Discussion How to source/produce affordable perforated side panels for designs?

CatapultCase

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Catapult Case
Jan 9, 2024
Hey folks, wasn't sure where best to post this so hope this is the right spot in the forum.

I'm designing some custom cases (link to prototypes thread) and of course, a key part of the design is the side panels that require ventilation. I've been using sendcutsend for prototyping, and 1 of the most expensive parts is the perforated side panels that I'm currently getting laser cut. The issue is even with volume discounts considered, the price seems quite high - often more than entire cases already on the market, so my question is - how are small batch case designers getting side perforations in their metal at a reasonable cost? I have found websites that sell pre-perforated metal, but I'm unsure right now if they can be sized with a non-perforated boarder to be used for a side panel.

Here is an example of what I'd like to get cut - it seems the matieral/thickness/finish is not the contributing factor, it's the holes!

Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated! plan B is to just have a cutout and attach some mesh material underneath, but I'm hoping there's something I'm missing here as a better option

Last edited:
Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

protocolsix

Chassis Packer
Dec 24, 2022
I am wondering this too. I did some investigation and I am almost certain all ventilation hole perforation at larger scale is never done with a laser. Instead, specific hole shapes are cut using a CNC-operated punch.

I think one industry term is “turret punch” which refers to having several punches in one mechanism, allowing for more shapes/patterns without changing tooling.

It seems conceivable this would be cost effective even at lower volumes, but I haven’t found any specific service that offers this with an online quote

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
A large part of the cost of laser cutting comes from the initial cut through the material. Knowing that, you can cut on the cost by having less individual shapes. Try playing with patterns that consist of larger holes.

These default round hole ventilation patterns are indeed usually stamped. Stamping has a higher tooling cost and is much more complex than CNC laser cutting and bending. For small projects it's generally not an option because there's a very large setup cost and a high MOQ.

There are Chinese manufacturers that aim at small volume projects that you could ask for a quote too. Facfox, Xometry, PCBWay are a few you could try.