Power Supply HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Another Canadian checking in. No news here yet either. Very excited.

Your story sounds familiar. I also put in a stock inquiry in April, was provided with a May date. It came and went with no notice, then a new product was announced.

I don't share your concerns with the shipping date however. The site said the stock would arrive at the USA and Germany locations on the 25th. A quick check of the "global shipping" page revealed that those 2 locations are warehouses from which our orders are sent out. No where did it say that the eta for arrival at my home would be on the 25th. I support their decision not to provide an eta for arrival at the customer's homes because there were too many unknown factors out of their control.

I didn't expect it to arrive by the 25th. I expected it to be shipped shortly after stock arrived.

My issue is that it's nearly two weeks after that stock was supposed to arrive and I haven't heard a thing from them. People who preordered after me, and whose orders are being shipped from the same warehouse as mine will ship from are receiving shipping confirmations.

If I'd preordered late, or my order was going to ship from somewhere that hasn't recieved stock yet I would understand. However clearly the warehouse nearest me has stock, and later preordsrs have shipping confirmations already.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
People who preordered after me, and whose orders are being shipped from the same warehouse as mine will ship from are receiving shipping confirmations.

That's not how it works though, fulfillment centers batch out by region and it appears that they haven't gotten to the Canadian orders yet.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
Will the hdplex400 be a one time thing (first come, first serve) or will it be in stock for a long time?

Dont want to miss out on this if there will be only one batch of those psu's

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
Will the hdplex400 be a one time thing (first come, first serve) or will it be in stock for a long time?

Dont want to miss out on this if there will be only one batch of those psu's
The 400 replaced the 300 which had been for sale for a while. I do not think this will be a one off batch, I'm 99% sure there will be re-stocked supplies after the initial launch.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Last I spoke to Larry, I believe he considers this to be the final revision on the unit for a while.

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
I didn't expect it to arrive by the 25th. I expected it to be shipped shortly after stock arrived.

My issue is that it's nearly two weeks after that stock was supposed to arrive and I haven't heard a thing from them. People who preordered after me, and whose orders are being shipped from the same warehouse as mine will ship from are receiving shipping confirmations.

If I'd preordered late, or my order was going to ship from somewhere that hasn't recieved stock yet I would understand. However clearly the warehouse nearest me has stock, and later preordsrs have shipping confirmations already.
Nothing has shipped anyway lol we just got tracking info, but hdplex hasnt even dropped the units in the mail. Itll ship when it ships. Im in no rush when Im buying something THIS niche.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Mine is due to arrive tomorrow.. ill post some pics when I get home. So they are shipping them out. I ordered it on May 19.

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Mine is due to arrive tomorrow.. ill post some pics when I get home. So they are shipping them out. I ordered it on May 19.

That doesnt sound like a 400w unit... if I remember correctly didnt preorders open june 6?...

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Yeah mine is still pending pickup, so no ETA yet. No big deal though, not much point to it till I get my S4 mini anyway.

Reactions: Charles

0x90

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 18, 2017
Hey all, here's my first post... been waiting for this PSU to arrive (Minnesota, US) since 24 April...

This will be powering a portable dev machine, x99e-itx/ac, e5-2697v3, quadro p1000, in a very small case (which I will have to make). Wish me luck. :)

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I know hdplex apparently makes good stuff but overall have to say I'm very unimpressed with the service.

In early april I emailed inquiring about when they'd have the 300w back in stock and was told 'next month'. April and then May came and went no update, no stock, but a newer model is listed which I can preorder. So i preorder the day preorders open. Then the ship date for the preorder comes and goes, and for days the website still says expected stock for the 25th even though the 25th had past. Now they are finally shipping them in July, and people who preordered after me are getting shipping notifications while they haven't even bothered to contact me and say my order will ship late.

If you miss the estimated ship date how hard is it to send a mass email? Now the first thing I hear, well after my preorder should have shipped, is word of mouth that others are getting theirs shipped while people like me who should be at the top of the list still havent recieved any contact whatsoever. I should've been one of the first in line. Not only have I been inexplicably bumped down the queue, they won't even tell me there's a delay nearly 2 weeks after my order should have shipped. Wtf...

I have been seeing this a lot lately also with cases as well. I think it is good to remember that the SFF community is still small and most of the operations are one man or small teams offering a product that no one else does. Especially since big players (corsair, evga) won't even consider it because of the profit margin. I think we all should have some patience when it comes to these things since none of these individuals have paid customer service personnel to handle everyone inquiries. So i am sure while Larry would love to answer everyone's questions he is probably preoccupied with getting orders out which I personally would rather have him doing that than spending his day on emails. If you new to the community it is not unexpected to see delays is actually quite common especially when it is a new product. The people who design the product do it because they love it or have enthusiasm in it so they would never want to release a poor substitute.

In the end if you not happy get a refund and buy another product. Otherwise i think you should acquire some patience.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
In the end if you not happy get a refund and buy another product. Otherwise i think you should acquire some patience.

-snip- Much like Josh and the NFC S4 mini, Larry is one guy running a company as a side job because he is passionate DC-DC power supplies. Perhaps not everyone here is aware of this -snip-

Last edited by a moderator:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
As promised, here are a few pics!

Also... I am not a smart man.
Apparently I plugged the PCIe cable into the CPU plug, and my system wouldn't start up. The unit just made a buzzing sound (thankfully... I believe that was the short protection).

I couldn't believe I f'ed up that badly... but I realized later that I only did that because the supplied CPU cable, (which I had picked up in my hand first) didn't really want to go in. So without thinking much about it, I put it back in the box and picked up the PCIe cable, and that cable did go in. I didn't give it a second thought.

I'm no expert on this... so i'll just let the pictures show and you can decide:

This is the CPU plug:

And this is the PSU side of the 4+4 CPU Cable:

Anyway, after realizing that, everything booted up no problem.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Apparently I plugged the PCIe cable into the CPU plug, and my system wouldn't start up. The unit just made a buzzing sound (thankfully... I believe that was the short protection).

The pinout on the PSU side is the same according to the diagram on the website, other than one of the 12V pins on the CPU header isn't live on the PCIe header.

I'm no expert on this... so i'll just let the pictures show and you can decide:

But it looks like the CPU connector is using the 8-pin PCIe header on your unit. Which is strange, the unit pictured on the website is what it should be. I'll ping Larry and let him know.

Last edited:

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017

-"A whole 80 something dollars" works out to about $115 Canadian. -snip- it isn't an insignificant amount to me or to most people.

- I didn't expect my "needs/wants met immediately", it was a pre-order. What I expect is that if I pay for a pre-order and they provide a date for when they expect to have it in stock, that my order should ship near that date. If for some reason they aren't able to ship it near that time that's fine, but a simple 1-2 sentence email saying you are still working on it goes a long way, takes less than a minute to write, and can be sent to everyone whose order is delayed at the same time.

- I don't believe my money or my project are more important than others. I never said anything remotely close to that. What I think is that if 50 people go into the same coffee shop and order the same thing, then the first 10 in line should get their coffee before the last 10 who didn't show up until significantly later.

-Maybe in your private communications with him the 25th was mentioned as an "optimistic" date that he was going to post on his website as a "courtesy". I wasn't a part of any such conversation, I just saw the ETA listed on the product page as the 25th. There wasn't any elaboration on that date saying it was an ambitious goal and he would try his best to meet it. It was the ETA and nothing more, so I'm not sure why I should have interpreted it as optimistic or... as a courtesy.

-snip-

Mod-break: no need to switch the conversation to be emotionally charged and agressive. Please refrain from doing so.

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Ive already said this before and Ill write it again. When asked when units would ship on thursday june 29 larry wrote "this weekend to next weekend". So he has til tomorrow or monday on his own specifications. Either wait it out til monday or take it up to paypal. Complaining in this forum wont really make things go faster.

IMO, waiting another week wont kill me so Im not that bothered.

