Concept Hybrid Transformer One - Portable modular All-in-One system

zanduh

Trash Compacter
Jan 15, 2018
Really loving the stand! I know this is venturing into the realm of way-over-engineered but I would love for a quick release for the stand like a laptop dock.

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
IMO, SFX in center position is better. Can hide cable behind monitor stand. And speakers both sides (left and right), instead up position (monitor mode) where warm air from GPU go (still be in up, but both sides, near I/O ports and fans)
Deattachable (wireless) keyboard, but there need some mounting mechanism

Last edited:

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Nice monitor stand, great idea !

Thanks!

hey, nice progress here :)
I like the idea of monitor stand. do you feel like adding a vesa mount option? maybe with a piece that fits into visa mount that then locks the case into place, so it will still be easy to remove

i also liked very much the ideia of this logitech keyboard. I will make it a bit easier if something ever goes bad with it, it will be just a matter of changing it. does this dimmensions allow the apple mini keyboards as well? I loved that keyboard when I had a mac and i think that having some couple more options that fit jut generay a good ideia. not sure how fixing would work, but its more of 'does it fit in this hole?' aproach

I dont want you to change too much just maybe give it a thought. I'm really liking what you're doing here :)

I love your idea with the vesa mount. So basically the monitor stand could have a removable mounting plate with vesa holes and a quick release mechanism. I will work out a first concept and then we can discuss it further. Thanks for your input!

Regarding the keyboard: Yes why not. So for now I see multiple options that could fit and have a nice build quality:

Logitech K810
Logitech K830
Microsoft Surface Bluetooth (I love this one)
Apple Mini

Really loving the stand! I know this is venturing into the realm of way-over-engineered but I would love for a quick release for the stand like a laptop dock.

Thanks! Quick release maybe possible. I will work something out.

I don't think it is over-engineered. I work at a particle accelerator. So I can say this is still pretty straightforwardXD

IMO, SFX in center position is better. Can hide cable behind monitor stand. And speakers both sides (left and right), instead up position (monitor mode) where warm air from GPU go (still be in up, but both sides, near I/O ports and fans)
Deattachable (wireless) keyboard, but there need some mounting mechanism

SFX in center position is not possible because the tubes of several AIO's are too short.

Speakers on left side are also not possible. There is just no space.

The keyboard will of course have a mounting mechanism. I think magnetic would be nice.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018

I changed some things:

- Speakers are now on the outside as some of you suggested. The air-out on the palm rest is much smaller. In exchange there are more air-in vents on the front side.

- There are two new modes: A pivot mode on the monitor stand and something i call desk mode. There will be some tiny and easy to transport stands that can be mounted on the backside via thumb screws. This allows a monitor style position on the desk when you are not at the same location as the monitor stand. This is better for long typing with the external bluetooth keyboard. I am also thinking about a handle for this mode.

Last edited:

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018

I changed some things:

- Speakers are now on the outside as some of you suggested. The air-out on the palm rest is much smaller. In exchange there are more air-in vents on the front side.

- There are two new modes: A pivot mode on the monitor stand and something i call desk mode. There will be some tiny and easy to transport stands that can be mounted on the backside via thumb screws. This allows a monitor style position on the desk when you are not at the same location as the monitor stand. This is better for long typing with the external bluetooth keyboard. I am also thinking about a handle for this mode.

Incredible. I would love to see a prototype. I have not been here for a while. This imac style monitor stand is absolutely beautiful! With the I/O ports on the side it is perfect. Like it was planned like this from the beginning.

Do you have a timeline for this project?

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
This thing is really cool. :thumb:

Thanks!

Incredible. I would love to see a prototype. I have not been here for a while. This imac style monitor stand is absolutely beautiful! With the I/O ports on the side it is perfect. Like it was planned like this from the beginning.

Do you have a timeline for this project?

Thank you! Yes I have some sort of timeline. This summer will be really stressful for me. So there will be progress but not as fast as I wish. So my goal is to have everything ready for prototype production at the end of the year.

Some serious design work here. I do fear the 40mm fans though :/

Thanks! The 40 mm fans can be 20 mm deep. And the Noctua 40x20 mm PWM are not louder than their bigger fans (14,9 dB max). And with PWM you can adjust RPM. So I think this is fine.

Reactions: confusis

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018

So here is a picture for size comparison what Hybrid will look like on a desk in monitor and laptop mode.

This is my first concept for a one touch VESA quick lock. Thanks @owliwar for the vesa suggestion and @zanduh for the quick lock!

