Cooling is ID Cooling IS-60 more powerful, than CryOrig C7 copper ??

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
It should be. It has 6 heatpipes and 120mm fan (vs 4 heatpipes and 9cm fan of C7).

This massive test includes both of these coolers even though they are categorized differently (12cm group and 9cm group). But when compared together, IS-60 beats C7 Copper by 2-3 degrees. Not much thermally.
And I suppose the IS-60 with its 12cm fan should have produce lower noise too.

(It is in Chinese but the graphs should be easily understood)

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
only 2-3 degrees is not worth it.

I haven't seen the data, but do check at what fan speed the benchmark was done.

2-3 degrees may be a small number, but perhaps you get a less noisy system in return.

Reactions: BaK

Tonkatsu

Average Stuffer
Jul 18, 2020
If you read around users/builders experience a lot, you'll see that it's common knowledge that the IS-60 performs better than the C7 with whatever silly coating.
However, they are not the same height nor size category so it's technically not a fair comparison.

What I can tell personally, from experience, is that the IS-60 can cool all the way an i7-9700 (65W) in a Node 202 at ~20°C ambient.
But it cannot cool an i7-9700K efficiently-enough, even non-OC'd, the maintained Turbo Boost top temps quickly reach and break beyond 80°C nearing 85°C in a stress test, which means it'll be completely unmanageable in summer at 30~40°C ambient.
IS-60 is one of the most efficient low profile (well, 'moderate height') coolers empirically, and got its fame because it fits in the popular Node 202 case, which might have overhyped it slightly.
Anyway it seems to be in either shortage or even EOL status from chinese retailers AFAIK, hard to find unless maybe in a couple US stores that might still have some stock here and there. eBay scalpers have already taken an interest.

I'm about to try the AXP-100 copper which is maybe the only remaining alternative to the IS-60 at the moment in that size/height category, it's damn expensive and probably overpriced (guess that's the purpose of the fancy copper coating!) but still more affordable than an IS-60 on eBay from scalper's hands.

* side note:
That's how radical the difference between a locked and unlocked Intel is, OC notwhistanding.
That gap even on default is something that's too rarely mentioned on the internet, and not actually well-known, because users think like drones and typically don't exchange about use cases and environments that aren't what the market and consumer communities tell them to do with the product.
In short, when they think 'Intel CPU' they will only be able to tell about K models and have experience only in OC situations, they won't have given stock temps a minute of their attention and never took notes, which means most comments they share for everything else (non-K models, and stock Hz for the K) are few, low quality and reliabilty opinions, to say the least.
Dunno about AMD temps, but I guess it's the same deal.

Reactions: tinyitx and BaK

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I'm about to try the AXP-100 copper which is maybe the only remaining alternative to the IS-60 at the moment in that size/height category, it's damn expensive and probably overpriced (guess that's the purpose of the fancy copper coating!) but still more affordable than an IS-60 on eBay from scalper's hands.

AXP-100 Full Copper does not have a coating of copper but it is actually full copper. It weighs in at 600g (vs 320g of the regular AXP-100 RH).

Referring to the comprehensive test I linked above, AXP-100RH actually performs slightly better (by ~2C) than the full copper version when at higher fan speed (~1800rpm). If at lower fan speed (~1500 rpm), then they perform the same thermally (cooling the same i5 9600K under synthetic tests with the same Noctua NF-A9 fan).

I think, the main reason is, while the regular version and the full copper version both has the same number of fins and fin thickness and fin gap, the regular version has slightly taller fin. Thus, the total surface area for cooling is slightly bigger, giving a marginal benefit of a couple degrees C.

So, AXP-100 RH is a very viable alternative to the full copper version.
But, of course, the full copper version has that luxurious illustrious copper look, which can be irresistible.

Reactions: rfarmer

Instran0

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 31, 2017
If you read around users/builders experience a lot, you'll see that it's common knowledge that the IS-60 performs better than the C7 with whatever silly coating.

ok, but " by how much " is the point.

if its by only 2-3 degrees, why should i use it ???

you can just swap its default C7 fan, with a Noctua fan, which solves the noise issue.

Tonkatsu

Average Stuffer
Jul 18, 2020
AXP-100 Full Copper does not have a coating of copper but it is actually full copper. It weighs in at 600g (vs 320g of the regular AXP-100 RH).
I'm no metallurgy expert, but I've seen this guy dremel its own to increase clearance and what's beneath didn't look like copper.
Or the one that sanded the base to find what didn't look like copper mixed in it either.
I'll find the sources with pictures again just give me a moment.