Reactions: DocH and Biowarejak

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
"A whole 80 something dollars" works out to about $115 Canadian. -snip- but it isn't an insignificant amount to me or to most people.

-snip-
-snip-

That being said, I also don't think that for most people eighty dollars constitutes a completely major purchase either - especially when compared to the overall cost of the PC build this is presumably going into. Perhaps I have a misconception that with successively larger purchases (i.e. home appliances, a vehicle, etc.) from established corporations the expectation of delivering on something like an anticipated release date should reasonably increase. Conversely it seems logical to me that a relatively modest purchase from a small business run by a valued member of our own community can understandably be more susceptible to hiccups and perhaps said small business owner could face less harsh criticism as a result.

I didn't expect my "needs/wants met immediately", it was a pre-order. What I expect is that if I pay for a pre-order and they provide a date for when they expect to have it in stock, that my order should ship near that date. If for some reason they aren't able to ship it near that time that's fine, but a simple 1-2 sentence email saying you are still working on it goes a long way, takes less than a minute to write, and can be sent to everyone whose order is delayed at the same time.

While I agree that a short email would be nice and would hope to receive one myself were I to enquire about the unit I've pre-ordered, I am also willing to cut Larry some slack knowing he is a one man operation running HDPlex on his evenings and weekends. Perhaps you weren't privy to this fact (in which case this is completely my fault for assuming), but this is more or less common knowledge amongst the community here. Presumably Larry is receiving dozens of emails wondering why things haven't been shipped yet as well as providing support to existing clients and dealing with larger clients in other capacities. I'm sure he's just picking his battles due to limited time and energy. Of the three, I think supporting existing product owners and dealing with larger projects ends up being the better investment of limited resources.

I don't believe my money or my project are more important than others. I never said anything remotely close to that. What I think is that if 50 people go into the same coffee shop and order the same thing, then the first 10 in line should get their coffee before the last 10 who didn't show up until significantly later.

I completely agree with this on a logical level and were shipping being handled by Larry personally on a item by item basis I am sure this is how it would happen. Reality is that large batches of units will be managed by a logistics company and they will no doubt do order fulfilment in a sequence that best suits their profitability while still getting units out in a reasonable amount of time. I betcha Canada is really far down that list 'cause Canada (I am Canadian too, just so you don't take offence).

Maybe in your private communications with him the 25th was mentioned as an "optimistic" date that he was going to post on his website as a "courtesy". I wasn't a part of any such conversation, I just saw the ETA listed on the product page as the 25th. There wasn't any elaboration on that date saying it was an ambitious goal and he would try his best to meet it. It was the ETA and nothing more, so I'm not sure why I should have interpreted it as optimistic or... as a courtesy.

Pretty sure the official website literally said ETA June 25th. Unless I am mistaken that means that the Estimated Time of Arrival is June 25th and that by definition an ETA is not firm. Also he didn't relay to me in any communications that providing an ETA was a courtesy, I am merely inferring that providing an ETA is a courtesy rather than completely leaving your customer base in the dark.

All I said is that I don't plan to take pre-orders nor provide a warehouse arrival date that can apparently be misconstrued as a "start shipping date" or "arrive on my doorstep date" so I don't have to be trashed in public for failing to meet some random dude's expectations. Once I have my units in warehouse, ready to ship I will open orders and then proceed to provide the best service I can to my clients while juggling a full time job and three young children. Hopefully people won't get too miffed if I get behind on emails from time to time.

The other thing worth considering is that perhaps your unit has shipped and it's just stuck in godawful customs limbo?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Mod-break:

I'd like to remind everyone to keep it civil. We like to keep our forum peaceful and an intellectually focussed discussion board. If there are disputes, the first step should always be to try to get an answer from the seller/buyer first. Even if that doesn't solve the question, you can always state the question properly in this forum publically. There was no need to start personally attacking here. Don't forget the internet isn't a medium where intention and emotion are hard to gauge, and answering suspected agressive behavior with more agressive behavior will only result in stress and us intervening.