Cooling is ID Cooling IS-60 more powerful, than CryOrig C7 copper ??

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
because its very difficult to trim even 2-3 mm off a metal part.

Linus from LTT ruined a GTX 1080 Mini, & he has a real tech business, with professional staff of 35-45 people.
I dont think its anywhere comparable, consider that linus is a tech media instead of tech engineering and he cut it with a reciprocating saw on a vise, cutting as close as he can dare to the heatpipes . He isnt an engineering firm crewed by 35 -45 professional engineer or even toolshop worker

this guy would just be cutting an l9 x65 as an experiment i would assume

Instran0

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 31, 2017
this guy would just be cutting an l9 x65 as an experiment i would assume

but why not just use an IS-60, which is already 55mm by default, instead of trying to cut a 65mm cooler down ???

i provided my reasons for not using other coolers at first, above, & stated that if i get a custom case tall enough, then i'm open to using an IS-60.

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
Because he wants to cut it ? I mean if he already has the tool, cutting his preexisting l9 x65 is free compared to trying to get an IS 60 , like I said he prolly want to do it as an experiment

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Because he wants to cut it ? I mean if he already has the tool, cutting his preexisting l9 x65 is free compared to trying to get an IS 60 , like I said he prolly want to do it as an experiment
As long as he is careful it should work. I have seen someone use a belt sander to remove 4mm from a NH-L12S and it worked fine.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
Ah, missed the discussion :D
Honestly, I just have very specific situation - I want to use cooler which uses the stock mounting mechanism. I have MSI B550i, which has non-standard backplate. Also non-backplate mounts are not my favorite. I also have sandwich case with no access to the backplate. So, any mounting of the cooler would require disassembling the whole PC. Also, with the custom cables and the 6800XT, it isn't as easy as throwing everything inside. So, I would rather take my time and cut down the Noctua (when I have the time), than wondering if something will work or not.
Not to mention that where I live, it will be hard to get one (locally not at all, anyways).

As for cutting - I already tried cutting one Wraith Max, but sadly ruined, as the cut had to be too close the the pipes and I had no proper vise nor workbench. I will approach differently the Noctua, so I hope for more success.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 31, 2017
As for cutting - I already tried cutting one Wraith Max, but sadly ruined, as the cut had to be too close the the pipes and I had no proper vise nor workbench. I will approach differently the Noctua, so I hope for more success.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
Ah, missed the discussion :D
Honestly, I just have very specific situation - I want to use cooler which uses the stock mounting mechanism. I have MSI B550i, which has non-standard backplate. Also non-backplate mounts are not my favorite. I also have sandwich case with no access to the backplate. So, any mounting of the cooler would require disassembling the whole PC. Also, with the custom cables and the 6800XT, it isn't as easy as throwing everything inside. So, I would rather take my time and cut down the Noctua (when I have the time), than wondering if something will work or not.
Not to mention that where I live, it will be hard to get one (locally not at all, anyways).

if it fits your motherboard, you can use the noctua amd l9 mounting kit , its a much better solution than ID cooling mount

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
Still requires dremel to make it fit and still requires access to the backplate :)
I blame AMD for this:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
but why not just use an IS-60, which is already 55mm by default, instead of trying to cut a 65mm cooler down ???

i provided my reasons for not using other coolers at first, above, & stated that if i get a custom case tall enough, then i'm open to using an IS-60.

Be careful, IS60 is more than 55mm tall, more like 58.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
the manufacturer says height is 55mm.

do you have a photo showing that's incorrect ??
The Sliger SM series cases have exactly 55mm cooler clearance. I was able to use an IS-60 in my SM550 and I have seen others that have been able to use this cooler. I have also seen several examples of the cooler being slightly taller than 55mm.