How to use the Elgato HD60 S to stream to my laptop

ATTWIFI

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
So a few weeks ago, I posted a comment on the Chimera MachOne thread asking about the solution they were using to stream to their Mac, which was a Elgato HD60 S, but I didn't find any info regarding how to set it up, so this thread is here to answer that question.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
So a few weeks ago, I posted a comment on the Chimera MachOne thread asking about the solution they were using to stream to their Mac, which was a Elgato HD60 S, but I didn't find any info regarding how to set it up, so this thread is here to answer that question.

Setup Steps:
1. PC MOBO / GPU output via HDMI to Elgato HD60 S.
2. Elgato HD60 S output via USB-C 3.0 to Macbook / PC Laptop
3. Download and run Elgato software.
* If you have a 120-144hz PC laptop screen, use the Avermedia GC553, it has better capture resolution than the Elgato (2160p30 / 1440p60 / 1080p120 / 1080p60 HDR)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanook and jØrd

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016

Setup Steps:
1. PC MOBO / GPU output via HDMI to Elgato HD60 S.
2. Elgato HD60 S output via USB-C 3.0 to Macbook / PC Laptop
3. Download and run Elgato software.
* If you have a 120-144hz PC laptop screen, use the Avermedia GC553, it has better capture resolution than the Elgato (2160p30 / 1440p60 / 1080p120 / 1080p60 HDR)
It looks kind of slow. How usable is it? I routinely carry around an SFF PC and a Macbook, so this would be nice. The price is easily as high as a monitor. Is it worth it?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
It looks kind of slow. How usable is it? I routinely carry around an SFF PC and a Macbook, so this would be nice. The price is easily as high as a monitor. Is it worth it?

the Elgato HD60 S is 60hz, doesn’t feel laggy at all for me - but I don’t game, so ymmv.

A lot of people have a laptop anyways, so it’s more like why not use it this way for travel.

A monitor or a travel monitor with native DP/HDMI should always be better, but a nice one is also pretty expensive and more weight for travel, in which case, laptop is the prob the most efficient choice.

Reactions: Gautam

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
How does it compare to using TeamViewer or VNC? I just tried the former, and I must say it's good enough that I feel no need to by anything, and I probably won't be carrying around a spare monitor anymore.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
I had the hd60s to try once, and it did not work with my samsung laptop, it kept saying that I did not have a usb 3.0 port connected, even if the usb port is 3.0. I even connected it to my thunderbolt usb-c port, that did not work.

Just be aware that there are compatibility issues with it and certain laptops, whether it is the elgatos or the laptop's manufacturer that prevents the usb 3.0 connection to even be recognized by elgato's software.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
How does it compare to using TeamViewer or VNC? I just tried the former, and I must say it's good enough that I feel no need to by anything, and I probably won't be carrying around a spare monitor anymore.

hahaha, even more efficient I suppose.

Some parts of Asia has internet problems or block TeamViewer, assuming you are referring to internet remote control, it's too unreliable for me, but if it works for your use, even better.

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
hahaha, even more efficient I suppose.

Some parts of Asia has internet problems or block TeamViewer, assuming you are referring to internet remote control, it's too unreliable for me, but if it works for your use, even better.
It works beautifully over LAN. The shortcoming is that you need to carry a router around with you...hmmm...

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
It works beautifully over LAN. The shortcoming is that you need to carry a router around with you...hmmm...

Most routers are probably bigger than the capture card, so I choose lesser of the two evil.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
There is a multitude of ways around needing a desktop router. crossover connection between two machines, a switch w/ one of the two machines doing DHCP and routing, hell you could use a myfi if you really wanted too, will fit in your pocket. Of course every solution has advantages and disadvantages weather it be network based or otherwise.