EDIT; the hell if I can find the dremeled pictures again, I don't know where they are anymore sorry, but I'm positive I saw that.
here's at least the one who sanded the base, with pic this time https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07HFF29TK
Anyway the dremeled fins underneath looked the same grey metal.
You'll find other amazon reviews complaining it's not 'full' copper.

While I'm not saying the copper claim is false I'm far from being the only one doubting the 'full' pure copper claim, even there on sffn you'll find expressed doubt, in particular considering the perfect shine of it and even the screws, which tells they have a means to give that copper shine to everything, and that's called plating.
You can make a sink with heavy steel or whatever mixed inside, coat the whole thing with copper and call it 'full copper', then anyway what kind of barbarian would actually dremel and sand it to check ?
(western barbarians! that's who! lol)
There are more several troubling elements, the TDP design performance sounds like fantasy unless they mean on an ideal test rig in a cool room using the provided 2500rpm (inevitably loud) fan.

Anyway I'll have all the time to compare its performance to the IS-60 in real conditions.

AXP-100 RH is a very viable alternative to the full copper version.
But, of course, the full copper version has that luxurious illustrious copper look, which can be irresistible.
The RH is taller though, wouldn't fit in the Node 202 without case modding and honestly where I live only 4.5eur cheaper than the copper version, so I've got the latter.

Efficient sub-60mm (w/15mm fan) 5-6 heatpipe & 120mm fan, is a small sub-category with so few swappable references, some now EOL (Samuel 17, Big Shuriken 2, IS-60, and AXP-100 F.C.)
They are more efficient than the smaller air coolers, but often have fitting issues.
Seriously my IS-60 arrived bent like 1mm and because of that would touch both the LP RAM and other components like mobo's VRM sink or Wi-Fi module, the manufacturers of these 'large low profile' coolers want to make the most of the space available on paper, I understand, but they go extreme and don't take small variables into consideration, which can cause sometimes serious fitting issues.
If they'd left 1 or 1,5mm more clearance on the side extremities, I doubt that would affect the dissipation power in perceptible negative ways.

ok, but " by how much " is the point.

if its by only 2-3 degrees, why should i use it ???

you can just swap its default C7 fan, with a Noctua fan, which solves the noise issue.
IMHO, that's referring to one comparative review, personally I wouldn't trust it's always just 2~3 degrees in all situations, with every cpu/board/case.
We have to consider how it performs on a variety of quite warm CPUs at significant loads, for how long and in what environment.
From the (unreasonable) time I've spent looking for info on air coolers, I've seen only one salient feature common to all products ; what users/builders tell show that the more pipes and fins/surface for dissipation, the more powerful fans used, the more efficient the airflow in the case minding it, the better at cooling the air coooler, period.

Inevitably within their cases (closed and with a variety of CPUs) the 5~6 pipes models with 120mm fan (or high RPM but w/ louder 90mm) deal better with upper-tier temperatures than the small air coolers.
Which metal and/or coating doesn't seem to make as much a difference as marketing claims, it's really the total dissipation surface + volume of air moving fast through it that matters, overwhelmingly so for what's maybe like 90% of the total performance if not more.

Graphs are nice looking but in this particular field I chose to trust users feedback, because they tell about what they experience with those coolers in real life situations.

Graphs notwhistanding, what I've read about the AXP-100 (copper or not) is that it performs roughly on par with the IS-60, despite being way more expensive and claiming 180W TDP design.
Someone was saying maybe that's because of the fewer, and thicker, fins.

Again from that, another trend that's been emerging in recent times if you pay attention well to what they say, is that those air coolers, in SFF cases, no matter how many pipes and fins and powerful fans, aren't efficient enough for cooling many modern CPUs, and in particular not the unlocked.
Either we limit our SFF builds to more temperate CPUs (65W locked and such) , either we go water cooling from day-1 building, but air coolers ? even for mildly powerful builds they are about obsolete.

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 31, 2017
is that those air coolers, in SFF cases, no matter how many pipes and fins and powerful fans, aren't efficient enough for cooling many modern CPUs, and in particular not the unlocked.
Either we limit our SFF builds to more temperate CPUs (65W locked and such) , either we go water cooling from day-1 building, but air coolers ? even for mildly powerful builds they are about obsolete.

respectfully disagrees.

i know from personal experience that both a BlackRidge w/ 120mm fan, and a CryOrig C7 copper w/ Noctua fan swap can cool a i9-9900KS perfectly, if you have an airgap of at least 3- 4mm, between its cooler and sidepanels.

the issue is that the BlackRidge setup requires VLP Ram, while the C7 copper setup requires a case around 69mm tall.

