Power Supply HDPLEX 300 and my new riser

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Awesome write up and pictures, thank you Josh for answering all those questions! I'm so glad I preordered my 300W HDPlex, it's already shipped and is on it's way!

I can't wait for the last 2 parts of my S4-mini build to be released and shipped (ASUS z270i & ZOTAC 1080 mini). Those 2 and the S4 mini itself should ship at around the same time, I'm so HYPED for late Feb/March! =) The wait is killing me as every day goes by... But the prospect of potentially having one of, if not the most powerful S4 mini/PC build in a 4.3L case will be such a treat for years to come as I carry it around to friends houses for game/movie nights. :D

Stealth EDIT: turns out my HDPLEX came in today while I was typing this! :D My pic isn't as neat as Josh's but everything he described is there, neatly packed inside that box, the HDplex is even more safety packed in a smaller box, then it's inside that anti-static bag. :) Now to wait for the rest of the parts!

My only gripe is that the 24-pin cable seems to be sleeved in multicolos though and it is quite long. I'd really honestly like to have the 24-pin be in all black, with the length of 2 inches like Josh pointed out in his custom cable length measurement.

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Sorry for the 2nd post, but here's something I tried out today.

So I vinyl dyed the yellow DC-DC cables in black with VHT Vinyl dye, I used some gaffer's tape on the ends of the cable, and it turned out okay with a little overspray:

The cable matches the other black ones nicely, it's only slightly shinier than the other black cables (if you really look for it).
So far the result was okay for my first time using vinyl dye spray. Protip: wear gloves, that stuff is not easy to get off your fingers... XD

Reactions: Phuncz and Ceros_X

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I thought about doing that (although I'd have done something like rattle can lol), glad to I'm not the only one. Looks good!

That or RIT dye, maybe.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That new riser looks real nice and clean, improves the build layout a lot. I also like the NFC logo on the cable, small touches like that add a bit more 'official' to it!

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com
Dude, this rocks! I've not even mounted my 250W HDPLEX and I'm already jelly of this new 300W version. The new 24PIN placement will make for a mighty short (modified) 24pin cable!

Hope we can buy the riser direct, put my name on the waiting list buddy. :)

J.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Light-up logo looks sweet. Great way to advertise your product for when people are posting pictures of their builds with your PSUs.
Sorry for the 2nd post, but here's something I tried out today.

So I vinyl dyed the yellow DC-DC cables in black with VHT Vinyl dye, I used some gaffer's tape on the ends of the cable, and it turned out okay with a little overspray:

The cable matches the other black ones nicely, it's only slightly shinier than the other black cables (if you really look for it).
So far the result was okay for my first time using vinyl dye spray. Protip: wear gloves, that stuff is not easy to get off your fingers... XD

I'm planning on replacing the yellow and other non-black wires with some silver stranded wire (it's actually copper with silver-colored plating and clear insulation). I did this already for the 8-pin CPU connector, still works like a charm.

The power cables will need to be de-soldered at the PCB ends. I have a cheapo Radio Shack soldering iron that I've used in the past for some old turntable LED and wiring mods. So I'm confident in using it for these wire swaps.

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Haha, I was thinking of that exact song when I wrote that :p

@Josh | NFC are there threaded holes on the bottom of the heatsink that can be used to mount the 300W DC-ATX?

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I wonder, is this 300W unit better suited for weird cards like the R9 Nano or the RX 480? Or is that still a general problem?
Did you happen to have done testing on that @Josh | NFC or @hdplex ?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I wonder, is this 300W unit better suited for weird cards like the R9 Nano or the RX 480? Or is that still a general problem?
Did you happen to have done testing on that @Josh | NFC or @hdplex ?

QuinX, you're alive! Good to hear from you!

But I need to remind you...the first rule about the R9 Nano for SFF club is that we don't talk about the R9 Nano for SFF. ;)

As far as the 480 goes I never had a problem with the HDPLEX 250. I ran one 480 off a 1.3 HDPLEX for about a week on my gaming rig until I got a new PSU in so I could crossfire them. So I wasn't aware I needed to test it...especially considering the length, heat output, and non-nonsensical power draw for SFF.

It does sting a bit, being an AMD fan but heavily promoting Nvidia GPUs because AMD doesn't have cards that make sense for SFF yet.

Kinda off-topic, but I've been meaning to ask you about what I should purchase for a linear DC power supply that doesn't break the bank but is suited for our hobby?

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
QuinX, you're alive! Good to hear from you!

But I need to remind you...the first rule about the R9 Nano for SFF club is that we don't talk about the R9 Nano for SFF. ;)

As far as the 480 goes I never had a problem with the HDPLEX 250. I ran one 480 off a 1.3 HDPLEX for about a week on my gaming rig until I got a new PSU in so I could crossfire them. So I wasn't aware I needed to test it...especially considering the length, heat output, and non-nonsensical power draw for SFF.

It does sting a bit, being an AMD fan but heavily promoting Nvidia GPUs because AMD doesn't have cards that make sense for SFF yet.

Kinda off-topic, but I've been meaning to ask you about what I should purchase for a linear DC power supply that doesn't break the bank but is suited for our hobby?

I've returned into my natural habitat of lurking and posting long replies and then deciding it's not worth posting said long replies.

No need to do testing if it's not relevant for you, but it would be nice to know if "it" works with the HDPLEX 300, since if "it" works, basically any sensible GPU known to man would work.

I'm crossing fingers for a RX Nano based on Vega. Hopefully that is a fairly simple redesign in terms of PCB layout and cooler design for AMD.

I've no real knowledge to share on a linear DC power supply, I've always used switching power supplies.
Do you want to use it to power a PC or more of a bench power supply?