Power Supply HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX direct plug

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
4,966
4,796
Review:

Up for review today is the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX, a power supply of sorts, but one that is a bit different than the SFX and SFX-L PSUs I have previously reviewed.

What makes a DC-ATX unit different? It is right in the name, it takes a single DC input voltage and from that generates the various voltages needed by a typical ATX-spec motherboard: 12V, 5V, 5VSB, 3.3V, -12V, and the power good signal. That’s all it does though, so some sort of adapter to take AC power from the wall outlet and convert it to that DC input voltage is required to complete the package.

Read more here.
 

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
836
1,013
Hot as hell, FL
smallformfactor.net
160W with a 200W peak? I'm a PSU noob, what's a 200W peak actually functionally capable of? Like momentary peaks above 160, up to 200W? or can it run hardware that requires more than 160W but below 200w?

And not to bring this offtopic, but what's the peak Wattage of the HDPLEX-300 DC-DC? is it like a 330 or 350W peak? I don't remember seeing that info on the box when I got mine.
 
Last edited:

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
129
56
Thanks for the review! And thanks for giving a light input on the coil whine of the tested setup!
It's a shame your AC-DC died and you couldn't test it though :/
And I might have missed something, but what "Intake Delta" means in this test?
 

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Feb 1, 2016
3,381
5,936
45
Victoria BC Canada
Old version is 61mm x 45mm x 33mm

New version (Kmpkt Variant) is 61mm x 45mm x 28mm

The HDPlex heatsink is the same thickness as mine I believe, but I am not certain.
 
  • Like
Reactions: zovc

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
4,966
4,796
160W with a 200W peak? I'm a PSU noob, what's a 200W peak actually functionally capable of? Like momentary peaks above 160, up to 200W? or can it run hardware that requires more than 160W but below 200w?

Really it could be called 180W since it's rated for 15A continuous on the 12V rail (12*15=180) but it's marketed as 160W to match the 160W AC-DC.

Likewise the 12V is rated for a peak of 20A, so 240W. Peak ratings are for momentary power spikes, though @Josh | NFC has pushed it pretty hard so with adequate cooling it seems capable of running pretty beefy hardware. But just keep in mind that's not officially supported so do at your own risk.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CubanLegend

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
4,966
4,796
And I might have missed something, but what "Intake Delta" means in this test?

Good catch! That should be Heatsink Delta, as in the temperature of the heatsink over ambient.

The HDPlex heatsink is the same thickness as mine I believe, but I am not certain.

I came up with 28mm for my HDPLEX unit.
 

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Feb 1, 2016
3,381
5,936
45
Victoria BC Canada
I guess V4 version, due to its thickness, won't be the best friend of NFC S4 mini...as generally 24V ATX is just in front of power button..:)

The power button is high enough up that I don't think the power button on the S4 will impede this unit. If you look at @CubanLegend 's Acrylic Ant Man you can see how he avoids the 24 pin connector in his build with a short bodied Bulgin. Furthermore you can't have the 24 pin connector any further towards the top of the board than on the Z270i Strix:

32242116184_2d9c3d4906_k.jpg



The one problem I'm finding is RAM is really tight. I used it on a build I'm playing with right now that uses two sticks of the G.Skill Trident Z and couldn't actually use the DIMM furthest from the CPU. I'll be thinning my custom unit down by 2-3mm as a result.
 

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
3,930
3,085
FRANCE
The power button is high enough up that I don't think the power button on the S4 will impede this unit. If you look at @CubanLegend 's Acrylic Ant Man you can see how he avoids the 24 pin connector in his build with a short bodied Bulgin. Furthermore you can't have the 24 pin connector any further towards the top of the board than on the Z270i Strix:

32242116184_2d9c3d4906_k.jpg



The one problem I'm finding is RAM is really tight. I used it on a build I'm playing with right now that uses two sticks of the G.Skill Trident Z and couldn't actually use the DIMM furthest from the CPU. I'll be thinning my custom unit down by 2-3mm as a result.
Well you know i owned nfc s4 mini with pico box z4-atx-200 with mb gigabyte z170n gaming 5, and i can guarantee you it was a blocking point...i destroyed a vandall button due to this..:)
 

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
274
218
Virginia
I haven't seen anyone address the issue directly, will the new v4 be compatible with the z270i Strix Mobo assuming someone is using both ram slots?
 

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Feb 1, 2016
3,381
5,936
45
Victoria BC Canada
I think it will depend very much on the bulkiness of the RAM you're using. If you have a thick heatsink like on the G.Skill Trident Z or Trident Z LED, you're going to have some issues. I will be in my office tonight playing around with this and will try to take some photos.
 
Last edited:

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
274
218
Virginia
I think it will depend very much on the bulkiness of the RAM you're using. If you have a thick heatsink like on the G.Skill Trident Z or Tridend Z LED, you're going to have some issues. I will be in my office tonight playing around with this and will try to take some photos.
I have the Corsair LPX sticks. I don't think it'd be an issue.
 

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Feb 1, 2016
3,381
5,936
45
Victoria BC Canada
It's not a height issue, but a width issue on the RAM. I also imagine different boards have slightly different spacing on the 24 pin and the DIMM slots. I have a Z270 Fatal1ty and Z270i Strix I'll test this out on tonight.
 

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 6, 2017
175
84
What kind of discrete GPU can I use with this thing assuming I'm using a 65W TDP CPU like an R5 1600?

In the article James Schell says he got a GTX 1060 to work with it, but that card uses 120W according to nVIDIA. I wonder what kind of CPU he paired with that 1060, was it one of those lower power T series CPUs?

Would I be able to pair an R5 1600 with an RX 460? Or would I have to go even lower with an RX 550 perhaps?
 

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
274
218
Virginia
What kind of discrete GPU can I use with this thing assuming I'm using a 65W TDP CPU like an R5 1600?

In the article James Schell says he got a GTX 1060 to work with it, but that card uses 120W according to nVIDIA. I wonder what kind of CPU he paired with that 1060, was it one of those lower power T series CPUs?

Would I be able to pair an R5 1600 with an RX 460? Or would I have to go even lower with an RX 550 perhaps?
TDP =/= power draw. Check out Tom's hardware posts about power draw. They measure each card and CPU. For example, the GTX 1060 SC can pull up to 200w at peak. And the i5 7000 series can get up to 70w or 80w even though their tdp is 65w.
 

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
1,949
2,619
Just to add: whenever you see TDP, read out Thermal Design Point. It's measured in watts, but it's the heat, not electricity.