Stalled Hutzy XS — Ultra Compact Gaming Case (<4L)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
would the 3.0 PCIe format play nicely with my Asus Xonar DX sound card?

I think I've read that those sound cards sometimes don't work correctly on PCIe 3.0 slots, but most motherboards have an option to run the slot in 2.0 mode.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
I think I've read that those sound cards sometimes don't work correctly on PCIe 3.0 slots, but most motherboards have an option to run the slot in 2.0 mode.
I would control that through BIOS then I take it? Need to check my Gigabyte H170N Manual.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yes, there should be a setting in the BIOS for the PCIe slot gen.

Ketchup

Trash Compacter
Jul 13, 2016
Is there room for HDPLEX's 160W DC-ATX Direct-plug? If so, then there would be plenty of room for either a 80W or 160W Internal AC-DC Adapter and space for orderly cable management.

I'm also wondering if the new HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX Direct-plug would fit.

Hahutzy, do you thing you could determine if it would fit?

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Speaking of risers... would the 3.0 PCIe format play nicely with my Asus Xonar DX sound card?

Most motherboards come out of the box running the PCIe socket on Auto mode in the BIOS, so it should in theory use the fastest protocol your addin card + riser can use.

I'm also wondering if the new HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX Direct-plug would fit.

Hahutzy, do you thing you could determine if it would fit?

No, the 160W DC-ATX Direct-plug won't fit. It's too tall considering the spec height is counted above the motherboard connector.

I'm trying to fit the 300W AC-DC + 300W DC-ATX combo too, but also having a hard time because of the IEC C14 socket.

The socket + AC-DC + DC-ATX dimensions together make it quite impossible to fit the package into a rectangular envelope of space.

It's like fitting a Flex ATX psu + 3 boxes of TicTac mints into the space I designed for a Flex ATX psu.

Ketchup

Trash Compacter
Jul 13, 2016
That's a bummer. So that 1.2mm is just to much or are we talking about more? We might need to beg Larry from HDPlex to make his Direct-plug smaller. Or I'll just use a 24 pin ATX extension.

I'm trying to fit the 300W AC-DC + 300W DC-ATX combo too, but also having a hard time because of the IEC C14 socket.

The socket + AC-DC + DC-ATX dimensions together make it quite impossible to fit the package into a rectangular envelope of space.

It's like fitting a Flex ATX psu + 3 boxes of TicTac mints into the space I designed for a Flex ATX psu.

Obviously I don't have the spacial view as you do for the Hutzy xs, but the only way I see this happening is putting the 300W DC-ATX where you've got the hdd and as high as you can put it or as you need to put it. You need to borrow some space somewhere outside the Flex ATX section imo and that's the only I see that you have.

I don't know of any other 300W AC-DC, but if you can't make it fit, maybe you could look at other DC-ATXs? 3lfk1ng, on this site, compiled a nice list here. I'm presuming that they're all compatible. I myself would prefer using a HDPlex, but if viable alternatives are found, then maybe you could stop forcing the Flex ATX to have a foursome with the TicTac boxes? I'm not sure it will ever recover. ;)

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
That's a bummer. So that 1.2mm is just to much or are we talking about more? We might need to beg Larry from HDPlex to make his Direct-plug smaller. Or I'll just use a 24 pin ATX extension.

It's more than that. About 4-5mm. There's also the issue of the direct-plug being so thick width-wise, and depending on the location of the 24-pin connector on the mobo, there might not be room for it in that dimension.

Obviously I don't have the spacial view as you do for the Hutzy xs, but the only way I see this happening is putting the 300W DC-ATX where you've got the hdd and as high as you can put it or as you need to put it. You need to borrow some space somewhere outside the Flex ATX section imo and that's the only I see that you have.

This layout came close, in the sense that AC-DC + DC-ATX just barely fit width-wise, taking the space of the HDD and the Flex
They're both upwards of 150mm though, and then you need to add another 40mm+ of length for the TicTac boxes and that's already longer than the XS.
So in the end, close but no cigar.

I know there's other DC-ATXs out there, but if I were to design for a AC-DC + DC-ATX combo that can take Flex's place, it's gotta be 300W+.
There just isn't an offering of those criteria out there yet that fits as tightly as a Flex.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Well, if there's ever a need for something custom that will fit, I think @guryhwa and @1461748123 would be the perfect people to talk to.
They have no shortage of creative solutions.

No doubt about that, but the XS is meant to use standard components (even if the traditional use case is different)

There's many layouts I would like to play with using custom solutions. At another time ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceros_X

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Sorry if I missed it in this thread, but how loud does the FlexATX psu get under load?

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
It's more than that. About 4-5mm. There's also the issue of the direct-plug being so thick width-wise, and depending on the location of the 24-pin connector on the mobo, there might not be room for it in that dimension.
Regarding the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATC Direct-Plug... it might not be so much a height restraint as it is actually only 34.7 mm from the top of the m/b 24-pin connector when it is plugged in... but rather the width as it is indeed a little wide at 34.7 mm though only @25 mm of that is coming from the m/b connector towards and over the edge of the motherboard. So definitely depends on the m/b type/design.

How much room/space is there from the front edge of the motherboard to the front panel? The HDPLEX 160W + 80W combo coupled Gigabyte H170N Wi-Fi might work fine in your case.
This layout came close, in the sense that AC-DC + DC-ATX just barely fit width-wise, taking the space of the HDD and the Flex
They're both upwards of 150mm though, and then you need to add another 40mm+ of length for the TicTac boxes and that's already longer than the XS. So in the end, close but no cigar.
I wonder if the HDPLEX 80W AC-DC Internal Adapter would fit at 121.4 x 30 x 40 mm???

Ketchup

Trash Compacter
Jul 13, 2016
Well, if there's ever a need for something custom that will fit, I think @guryhwa and @1461748123 would be the perfect people to talk to.
They have no shortage of creative solutions.
OMG, this is great.

Power levels ... check!
Acceptable price ... check!
Amazing cable management ... checheck!llllll
Space left at bottom of Hutzy xs to add a fan(s), ssds or whatever ... check!
Available now ... check!

I've asked for the height of the unit. It looks smaller than the new HDPlex 160 DC-ATX, so this might work. Everything is falling into place. This is a great time for usff.

SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE FANS ON MY FLEX ATX AT LOAD...
lol!

Ketchup

Trash Compacter
Jul 13, 2016
They're already taking pre-orders and you can request a 120W, 220W, 300W and 400W brick. As stated, the 300W and the 400W have already been modded for 12V usage. A confirmation of height with a confirmation from Hahutzy for the height and I'm making my order.

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
Right, but the brick can't go inside the case... which leaves a large void in the bottom where the FlexATX would go. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your intention.