It works like this: You just have to clip Hybrid on the bolts, push it down into the notches and lock it with the one touch fastener. This should be done in seconds. It will also be safe and stiff.

I designed this with a stand-off so that the adapter doesn't block airflow.

It will also be pretty easy to manufacture. I will show the counterpart on Hybrid's underside soon.

With this adapter you can quick lock Hybrid on any VESA mount. Another benefit is that you can use any VESA monitor stand and I don't have to design and manufacture this one myself.

Last edited:

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018

So here is a picture for size comparison what Hybrid will look like on a desk in monitor and laptop mode.

This is my first concept for a one touch VESA quick lock. Thanks @owliwar for the vesa suggestion and @zanduh for the quick lock!

It works like this: You just have to clip Hybrid on the bolts, push it down into the notches and lock it with the one touch fastener. This should be done in seconds. It will also be safe and stiff.

I designed this with a stand-off so that the adapter doesn't block airflow.

It will also be pretty easy to manufacture. I will show the counterpart on Hybrid's underside soon.

With this adapter you can quick lock Hybrid on any VESA mount. Another benefit is that you can use any VESA monitor stand and I don't have to design and manufacture this one myself.

Really cool. But it has to be easy to target that bolts. So tolerances have to be carefully considered. Otherwise it maybe tricky to bring them together. That would make it less enjoyable if you want to use this feature often.

Jovogdiar

Caliper Novice
Apr 29, 2018
In my opinion, forget the keyboard and the trackpad. People who will find a use for this are people who need to take their computer somewhere with them and set it up somewhere else. People who go to LANs are a good example. Personally, this would allow me to bring my desktop computer to the hospital during my extended hospital stays. What this means is that people who will find a use for this will also be setting up some sort of work/gaming space wherever they bring that computer. So there really isn't a need for an integrated keyboard or a trackpad, since there will be no "on-the-go" computing happening since there is no battery. The keyboard and trackpad are not usable in 4 of the 5 configurations you show as an example anyway and I'm not sure we can call them usable in the laptop configuation either since they would be so high and uncomfortable to use. So I really think it's a waste. Besides, gamers like to use their own keyboard and laptop keyboards are generally trash. So I would also eliminate the laptop configuration since people will need space for the keyboard and mouse. This leaves an all-in-one. But then at that point, you might as well just buy or make a flat SFF case and buy a portable display and put both in a suitcase.

Reactions: Bjornyyy

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018
In my opinion, forget the keyboard and the trackpad. People who will find a use for this are people who need to take their computer somewhere with them and set it up somewhere else. People who go to LANs are a good example. Personally, this would allow me to bring my desktop computer to the hospital during my extended hospital stays. What this means is that people who will find a use for this will also be setting up some sort of work/gaming space wherever they bring that computer. So there really isn't a need for an integrated keyboard or a trackpad, since there will be no "on-the-go" computing happening since there is no battery. The keyboard and trackpad are not usable in 4 of the 5 configurations you show as an example anyway and I'm not sure we can call them usable in the laptop configuation either since they would be so high and uncomfortable to use. So I really think it's a waste. Besides, gamers like to use their own keyboard and laptop keyboards are generally trash. So I would also eliminate the laptop configuration since people will need space for the keyboard and mouse. This leaves an all-in-one. But then at that point, you might as well just buy or make a flat SFF case and buy a portable display and put both in a suitcase.

I absolutely disagree. There are major benefits in that concept:

- Only the laptop mode will allow a complete free angle adjustment. This is pretty crucial on such a device. Everybody knows how shitty it can be if you can't adjust a display in a comfortable angle! I don't want to miss that mode.

- The integrated keyboard perfectly fits the concept. The targeted microsoft surface is a really good keyboard and not everybody needs one of those mechanical RGB toys. They are big and require a lot of additional volume in my luggage. In the current concept I only need to carry my mouse.

- He had plans on a battery option with DC ATX. This is useless without the keyboard

So overall I don't want to miss the keyboard. Maybe the trackpad can be left out. But for sure not the keyboard. I would not want it without that. The beauty of this concept is that you don't need to carry additional stuff. And it is fully integral. Not a ugly tinkered half-baked solution like you suggested at the end. Nobody wants to walk around with such a Frankenstein solution.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Yes of course. This project will go on! But currently I have a lot of work to do (job and family/house). I expect to go on with this project in about 2 months. After that I will have way more time to focus on this. For now I have sadly nothing new to post... Except a 4k render of the old version with reflectionsXD Maybe you like it.

