Her Name is "Byte Jr. Jr." - Made for Streaming & Gaming on the Go - XTIA XPROTO-Mini

mschelseabytes

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 5, 2022
Hello Errbody! Wanted to do a quick post to go over the "baby" of all my builds called Byte Jr. Jr. This was my first time building with this particular case, but I've done other XTIA builds before (xproto, xproto-l, etc.).

This build came about because after switching to Streaming full time, I've surprisingly been traveling ALOT for different gigs. And it was hard to keep up my same stream consistency & quality using a laptop from the hotels I would stay at. So I wanted a build that I could bring with me (alongside all my other streaming gear) and it could handle my normal streaming overhead. So the main focus of this post is the Byte Jr. Jr. itself, but I'll also include some pictures of my Travel Streaming Setup called "The To-Go Box" so you can see where the XPROTO-Mini fits in! It's meant to be carried on the plane as apart of the full Travel setup as I don't trust TSA lol.

Since building this I've used it frequently. I've taken it on about 8-9 trips by plane, and streamed with it from various hotels. So far it hasn't had any issues. The build process was a bit annoying with the number of screws and there were some steps in the instructions that were clearly lost in translation. There were also a couple of moments where if you put the screw in the wrong location, you would have a hard time fitting another part (see the Build video at 7:51). But after building this one over and over again (for multiple takes of the Build video below), I've gotten the build time down from 4.5 hours to around 1 - 1.5 hours, so perfect for a stream.

There are some modifications I'd like to do to the build (different motherboard, maybe different fan, etc.) as I plan on building this again really soon to give a version of this away to my community. We like doing live PC builds and then giving them away to a viewer at the end of the stream, and the 1 - 1.5 hour build time will be perfect for that.

Pictures will be at the imgur link and at the end!

Useful Links:
Notes:
  • Didn't get the PCIe 4.0 Riser since it was sold out at the time. But annoyance of setting the slot to PCIe Gen 3 on the first boot is enough for me to want to buy it next time
  • I love how clean it looks with the "Mesh-U-Shell" but the shell is sharp so be careful attaching it to the case.
  • The HANDLE IS THE #1 BEST PART OF THIS CASE! I feel like I'm walking around with my GameCube again.
Build Goals:
  • Small enough to fit alongside other streaming gear in Pelican 1510
  • Portable by itself outside of the "To-Go Box" Pelican case
  • Enough power to allow Streaming & Gaming without hiccups
  • No need to do any "extra" optimization (overclock, undervolt, etc.)
  • Uses a 3000 series GPU and DDR5 (community-driven need)
  • As Square as possible (this is a personal need lol)
Specs
  • LxWxH: 220x160x217 mm
  • Max Temps CPU (IDLE | LOAD): 39C | 88C
  • Max Fan CPU (IDLE | LOAD): 1539 RPM | 2343 RPM
  • Max Temps GPU (IDLE | LOAD): 46C | 79C
  • Max Fan GPU (IDLE | LOAD): 0 RPM | 2580 RPM
  • Max Noise: 40 - 42db
  • Cinebench (Single | Multi Core): 1935 pts | 19819 pts
  • 3DMark Timespy (Total, Graphics, CPU): 9291 | 8558 | 18068
Parts
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 32 GB DDR5-6000 CL36
  • DISK: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVME
  • FAN: Noctua NH-L9i-17xx chromax.black
  • MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI ITX
  • PSU: FSP FX500G 500W Flex ATX
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB XC GAMING
  • CASE: XTIA XPROTO-Mini
  • EXTRA: PCIE-Riser XTIA PCI-E 3.0
  • EXTRA: XTIA Short Antenna
Favorite Images:

1. Without the Mesh Shell

2. iPhone 13 for scale

3. GPU Side

4. Oooo weee CPU side with the Mesh Shell

5. Side View with the USB Port covers

6. Human (Me) For Scale. AND THE ADORABLE HANDLE!!!

7. Travel Streaming Setup (To-Go Box) Fully Closed Up

8. Travel Streaming Setup (To-Go Box) Fully Opened

9. Travel Streaming Setup (To-Go Box) Peak Inside

10. Travel Streaming Setup (To-Go Box) Everything Removed

11. Travel Streaming Setup (To-Go Box) Everything Laid out

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Nice clean build!
Really digging the XProto-mini with the mesh shell!

Looking at it for my next build, although I still have worries about the flex PSU.
Is the FSP FX500G silent enough not to interfere while you are streaming?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I came into this thinking "wait, an Xproto for travel?" Didn't know about the mesh shells. That is an excellent build, and that to-go-box is one hell of a package. Well done!

mschelseabytes

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 5, 2022
Nice clean build!
Really digging the XProto-mini with the mesh shell!

Looking at it for my next build, although I still have worries about the flex PSU.
Is the FSP FX500G silent enough not to interfere while you are streaming?
It's definitely not silent as you mention haha, but it is quiet enough to not be picked up by the mics I use. If I'm traveling with the Travel Kit then I'm using a lapel RODE mic...which doesn't pick up too much beyond half a foot. And then if I'm bringing a more involved setup, I usually have an RE20 or SM7B... both of which cut out sound pretty well anyway. So no issues for me there!

The power draw is a bit close for comfort (500W PSU at peak power draw of 407W), but it works. I'd probably opt for the bigger flex PSU next time. It seems quieter too.

Reactions: BaK

mschelseabytes

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 5, 2022
I came into this thinking "wait, an Xproto for travel?" Didn't know about the mesh shells. That is an excellent build, and that to-go-box is one hell of a package. Well done!
The Mesh Shield definitely helps with Travel, though I did notice an increase of 6C in CPU temps on average so that's something to think about. But DAM if it doesn't look clean af lol

Reactions: BaK and Valantar

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
It's definitely not silent as you mention haha, but it is quiet enough to not be picked up by the mics I use.
Thanks for your feedback!
As you said a beefier Flex PSU could be an option to keep it quieter.
But I'm of course tempted to put a 12V MeanWell PSU into the XProto-mini instead! Will see...

bobbyjohnny

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 28, 2022
First off—great build! I love the Xproto Mini with the mesh. Wish XTIA would do a mesh module for the XProto. Is that the stock fan size on the NH-L9i-17xx?

mschelseabytes

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 5, 2022
First off—great build! I love the Xproto Mini with the mesh. Wish XTIA would do a mesh module for the XProto. Is that the stock fan size on the NH-L9i-17xx?
Yup! That's the default. I loved that it came with the 17xx bracket already, but there ARE better fans at that same size/form factor. But it seems to work OK enough at the moment.