Power Supply HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX direct plug

henrygrins

Trash Compacter
Mar 12, 2017
www.grinsdesign.com
My order just shipped! I guess I'll see soon enough how much better this unit is. On another note however, I'm wondering if I can pull 75W off the EPS 12V rail with a 4-6 pin Mini Fit Jr adapter. I'm using this solely for my GTX 1060 6GB/Akitio Node combo. The Node requires a second 6-Pin connection to provide 75W to the PCIe slot (although I don't know if it actually requires/pulls all of those 75W). Anyone have any idea? If not, I can simply use a Y splitter to connect both I guess.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm glad to see that it's more compact.

Yup, and I've made a 3D model so case designers can check fitment: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/resources/hdplex-160w-dc-atx-v4.91/

On another note however, I'm wondering if I can pull 75W off the EPS 12V rail with a 4-6 pin Mini Fit Jr adapter. I'm using this solely for my GTX 1060 6GB/Akitio Node combo.

It's a single-rail design, and the CPU and PCIE labels don't really mean anything so you can repurpose them like you're planning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone

AtomicPumpkin

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 3, 2017

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016

New 160w DC-ATX on the way?
Oh no... and I JUST bought my 160W DC-ATX! Damn... :-(
Black cables!!! Now that is icing on the cake... damn it all.
Yup, and I've made a 3D model so case designers can check fitment: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/resources/hdplex-160w-dc-atx-v4.91/

Oh my, first it was more modular and pretty... then it was all black cables... and now it's even thinner! Okay, total meltdown... ;-)

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Yup, and I've made a 3D model so case designers can check fitment:.

Hey, do you happen to know the height of the old model compared to this one? Is it the same? I'm sure they are close, I was just wondering if there's like 1mm difference or anything.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I believe these are the dimensions for the previous version but I'm not 100% sure: 41.2(H) x 61(W) x 34.7(D) mm

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Well, I did say I wasn't 100% sure :p

Someone would need to measure it to double-check the dimensions.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I've got both models in hand. I will take photos and measurements tomorrow when I'm at my office (if I remember).

Reactions: zovc

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Review:

Up for review today is the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX, a power supply of sorts, but one that is a bit different than the SFX and SFX-L PSUs I have previously reviewed.

What makes a DC-ATX unit different? It is right in the name, it takes a single DC input voltage and from that generates the various voltages needed by a typical ATX-spec motherboard: 12V, 5V, 5VSB, 3.3V, -12V, and the power good signal. That’s all it does though, so some sort of adapter to take AC power from the wall outlet and convert it to that DC input voltage is required to complete the package.

Read more here.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
160W with a 200W peak? I'm a PSU noob, what's a 200W peak actually functionally capable of? Like momentary peaks above 160, up to 200W? or can it run hardware that requires more than 160W but below 200w?

And not to bring this offtopic, but what's the peak Wattage of the HDPLEX-300 DC-DC? is it like a 330 or 350W peak? I don't remember seeing that info on the box when I got mine.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks for the review @Aibohphobia !

I guess V4 version, due to its thickness, won't be the best friend of NFC S4 mini...as generally 24V ATX is just in front of power button..:)

Reactions: jeshikat

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
Thanks for the review! And thanks for giving a light input on the coil whine of the tested setup!
It's a shame your AC-DC died and you couldn't test it though :/
And I might have missed something, but what "Intake Delta" means in this test?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Old version is 61mm x 45mm x 33mm

New version (Kmpkt Variant) is 61mm x 45mm x 28mm

The HDPlex heatsink is the same thickness as mine I believe, but I am not certain.

Reactions: zovc

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
160W with a 200W peak? I'm a PSU noob, what's a 200W peak actually functionally capable of? Like momentary peaks above 160, up to 200W? or can it run hardware that requires more than 160W but below 200w?

Really it could be called 180W since it's rated for 15A continuous on the 12V rail (12*15=180) but it's marketed as 160W to match the 160W AC-DC.

Likewise the 12V is rated for a peak of 20A, so 240W. Peak ratings are for momentary power spikes, though @Josh | NFC has pushed it pretty hard so with adequate cooling it seems capable of running pretty beefy hardware. But just keep in mind that's not officially supported so do at your own risk.

Reactions: CubanLegend

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
And I might have missed something, but what "Intake Delta" means in this test?

Good catch! That should be Heatsink Delta, as in the temperature of the heatsink over ambient.

The HDPlex heatsink is the same thickness as mine I believe, but I am not certain.

I came up with 28mm for my HDPLEX unit.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I guess V4 version, due to its thickness, won't be the best friend of NFC S4 mini...as generally 24V ATX is just in front of power button..:)

The power button is high enough up that I don't think the power button on the S4 will impede this unit. If you look at @CubanLegend 's Acrylic Ant Man you can see how he avoids the 24 pin connector in his build with a short bodied Bulgin. Furthermore you can't have the 24 pin connector any further towards the top of the board than on the Z270i Strix:

The one problem I'm finding is RAM is really tight. I used it on a build I'm playing with right now that uses two sticks of the G.Skill Trident Z and couldn't actually use the DIMM furthest from the CPU. I'll be thinning my custom unit down by 2-3mm as a result.