But I have an important question regarding the LCD. Which of the following panels do you like most:

1) 18.4 inch 4K (3840x2160) 60 Hz 100% Adobe RGB IPS

2) 18.4 inch Full HD (1920x1080) 60 Hz 100% Adobe RGB IPS

3) 17.3 inch WQHD (2560x1440) 120 Hz TN

4) 17.3 inch Full HD (1920x1080) 144 Hz IPS

The LCD Controller will offer Freesync for every resolution. G-Sync is not an option. The costs for the custom LCD Controller would explode.

So you see, sadly there is no 18.4 inch high refresh rate lcd panel available at the market. So which of the four solutions do you prefer and why?

Personally i prefer number one. I am not a hardcore gamer. Thats why I would like to have the bigger 18.4 inch display with 4k resolution and 100% Adobe RGB toegether with 60 Hz and Freesync.

But I could imagine to have two different bezels for the display. One for 18.4 inch and the other for 17.3 inch. The mounting frame would have enough holes to mount every option. So everyone can make his own decision. But I have concerns that the visual appearance will suffer with 17.3 inch and a bigger bezel. I have to test that in CAD.

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

Bjornyyy

Trash Compacter
Jan 22, 2017
Yes of course. This project will go on! But currently I have a lot of work to do (job and family/house). I expect to go on with this project in about 2 months. After that I will have way more time to focus on this. For now I have sadly nothing new to post... Except a 4k render of the old version with reflectionsXD Maybe you like it.

But I have an important question regarding the LCD. Which of the following panels do you like most:

1) 18.4 inch 4K (3840x2160) 60 Hz 100% Adobe RGB IPS

2) 18.4 inch Full HD (1920x1080) 60 Hz 100% Adobe RGB IPS

3) 17.3 inch WQHD (2560x1440) 120 Hz TN

4) 17.3 inch Full HD (1920x1080) 144 Hz IPS

The LCD Controller will offer Freesync for every resolution. G-Sync is not an option. The costs for the custom LCD Controller would explode.

So you see, sadly there is no 18.4 inch high refresh rate lcd panel available at the market. So which of the four solutions do you prefer and why?

Personally i prefer number one. I am not a hardcore gamer. Thats why I would like to have the bigger 18.4 inch display with 4k resolution and 100% Adobe RGB toegether with 60 Hz and Freesync.

But I could imagine to have two different bezels for the display. One for 18.4 inch and the other for 17.3 inch. The mounting frame would have enough holes to mount every option. So everyone can make his own decision. But I have concerns that the visual appearance will suffer with 17.3 inch and a bigger bezel. I have to test that in CAD.

Is it possible to predict the cost for each display type? If it's not that more expansive I would prefer option 3 over the other panels, but that's just my opinion.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Is it possible to predict the cost for each display type? If it's not that more expansive I would prefer option 3 over the other panels, but that's just my opinion.

I have not made any requests to suppliers yet. I already saw a price for the 4K panel. I assume it will be something like that:

18.4" Full HD 60 Hz IPS < 17.3" Full HD 144 Hz IPS < 17.3" WQHD 120 Hz TN < 18.4" 4K 60 Hz IPS (200$ per piece from China)

Of course prices will go down with ordering quantity. On the other Hand everybody has his own preference regarding the LCD. So for now I think I will construct the display frame in a way it can hold each of this panels.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Any updates?

As I said I currently have a lot of other work to do. But things move on slowly and here is the last state of the project:

- At first some quick renders of the current version (40% finished):

List of changes:

- Size: This is now a 17.3 inch machine! So the width got reduced by 30 mm and depth by 20 mm which means less volume. To make this possible the inner layout had to be changed (pictures will follow when model is ready). The main reason for 17.3 inch is the availability of way better panels. This gives access to the following panels:

1) 17.3 inch WQHD (2560x1440) 120 Hz TN 400 cd (my favorite)

2) 17.3 inch Full HD (1920x1080) 144 Hz IPS

3) 17.3 inch 4K (3840x2160) 60 Hz 100% Adobe RGB IPS

The case got optimized for Mircosofts Surface keyboard which fits perfectly.

- Sound: The new layout gives me the opportunity to integrate 3 inch speakers with 30 - 50 Watt RMS in the corners. This means way better and more powerful stereo sound. A powerfull little stereo amplifier board will power these speakers.

- Cooling: Cooling system and airflow got improved: 3 x 70 mm fans (backside), 1 x 90 mm fan (above mainboard), 1 x 60 mm fan (side). No speakers on the front means better air-intake and better evacuation of hot GPU air.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad502