Power Supply HDPlex AC-DC and DC-DC combo

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
No, I just ripped the leftover bits right down to the PCB with some needle nose pliers.

Reactions: zovc

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
No, I just ripped the leftover bits right down to the PCB with some needle nose pliers.

Might be a good idea, so as to prevent a short or shock, to cover those pcb power points with a few drops of black/clear hot glue, yes?

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
HDPlex should make a small C14 to DC-in adaptor plate for SFF cases that don't have dedicated places to mount the DC-in, but have power extension cords that connect the PSU to a C14 plug mounted on the exterior, like the NCase M1, Node 202, etc.

Just a tiny plate with a hole in the middle would be very helpful for using a DC-ATX in certain cases. NCase is working on a new slim case which normally comes with a Flex ATX PSU, but would be able to accommodate the HDPlex 300W DC-ATX with a little velcro magic, but I'd have to drill a hole in it for the DC-In, which I'd really rather not do. An adapter plate to be installed in place of the C14 AC-in would be a much simpler and more elegant solution. I really think it would make a useful addition to the accessory catalog, please consider it Larry.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Kinda like this? ;)

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
No, one that only covers the C14 window in cases that use an extension cord to connect to an internal PSU. Basically like the NCase M1 version plate but with a hole in it. I actually emailed Larry about it and he let me know a plate like this exists and is included with the H1 and H5 cases, and may be included in future batches of the DC-ATX units. There's also a special instructions field in the checkout page when you order directly from HDPlex where you could request one. So my inquiry has been addressed. ;)

Oh here's an image:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
@bledha I have been using that setup as my main rig since the vid launched. I have yet to have any issues. The system has run perfectly so far (fingers crossed as always).

Gaming, editing, rendering, It handles it all no problem. I have 3 SSD's in that system as well.

When some nice mini-itx AM4 boards come out I will most likely be switching to Ryzen for productivity.

I took a look at that build video and was pretty surprised that the 160W AC power supply was able to handle that GPU and CPU together. I know that it can handle peak loads of 190W, though. Did you take any power draw measurements from the wall while gaming?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Please someone can tell me what kind of connector this in the picture are? And where I can get it? Thank you.
http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Internal-160W-AC-DC-Adapter-with-Active-PFC-and-19VDC-Output.html
I'm talking about the white connector on the red and white cables... Look in the gallery.

I don't know what the type of connector is called (interested in the name myself, too!), but the purpose of it is to allow you to switch the type of connector used to draw AC power.

stefan33

Average Stuffer
Jan 13, 2017
In fact I want to get this connector to put it in a normal cable to give direct power.
Another question: The HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX (nanoATX Series) how many millimeters is higher than a noctua NH-L9i/a ???
I have only a little space from the end of the fan and the top of the case...

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I'm wondering if a 400W or even a 500W passive brick would be possible at titanium efficiency. I know 330W is the highest capacity external brick that exists, but I think that's mainly because of regulation, i.e. more than 330W is considered industrial grade and not appropriate for consumers. But for an internal brick that limitation shouldn't apply, so I'm wondering if there's a thermal/engineering limit or if it's possible at a reasonable volume.

Also, why aren't HDPlex units 80+ rated? Is it too much of a hassle to get a certification?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Also, why aren't HDPlex units 80+ rated? Is it too much of a hassle to get a certification?

The HDPLEX units are two parts, the AC-DC and the DC-ATX. Since they can be mixed and matched it doesn't make sense to get efficiency certifications.

Reactions: Biowarejak