pairing the 18mm heatsink with the 14mm Noctua fan, creating very quiet and effective 32mm cooler. I hope this isn't just an over-blown piece of junk. It's Amazon reviews don't seem very favorable. I'll post temp numbers from the stress tests once it's assembled.

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

cam609lee

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 27, 2020
I had the same idea. I built an ultra SFF PC for the office in the Streacom FC1 Evo Chassis with the Noctua NH-L9i (37mm) for the cooler, but there was too little clearance between the optical drive and the cooler so airflow was restricted. I had built another FC1 Evo that cools from a Silverstone SST-NT08-115XP (33mm), and it works fine, but is a little noisy . . . plus unreliable with it's sleeve bearing fan. The problem is a difference of 4mm. I've since ordered an IS-30 and am planning on pairing the 18mm heatsink with the 14mm Noctua fan, creating very quiet and effective 32mm cooler. I hope this isn't just an over-blown piece of junk. It's Amazon reviews don't seem very favorable. I'll post temp numbers from the stress tests once it's assembled.
The unit came and is now running quietly in my system. Out of the box, the quality of the heatsink impressed me. I switched it out with the Noctua cooler as planned and got the expected clearance. As far as stress testing goes, since the FC1 Evo is such a tiny case with restricted airflow, the question wasn't whether it would hit the i7-8700's junction temperature (100°C), but when. With no BIOS adjustments to the processor's frequency, temperatures reached 100°C after about 15 minutes of 100% load. In the cooler's defense, the turbo took it up to 4.0 GHz on all cores even at max temp, making it nowhere near a 65 watt CPU. With the CPU's frequency limited to 3.2 GHz, temperatures reached 85°C after 30 minutes. Idle temperatures sat around 45°C. In conclusion, I'd tentatively say that the IS-30's heatsink paired with a NF-A9x14 is the best ultra SFF cooler you can find. It's compatible with both Intel and AMD sockets, it's SSO2 bearing fan is quiet and reliable, and it's only 32mm tall. Would recommend.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
1 month necro:

I'm planning to get this for my 35w Athlon APU.

I believe there would be no issue thermal wise, but I have a question regarding the mounting solution.

I read somewhere that, there's a risk that this backplate-less mounting solution may bend the motherboard. Is it true? Anyone of you encounter this?

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 21, 2018
1 month necro:

I'm planning to get this for my 35w Athlon APU.

I believe there would be no issue thermal wise, but I have a question regarding the mounting solution.

I read somewhere that, there's a risk that this backplate-less mounting solution may bend the motherboard. Is it true? Anyone of you encounter this?
Some have reported warping on CPU coolers without a backplate, specifically the Blackridge. If you are worried, Noctua sells their AM4 backplate, which will work.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Some have reported warping on CPU coolers without a backplate, specifically the Blackridge. If you are worried, Noctua sells their AM4 backplate, which will work.

Wait you mean the Noctua AM4 backplate which is part of their AM4 mounting kit? It will fit with ID-Cooling's mounting system?

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 21, 2018
Wait you mean the Noctua AM4 backplate which is part of their AM4 mounting kit? It will fit with ID-Cooling's mounting system?
This should work just fine.

*note, I've not done this myself, but I have read in these forums others have done so.