Power Supply HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX direct plug

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
852
603
I can neither confirm nor deny that I currently possess said new unit.

Hey, I had to do a pretty sketchy mod on my current 160W HDPLEX, the terminals where you screw down the extra cables was on the same side of my 24-pin connector as my RAM slot and I actually needed to trim some of the insulation off in order to force things to fit. It's still not a great fit, my RAM is flexing... Is there anywhere I could get a look at the new one?
 

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
130
148
Yep. Modular SATA, PCIe and EPS. Larry and I will be releasing the same unit with different heatsinks.

I just reached out to the HDPLEX guys and they confirmed the new 160W modular DC-DC unit will be released sometime around the beginning of May and will cost just $7 more than the existing unit.

SOLD.

Thanks for continually updating your products to be better looking with an even more impressive feature set.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Coach_Rico

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
4,966
4,796
Would you also deny and not confirm that it is a notable upgrade to the 160W DC-ATX I already have? And it what ways is it not better/improved.

As far as I know it's almost all just improvements in the connector design and layout. If you're happy with the fit and performance of your current unit, I see no reason to upgrade.
 

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
852
603
As far as I know it's almost all just improvements in the connector design and layout. If you're happy with the fit and performance of your current unit, I see no reason to upgrade.

Hey, did you see my earlier question? The picture on the site doesn't look particular different. I had to do a sketchy mod on my current 160W HDPLEX's connectors and if I could swap it out for a more compatible design I absolutely would. The plastic-shielded 1-4 terminals are on the same side as my RAM slots, and I need to populate the slot right next to my HDPLEX, but the cables screwed down onto those terminals interfere with my DIMM. I had to trim some of the insulation off and it's still flexing the stick of RAM.
 

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
852
603
I don't have any pictures of my current setup, but it definitely looks like this one would work better!

Referencing the picture in the post you referred to--it looks like the leftmost connector is used for DC-in, right? Is that middle 4-pin connector (similar to a PWM fan connector) used for a certain kind of extension cable? (I'd assume the SATA cables on the HDPLEX 160W I have.) And I'm guessing the rightmost connector can be split with a "Y-connector" to achieve what the 1-4 terminals do on the previous version?
 

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
4,966
4,796
There's two 4-pin Mini-Fit Jr connectors, one on each side. One for CPU and the other for PCIe, they're labeled but it doesn't actually matter which cable is plugged on which side.

Middle 4-pin connector is for SATA.

DC IN is hardwired.
 
  • Like
Reactions: zovc

henrygrins

Trash Compacter
Mar 12, 2017
37
26
New York City
www.grinsdesign.com
My order just shipped! I guess I'll see soon enough how much better this unit is. On another note however, I'm wondering if I can pull 75W off the EPS 12V rail with a 4-6 pin Mini Fit Jr adapter. I'm using this solely for my GTX 1060 6GB/Akitio Node combo. The Node requires a second 6-Pin connection to provide 75W to the PCIe slot (although I don't know if it actually requires/pulls all of those 75W). Anyone have any idea? If not, I can simply use a Y splitter to connect both I guess.
 

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
4,966
4,796
I'm glad to see that it's more compact.

Yup, and I've made a 3D model so case designers can check fitment: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/resources/hdplex-160w-dc-atx-v4.91/

HDPLEX-160W-DC-ATX-v4-dimensions-centerline.png


On another note however, I'm wondering if I can pull 75W off the EPS 12V rail with a 4-6 pin Mini Fit Jr adapter. I'm using this solely for my GTX 1060 6GB/Akitio Node combo.

It's a single-rail design, and the CPU and PCIE labels don't really mean anything so you can repurpose them like you're planning.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Lone

AtomicPumpkin

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 3, 2017
3
0
Utah

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
547
345
Siam
HDPLEX.300WAC.160WDCATX.NanoATX.jpg

New 160w DC-ATX on the way?
Oh no... and I JUST bought my 160W DC-ATX! Damn... :-(
Black cables!!! Now that is icing on the cake... damn it all.
Yup, and I've made a 3D model so case designers can check fitment: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/resources/hdplex-160w-dc-atx-v4.91/
HDPLEX-160W-DC-ATX-v4-dimensions-centerline.png

Oh my, first it was more modular and pretty... then it was all black cables... and now it's even thinner! Okay, total meltdown... ;-)
 

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
852
603
Yup, and I've made a 3D model so case designers can check fitment:.

Hey, do you happen to know the height of the old model compared to this one? Is it the same? I'm sure they are close, I was just wondering if there's like 1mm difference or anything.
 

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
4,966
4,796
I believe these are the dimensions for the previous version but I'm not 100% sure: 41.2(H) x 61(W) x 34.7(D) mm
 

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
4,966
4,796
Well, I did say I wasn't 100% sure :p

Someone would need to measure it to double-check the dimensions.