Last edited:

Tonkatsu

Average Stuffer
Jul 18, 2020
I'm beginning to suspect I got caught in a troll's net.
Not the kind of thread I'd expect to happen on sffn but funny if so lol. 😄

Instran0

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 31, 2017
its not just a straight comparison.

there are many factors in this comparison, such as height.

IS-60 is 8mm taller than CryOrig C7.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
i know from personal experience that both a BlackRidge w/ 120mm fan, and a CryOrig C7 copper w/ Noctua fan swap can cool a i7-9900KS perfectly, if you have an airgap of at least 3- 4mm, between its cooler and sidepanels.

By i7-9900KS, do you mean i9-9900KS (127w TDP)? In reality I believe they can consume more power & dump more heat as shown here https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900ks-special-edition-review/3

I'm more of an air cooler person myself, so this is interesting, because if i remember correctly, C7cu is only rated for 115w. Do you have any benchmark data you can share that can support your experience?

Doesn't have to be very detailed, as long as it shows:
- the case (or open bench) used
- cpu & ambient temperature
- fan RPM
- benchmark application used
- any non-standard CPU settings applied in BIOS or OS level

Instran0

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 31, 2017
I'm more of an air cooler person myself, so this is interesting, because if i remember correctly, C7cu is only rated for 115w. Do you have any benchmark data you can share that can support your experience?

if you look at this video, it basically confirms what i'm saying about a BlackRidge :

as for a C7 copper, i'll try to get someone to put it in a video, later in june or july.

also, note that i'm not talking about a stock BlackRidge or stock C7 copper. you need a BlackRidge w/ 120mm fan & VLP Ram, or a C7 copper with Noctua fan swap.

Last edited:
Reactions: ignsvn

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
if you are going to talk only about c7 with fan swap , then you should put it in your opening post no ? Because thats your argument when someone said that the is60 will cool it better, which again answer your previous question

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
if you look at this video, it basically confirms what i'm saying about a BlackRidge :

as for a C7 copper, i'll try to get someone to put it in a video, later in june or july.

also, note that i'm not talking about a stock BlackRidge or stock C7 copper. you need a BlackRidge w/ 120mm fan & VLP Ram, or a C7 copper with Noctua fan swap.

Commenting on the video, if we allow for a stock CPU to throttle to stay at certain temperature (like what Optimum Tech encountered in the video), I guess I can agree that a Blackridge is capable to cool the 5950x.

However, in many benchmarks, I believe a CPU cooler is considered as fail if the CPU throttles. Thus, this may not be the definition of "capable" many others think of, hence the disagreement.

(On top of that, I might be wrong but I believe 9900KS is hotter than 5950x. However, indeed 120mm fan should perform better, but not sure how much)

Anw, back to your original question, between the 2, if space is not an issue, I'd go with IS-60 instead of the C7cu.

To be clear, it's not that I don't believe your good experience with Blackridge + 120mm fan on 9900KS, but a proper benchmark result would be very helpful for us who rely on data.

Last edited:
Reactions: Supercluster

Instran0

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 31, 2017
Because thats your argument when someone said that the is60 will cool it better, which again answer your previous question

i did not word everything exactly correct, & will try to do better.

Anw, back to your original question, between the 2, if space is not an issue, I'd go with IS-60 instead of the C7cu.

i'm trying to order a custom case, which can fit a IS-60, which is 8mm taller.

my current case won't fit a 55mm cooler.

if my order goes thru, i'll arrange a CPU cooling test.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
What is the case you are looking at?
I will be cutting Noctua NH-L9x65 to fit it inside SM550, which has 55mm clearance to cool 5900X :)

Instran0

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 31, 2017
I will be cutting Noctua NH-L9x65 to fit it inside SM550, which has 55mm clearance to cool 5900X :)

there's no way you'll be able to cut 10 whole millimeters off successfully.

i suggest you just buy an IS-60, which is already 55mm at default.

What is the case you are looking at?

previously, i had a SkyReach 4 Mini modded, so that its sidepanels were taller to get the cooler to fit.

however, these days NFC Systems has custom cases in development, which are just taller by default.

Last edited: