Power Supply HDPLEX 300 and my new riser

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
If you don't mind fiddling yourself to get something up and running I personally would go for something like a Meanwell RSP 24V or SPV 24V power supply.

For example I have a RSP-1000-24 unit in my drawer and when the problem with "it" came up in order to test if it was the HDPLEX 250 at fault or the DC adapter, I used the RSP-1000-24 to test the setup with 12V, 19V and 24V to see if that would cause the system to crash and it didn't.

Simply put the RSP and SPV series from Meanwell can be controlled by an analog 0V-5V signal, so you can go as simple as just a trimmer pot and measuring with a multimeter to get your desired voltage or go ham and automate it using something like and Arduino.

Something like the SPV-300 or the RSP-750-24 should cover most of your needs in terms of voltage and current I'd presume
SPV-300 could be had around $70 I think
RSP-750

Another option, that I had at my previous job, is a regular lab power supply.
I thought the one I used was relatively cheap but now I see it was €400 :eek:, makes sense I guess since it did 32V - 30A
Peaktech 1580
Here's a downgraded version at only €175 -_-
You can get others that are much cheaper, but I can't vouch for the quality

I hope that can point you somewhat in a direction. If you have specific question about the meanwell solution feel free to ask.
With the lab power supply I can't offer much more insight.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey @Josh | NFC , in our emails a few weeks ago (I think two) you mentioned I got put on the waiting list for an aluminum Mini. When I get to properly order that case, could I also order one of these HDPLEX 300's and the riser card at the same time? Is there a price for the power supplies you'll be (re?)selling yet?

I have the PicoPSU 160, but I don't think it'd be smart to run my 4790K and a 1060 off of it even if I can undervolt the K down crazy, like to 35W.

Zerofool

Caliper Novice
Nov 23, 2015
I was wondering if the HDPLEX 300W DC-ATX unit has been improved compared to the 250W model (rev 1.4) in terms of coil whine/buzzing during load. Does anyone have any observations? Josh?

Shaun

Chassis Packer
Apr 23, 2016
I was wondering if the HDPLEX 300W DC-ATX unit has been improved compared to the 250W model (rev 1.4) in terms of coil whine/buzzing during load. Does anyone have any observations? Josh?

From my initial testing the new 300W model has no coil whine that I can discern. However electrical buzzing is still present, but very soft and definitely not noticeable around 30+ CM away. I'm very particular about electrical noise and have bothered Larry multiple times about this issue in the previous models, so I am pretty happy that the new 300W models have improved significantly.

Just to clarify, electrical buzz isn't an affliction unique to the HDPlex. I've come across multiple instances of motherboards and GPUs having electrical buzz, regardless of price or vendor. A good way to pin point where the buzz is coming from is to use a short rubber hose (I used the ones I had laying around for watercooling), placing one end in your ear and the other end combing the electrical components for the source of the buzz.

Cheers
Shaun

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
A good way to pin point where the buzz is coming from is to use a short rubber hose (I used the ones I had laying around for watercooling), placing one end in your ear and the other end combing the electrical components for the source of the buzz.

That's a clever idea!

Reactions: ricochet

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hey @Josh | NFC , in our emails a few weeks ago (I think two) you mentioned I got put on the waiting list for an aluminum Mini. When I get to properly order that case, could I also order one of these HDPLEX 300's and the riser card at the same time? Is there a price for the power supplies you'll be (re?)selling yet?

I have the PicoPSU 160, but I don't think it'd be smart to run my 4790K and a 1060 off of it even if I can undervolt the K down crazy, like to 35W.

I don't resell power supplies and I don't plan on it--unless I have to. Sorry for the confusion!

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Gee I sure can't wait for my HDPLEX 250 to die so I have an excuse to buy this. But the way these are built I have my doubts

The 6 pin power looks very appealing and the layout looks like it was designed strictly around the S4 Mini o_O

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Nice! Are you going to make a video on it?

I know you're running the 1050 Ti, but is there any chance you can throw a more power hungry/unstable card at the power brick for science?

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
@zovc I'm prob going to grab a 1060 and see how that goes... and yes a video overview for the uninitiated is coming.

@CubanLegend It was $33, and I hadn't seen anyone try it out yet. I figured it could be a good option for a lot of builds, and a nice secondary brick to have for myself. I will prob pick up a Dell 330 eventually, but it's 3x the price and I have no use for one at the moment.

Reactions: zovc

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
@zovc I'm prob going to grab a 1060 and see how that goes... and yes a video overview for the uninitiated is coming.

@CubanLegend It was $33, and I hadn't seen anyone try it out yet. I figured it could be a good option for a lot of builds, and a nice secondary brick to have for myself. I will prob pick up a Dell 330 eventually, but it's 3x the price and I have no use for one at the moment.
I know they're almost 100$ on Amazon, but there was a post on these forums in a thread somewhere... probably the S4 mini thread, where someone mentioned the genuine Dell330 was being sold by someone on Ebay for like 60-something $ USD. Sorry i cant find it but thats a nice price drop from the usual. :)

Reactions: Tek Everything

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
I know they're almost 100$ on Amazon, but there was a post on these forums in a thread somewhere... probably the S4 mini thread, where someone mentioned the genuine Dell330 was being sold by someone on Ebay for like 60-something $ USD. Sorry i cant find it but thats a nice price drop from the usual. :)

Yea, I have seen a couple of them on ebay. I just worry about getting a fake or dying unit like some people have.

Stumbler

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2016
Getting some cables made double checking seems exactly the same as the Silverstone, the only Difference I can see there is that the 20Pin on the 24Pin cables is a 12v where is the Silverstone its empty.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Pin 20 is the defunct -5V, which isn't used on modern PSUs.

I'll have to check mine, it may just be a dummy wire, or it doesn't actually output 12V, or both. But regardless, if you just have Pin 20 omitted on the custom cables that's fine.

Reactions: Stumbler