Stalled Hutzy XS — Ultra Compact Gaming Case (<4L)

Ketchup

Trash Compacter
Jul 13, 2016
I know the brick will be outside. I'm fine with that. Unless I find something acceptable to go in the place of the FlexATX space. But tbh, anything AC-DC will be to big in my view. I want to put at least 1 x 2.5 and 1 x 80mm or a 92mm pushing air up. Having a brick gives me that space and removes some of the heat created by the AC-DC conversion even if that's not very much.

Bare in mind, I haven't purchased a PSU yet and I'm still researching what I want to do. But tbh, the G-Unique solution seems pretty good to me. And I need to know if 220W brick is gonna be fine for a i5-6500 with a EVGA 1060 SC. It should, but better be safe then sorry. Else I'll get a 300W.

Last edited:

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
Fair enough, sounds like a good plan, I just wanted to make sure someone didn't get confused with all the voltage output options available.

Ketchup

Trash Compacter
Jul 13, 2016
Yes, I did notice that this and the relationship between the AC-DC and the DC-DC seem to be a point of confusion on the forums and I thank you for making sure I understand that. I believe I have that covered. I hope. lol!

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
You can mount an HDPLEX 250W/300W (or something with the same mounting points) in XS and use an external brick; no need to go for direct plug and worry about clearances.

Hitokiri7777

What's an ITX?
Jan 27, 2017
First of all I wanted to say that Your Project is great and in terms of size it is simply awesome. There is a smaller S4 Mini by NFC, but it needs a HDPLEX with a external power brick so it doesn't count for me :p I travel with my PC a lot, so I preffer Your case with build in FLEX ATX.
I have some questions about Your case:
When are You planning on finishing and selling it? Is it a matter of a month or two, or more like half a year from now?
Will there be an option to sell, and send it to Europe? (Poland to be specific :) )
Are You planning to sell the case alone, or will there be an option to buy one with the PCI Express Riser and with PSU (I would be interested in any FLEX ATX over 350W with a connector to power a 1070 mini or 970 mini)
What price range are You aiming at? (both case alone, and case + riser + psu if that's an option)
Thank You in advance for Your answers, and good luck !

CknSalad

Chassis Packer
Apr 6, 2016
I wish they had 500 wat powerbricks, build a nice small gaming machine...
I personally do not like having a separate big powerbrick when I could have had a internal psu instead. I just find power bricks synonymous with laptops really. I still agree though that it would be a nice have for those that want to have this option for a 500 watt powerbrick. The problem is the demand for this is unfortunately probably really niche.

Reactions: Phuncz

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
It's more than that. About 4-5mm. There's also the issue of the direct-plug being so thick width-wise, and depending on the location of the 24-pin connector on the mobo, there might not be room for it in that dimension.

This layout came close, in the sense that AC-DC + DC-ATX just barely fit width-wise, taking the space of the HDD and the Flex
They're both upwards of 150mm though, and then you need to add another 40mm+ of length for the TicTac boxes and that's already longer than the XS.
So in the end, close but no cigar.

I know there's other DC-ATXs out there, but if I were to design for a AC-DC + DC-ATX combo that can take Flex's place, it's gotta be 300W+.
There just isn't an offering of those criteria out there yet that fits as tightly as a Flex.
There is a solution for the use of any sized DC-ATX Direct-Plug...

Solution: Use a short 24-pin ATX Extension Cable!

Definitely now could fit in a HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX Direct-Plug (via short ATX extension cable) somewhere next to an Asus Xonar DX LP Sound Card and then install a HDPLEX 80W Internal AC-DC adapter in the area just behind the C14 AC input.

Would it be harmful to lay/affix the Direct-plug on/by it's heatsink on a case... or maybe use a rubber standoff like they use for PSUs???

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I feel like the 160W HD-PLEX direct plug unit could be made thinner by not using the plastic box that encloses the 12v rail connectors for custom cables. That is easily the tallest thing on that board.

Reactions: ricochet

ChienliMa

Case Bender
Feb 10, 2017
Wow, this is the ultimate case I've beed dreaming about. I hope I can buy this as soon as possible.

And about the PSU you are looking for. How about this PSU:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LPTY2HM/?tag=theminutiae-20

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Apevia power supplies are of questionable quality and I would not recommend one. Seasonic makes good TFX units but the black-painted one is not available it seems.

ChienliMa

Case Bender
Feb 10, 2017
Thanks! The availability of the FlexATX form factor PSUs is definitely lacking right now. And one of the goals of this case is to give them a push towards consumer builds.

The current front runners are a 300W modular unit from Seasonic, and a 500W non-modular unit from FSP.

Just found two psu from seasonic, both full-modular, no 80-mm fan though:
350W: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=277
500W: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=276

CknSalad

Chassis Packer
Apr 6, 2016
I really want this case to come out and succeed. This would essentially be the Ncase M1 for UCSFF cases (<4 L) as FlexATX psus may garner interest from the likes of Corsair or Silverstone over time.

Reactions: Calvin and makiasd

CknSalad

Chassis Packer
Apr 6, 2016
I hope that we get updates in the next month or so. I get the feeling Hahutzy is just super busy with real life stuff at the moment.

DJH

Efficiency Noob
Feb 22, 2017
I'm just glad this case could possibly be a healthy alternative to those who've got the parts for an s4 mini but would like an even more compact ff. I've got the same feeling as well about the real life stuff. Regardless, take your time and keep up the good work @Hahutzy. This case will be worth the wait.

Reactions: TBLtoaster