Power Supply HDPLEX 300 and my new riser

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I want to give a shoutout to Larry for working with me over the past six months to come up with a product that both amazing and really emotional for me.

The fact that he would spend so much time, effort, and money to make sure that his new version of the HDPLEX HI-FI DC-ATX PSU was optimized perfectly for my needs, and his amazing service blows my mind. This is the kind of business owner I want to be. Honestly, without the HDPLEX 250 I wouldn't be here doing another run of the MINIs, as that is a huge part of my customer base.

I have the final version, have been testing it, and I am just so excited that my customers have a product that is easy to install and wire in the S4 MINI and delivers the power so many of them demand for their crazy builds.

Old layouts on the left and middle, new on right:

The connectors allow for the shortest possible 24 PIN length, as well as making the SATA connector much more accessible, all while allowing the PSU to be installed far up in the chassis allowing you to use the full 8" in the GPU bay with ease. The electronics have been significantly beefed up as well which is how it should be--products improving every generation. I'll have more info here later, but this is OLD NEWS to many of you.

My new news is HDPLEX is my NEW supplier for my ribbon cables.

When Larry let me test his new 6-layer ribbon prototype this summer I was blown away. I was seeing numbers that were closer to native than I had ever seen, and this cable I am so proud to have my logo on as it is the fastest ribbon cable I have ever tested. Not only that, it is one of the smallest-form-factoriest :D Obviously you guys will want numbers (videos soon!) but I can tell you that I only have cables as a convenience to my customers...the last thing I ever wanted to do was sell/resell them, but with a manufacturer like HDPLEX backing me up with great custom products, I am starting to feel really confident.

So in conclusion I am SUPER grateful to HDPLEX for all the support, service, and quality products that I am proud to offer my customers. Thank you Larry, you rock man!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Wow, extremely clean with these two new aditions, this is looking amazing.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Looks awesome, can't wait to get one of the new HDPlex 300 units.

Does the new ribbon cable offer any support to the GPU like the old version?

Great question.

There is a tradeoff here, for sure, but the new cable is surprisingly rigid and exactly the perfect length, so that when it is folded as you see in the picture, it actually presses itself onto the GPU. I'll have to demonstrate in a video or better yet get you to look at it yourself. :)

As you can see from the last shot I have a Scythe fan mounted on the backside of the 1070 (which gets stupid hot) and I would not feel comfortable mounting the fan here if the cable did not stabilize the GPU.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Did you have to make those black cables for the HDPLEX yourself, or is Larry making a cable set specifically for the S4 Mini that works with this new DC/DC board? If this isn't something you or Larry are able to do, what are the odds you could reach out to someone like https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/ to sell a product that fits this package perfectly without excess cable lengths?

I noticed the CPU EPS 8 pin connector and the PCI-e 8 pin connector have the same physical plug and electrical pin out. I would assume then it would be fine to switch these cables, because as per the specs: http://www.hd-plex.com/images/product/300WDCATX/techspec/HDPLEX300WDCATXDIAGRAMO.png it would wire up easier inside the s4 mini if they were switched in position.

Also, any chance of getting the riser in black instead of orange? If not, how would you suggest making it black on our own?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Did you have to make those black cables for the HDPLEX yourself, or is Larry making a cable set specifically for the S4 Mini that works with this new DC/DC board? If this isn't something you or Larry are able to do, what are the odds you could reach out to someone like https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/ to sell a product that fits this package perfectly without excess cable lengths?

I noticed the CPU EPS 8 pin connector and the PCI-e 8 pin connector have the same physical plug and electrical pin out. I would assume then it would be fine to switch these cables, because as per the specs: http://www.hd-plex.com/images/product/300WDCATX/techspec/HDPLEX300WDCATXDIAGRAMO.png it would wire up easier inside the s4 mini if they were switched in position.

Also, any chance of getting the riser in black instead of orange? If not, how would you suggest making it black on our own?

Except for the 24 pin and the new DC jack plug, all the cables for the HDPLEX are a good length for S4 MINI installations and come all black. They still can be shortened a tad for "pro" level builds, but they come at a length we thought appropriate for general MINI installations and you can still make them look very clean.

Here is the stuff it comes with (aside from the unit itself:)

I don't like to give cable lengths out for those who would use cablemod or make their own, because no matter what I tell you, it will be WRONG for your application. The professional way to do wires is to make a jig and do each wire lenth individually for compound curves. That being said, here is what I did for the MINI in the photos above:

CPU - 14"
GPU - 13.5"
24pin - 2" overall
DC - 14.5"

As for the riser color, no, it is not possible at this time. The best way would be to cover in black gaffers tape and you could cover both faces to the back of the PCIE slot and it would look very nice.

Thanks for your questions!

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Looks incredible! Cant wait to get my hands on the new HDPlex units for testing my own case design. I've been working on it for the better part of 2 months, had to redesign it knowing that Larry is pushing out some new higher wattage parts lol... Lets just say big things are coming in very small packages...

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I don't like to give cable lengths out for those who would use cablemod or make their own, because no matter what I tell you, it will be WRONG for your application. The professional way to do wires is to make a jig and do each wire lenth individually for compound curves. That being said, here is what I did for the MINI in the photos above:

CPU - 14"
GPU - 13.5"
24pin - 2" overall
DC - 14.5"

Love the pictures, thank you.

Do you have a picture of the 24pin cabling between the DC/DC board and the motherboard. That's always been the one thing that's shy'd me away from using this type of DC/DC board, that cable bulk. I'm hoping this new layout alleviates that concern.

I don't suppose you'd want to do a video about the right way to make custom cable lengths in the S4 mini? I really appreciated your video on wiring up a bulgin switch. I've been told making super short 24pin cables is a pita, and it would be nice to see someone doing it so i know the right way.

Last edited:
Reactions: alamilla

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Nice thing is the price doesn't necessarily scale up from 250mm to 500mm. That being said it was still about 150 Canadian o_O