Power Supply HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Well I'm hoping to run a Ryzen 7, and I'm guessing an RX 570 (RIP Vega Nano dreams... haha)

I'd also just like to have the flexibility to run more in other cases.
Let me plug you into this video if you haven't seen it:
Somewhat same build (1060 instead of RX570) but using only a 160 watt HDPlex. Even with reviews I have seen of the RX570, total system consumption hasn't gone above ~290 watts with an extreme intel CPU. I wouldn't be bothered with trying to rig up a meanwell, and would personally just get a Dell brick instead.

Reactions: Tek Everything

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
I am happy to report that there is NO coil whine with my new HDPLEX400. Previously on the 300w version I would get nasty coil whine when playing games...especially GTA 5. (i5 6500 + 1070). This new model has eliminated it. Very happy with this purchase. If anyone had issues with coil whine before, I recommend picking up a new unit.

Reactions: Biowarejak

TheDunadan

Case Bender
New User
Mar 24, 2017
I just got mine in the mail. Quick question:

When I plug in my AC adapter there's a blue LED on the HDPlex that turns on. When I boot my PC the blue LED turns off and an orange LED turns on. Does the orange light signal a problem, or does orange/blue just correspond with on/off?

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
I just got mine in the mail. Quick question:

When I plug in my AC adapter there's a blue LED on the HDPlex that turns on. When I boot my PC the blue LED turns off and an orange LED turns on. Does the orange light signal a problem, or does orange/blue just correspond with on/off?
Mine does the same thing. I think it might be normal? I got mine today and hooked it up to my system, and have run into an issue.

When I play a game and crank up the AA, the whole system shuts down. On the plus side, there is very little coil whine from both my GTX 1080 mini and the HDPlex 400, and the headers for the CPU and PCIE plugs seem correct. I went ahead and recorded a video of the phenomenon below. Not sure what I should do at this point, I could try to obtain another dell 330 watt brick, or contact Larry to see if this is normal. My specs are below:

i5 4670k
2 x 4GB of DDR3 Corsair Ram
Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
2 x Crucial MX200 500GB SSDs

Video:

EDIT: Spoke with Larry, quick response as always. I have decided to try another brick first, then see if an HDPlex replacement is in order.

Last edited:
Reactions: royalba94

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Got my unit! Headers seem to be the right ones (Hooray @royalba94 !)
Some pics:
The Unit:

The PCIE Header:

The CPU header:

My only complaint would be that I have no idea how the SFX bracket will be mounted. It only brought screws but the metal 7.5mmX5.0mm plate needs washers to be mounted to the bracket I think, and it didnt bring those. Other than that, its pretty hefty for its size lol

EDIT: After tons of consideration, I superglued the plate into the bracket lol. Now its forever there.

SECOND EDIT: Had to thread the bracket screw holes too. Do it patiently or else youll ruin 'em :(

Last edited:
Reactions: royalba94

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I got mine yesterday and plugged it in my S4 mini. Ran through some firestrike and timespy benchmarks. Saw a minor boost in scores not sure why (like 40 points) but no coil whine. I haven't looked at the plug everything fit fine and works. I also haven't checked for a light, but i have zero issues.

Build: i7 7700k, GTX 1080, pulls around 280w max during the benchmarks.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Saw a minor boost in scores not sure why (like 40 points) but no coil whine.

Seeing things like this and then Jayztwocents' video on one daisy chained vs. two PCIe connectors makes me think that the quality of power delivery is a significant contributor to performance that is often overlooked.

Reactions: Biowarejak

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Mine does the same thing. I think it might be normal? I got mine today and hooked it up to my system, and have run into an issue.

When I play a game and crank up the AA, the whole system shuts down. On the plus side, there is very little coil whine from both my GTX 1080 mini and the HDPlex 400, and the headers for the CPU and PCIE plugs seem correct. I went ahead and recorded a video of the phenomenon below. Not sure what I should do at this point, I could try to obtain another dell 330 watt brick, or contact Larry to see if this is normal. My specs are below:

i5 4670k
2 x 4GB of DDR3 Corsair Ram
Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
2 x Crucial MX200 500GB SSDs

Video:

EDIT: Spoke with Larry, quick response as always. I have decided to try another brick first, then see if an HDPlex replacement is in order.
It reminds me similar issues with my r9 nano. Most probably issue is linked to high power peak (500w) while using aa.

Solution is most probably to change power brick to something that can provides 500w

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
I got mine yesterday and plugged it in my S4 mini. Ran through some firestrike and timespy benchmarks. Saw a minor boost in scores not sure why (like 40 points) but no coil whine. I haven't looked at the plug everything fit fine and works. I also haven't checked for a light, but i have zero issues.

Build: i7 7700k, GTX 1080, pulls around 280w max during the benchmarks.

Can you try games like Fallout 4 or WoW with settings maxed out?
EDIT: at a resolution of 2560x1440?

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Can you try games like Fallout 4 or WoW with settings maxed out?
Sorry i don't have either of those games. Overwatch maxed out with no issues. What were you looking for? Usually benchmarks are better for the type of performance you are looking for. It scored the same as a 4k gaming pc on firestrike and timespy.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Sorry i don't have either of those games. Overwatch maxed out with no issues. What were you looking for? Usually benchmarks are better for the type of performance you are looking for. It scored the same as a 4k gaming pc on firestrike and timespy.

I guess I was looking for a game that could do heavy AA and post processing, Overwatch is a pretty light workload. I guess I should have tried firestrike specifically to see if my unit would crash then... I might try it today.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I guess I was looking for a game that could do heavy AA and post processing, Overwatch is a pretty light workload. I guess I should have tried firestrike specifically to see if my unit would crash then... I might try it today.
Also note i am using an HP voodoo 350w brick. That may play a role. I tried a dell brick a long time ago with the 300w and had issues.

Last edited:

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
Just received mine yesterday, planning on using it in the Sentry whenever it arrives with a dell 300w brick.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Also note i am using an HP voodoo 350w brick. That may play a role. I tried a dell brick a long time ago with the 300w and had issues.
This 350w brick is the key point.

Based on my personal experience and josh one on r9 nano, you need to face power peak :

Best solution for you is to lower power limit of your gtx 1080

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
This 350w brick is the key point.

Based on my personal experience and josh one on r9 nano, you need to face power peak :

Best solution for you is to lower power limit of your gtx 1080
Interesting... maybe I will try to bring it down to 90%. I also think because I have an older i5, that my power usage there is also high. Looking at some peak power usage graphs for my 4670k, it seems it is a good bit less power efficient than even the 7700k. That could also be causing some issues.