Power Supply HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
But it looks like the CPU connector is using the 8-pin PCIe header on your unit. Which is strange, the unit pictured on the website is what it should be.

@msystems the unit pictured on the website is a prototype, the 8-pin PCIe-type headers on your unit are the production version. So it looks like maybe you accidentally got an old version of the CPU cable.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Okay after some back and forth with Larry, actually @msystems your cable and the header pictured on the website is correct.

The CPU header on your unit is incorrect. If you somehow got it all working then great, but contact HDPLEX if it's causing problems.

Reactions: Biowarejak

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
uh oh... @royalba94 might have to change those custom cpu cables to PCIE header XD

Noted. I'll be sure to follow up with everyone who as ordered a set to A) let them know that this may or may not be an issue for them and B) Ensure that I make the CPU cable and PCIe cables with the correct connector for their unit.

It's kinda unfortunate that both of the 8pin headers were switched to PCIe keying as in the product photo on the website it shows both as CPU keying (just like the 300w version) so I stocked up on the CPU keyed connectors :|

@Aibohphobia, do you know if the real version is supposed to have 1x PCIe and 1x CPU keyed headers or if both are supposed to be the CPU keying as shown on HDPlex's website?

EDIT: and @msystems could we get pics of the stock cables and their connectors? you made it sound like the PCIe cable had the PCIe keying on both ends of the cable so I am curious. thx for the other pics tho :)

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
EDIT: and @msystems could we get pics of the stock cables and their connectors? you made it sound like the PCIe cable had the PCIe keying on both ends of the cable so I am curious. thx for the other pics tho :)

No idea.. but here is a picture of the PCIe cable. The right one is for the connector header, the left ones are the 6+2.

Last edited:

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
I think the issue here is just HDPlex mixing up the headers ON the pcb of the psu. They soldered a pcie header instead of a cpu header on the cpu plug, so now we either wait for a recall, order custom cables with a cpu header changed to pcie, or wait for whatever solution larry has to offer that doesnt involve pushing in the cables by force XD

So far it seems like this is gonna happen with every unit...

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I just pushed the cable in, a little snug but it works. I really don't care at this point because it works and I don't think it causes any damage to the pins or board. I can see that it could still cause a big problem for people opening the box and hooking up their system incorrectly like I did. And yeah, obviously everyone this affects should be sent a correct cable if they need it.

Also I have tested the unit, but only up to 250 watts. Good news, the noise is nearly inaudible. It's a high frequency, smooth pitch. I'm not even 100% sure I was hearing the right thing :) so yes, it is quite silent.

In terms of my system right now, which is passive, the graphics card VRM is much louder than anything else, the CPU area is second loudest, and then this unit is in 3rd, and even then it is only audible from less than a foot. Basically, it's silent and I can't see how it could end up being the loudest component. I could make a video if you want a comparison of these three sounds.

Last edited:

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
I just pushed the cable in, a little snug but it works. I really don't care at this point because it works and I don't think it causes any damage to the pins or board. I can see that it could still cause a big problem for people opening the box and hooking up their system incorrectly like I did. And yeah, obviously everyone this affects should be sent a correct cable if they need it.

Also I have tested the unit, but only up to 250 watts. Good news, the noise is nearly inaudible. It's a high frequency, smooth pitch. I'm not even 100% sure I was hearing the right thing :) so yes, it is quite silent.

In terms of my system right now, which is passive, the graphics card VRM is much louder than anything else, the CPU area is second loudest, and then this unit is in 3rd, and even then it is only audible from less than a foot. Basically, it's silent and I can't see how it could end up being the loudest component. I could make a video if you want a comparison of these three sounds.
Id love anything at this point, pictures vids you name it. Anything to help me wait while mine gets here haha

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017

Well one thing that is kind of cool, is that this unit is easy to lay flat or on it's side, and there's no worry about exposed PCB when moving it around to whatever orientation works best.

Initially I had it laying flat in the case, but on the side, I noticed that the headers will just clear the AC-DC unit like this:

So that's pretty cool.

Also the specs say it is 30mm thick, but that's not entirely true.... because most of it is only 25mm thick :) on the heatsink parts.
Useful if you can figure out a way to use this to your advantage.

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
Initially I had it laying flat in the case, but on the side, I noticed that the headers will just clear the AC-DC unit like this:

This is very interesting and very space saving! :p
You said almost no noise could be heard from the PSU. I know it's hard to distinguish the origin of the sound, as you said, but do you think the sound was coming from the AC-DC or the DC-DC?

0x90

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 18, 2017
Here are some macro shots of the PCIe and EPS/ATX headers on the DC-ATX, and the EPS/ATX cable connectors:

Regarding performance, I assembled the machine on my desk and ran some tests over the weekend. I am using the same hdplex 300W/400W setup as shown above by msystems; as I mentioned previously, I am using it to run an x99e-itx/ac with e5-2697 v3 (14 core, 2.6/3.6GHz, 145W TDP), using a Dynatron T318 with a Noctua NF-A9x14 (using Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound), a Quadro P1000 (47W TDP), and a Samsung NVMe 960 Pro M.2.

I don't know the actual current draw, but it appears to be completely stable in preliminary testing with Prime95 and Maxwell Render. Regarding coil whine, if I put my ear directly to the DC-ATX unit I can hear the faintest sound, but I have to get within a couple of centimeters; otherwise I hear nothing (read: had it not been mentioned, it would not have occurred to me to check this).

By the way, this 92mm Noctua does around 5-7°C better than the new (120mm) NF-A12x15 on the T318, I assume due to being more closely-matched in size, and having a smaller center hub; it keeps temps below 80° (23° ambient) in all but the Prime96 "Small FFTs" test, which can push temps up to 90° (with between 12 and 14 cores throttling from a steady 3.0GHz down to between 2.6 and 2.9 at any given time).

I hope someone finds this information useful -- I'm very happy so far with this PSU setup.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Here are some macro shots of the PCIe and EPS/ATX headers on the DC-ATX, and the EPS/ATX cable connectors:

Regarding performance, I assembled the machine on my desk and ran some tests over the weekend. I am using the same hdplex 300W/400W setup as shown above by msystems; as I mentioned previously, I am using it to run an x99e-itx/ac with e5-2697 v3 (14 core, 2.6/3.6GHz, 145W TDP), using a Dynatron T318 with a Noctua NF-A9x14 (using Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound), a Quadro P1000 (47W TDP), and a Samsung NVMe 960 Pro M.2.

I don't know the actual current draw, but it appears to be completely stable in preliminary testing with Prime95 and Maxwell Render. Regarding coil whine, if I put my ear directly to the DC-ATX unit I can hear the faintest sound, but I have to get within a couple of centimeters; otherwise I hear nothing (read: had it not been mentioned, it would not have occurred to me to check this).

By the way, this 92mm Noctua does around 5-7°C better than the new (120mm) NF-A12x15 on the T318, I assume due to being more closely-matched in size, and having a smaller center hub; it keeps temps below 80° (23° ambient) in all but the Prime96 "Small FFTs" test, which can push temps up to 90° (with between 12 and 14 cores throttling from a steady 3.0GHz down to between 2.6 and 2.9 at any given time).

I hope someone finds this information useful -- I'm very happy so far with this PSU setup.

So you were able to shove the cable in without much issue?