Power Supply Has anyone bought the Metalfish 500W modular flex-atx psu from aliexpress/taobao?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Something I've been trying to research a lot lately and have come up short with finding anyone who has done this is modifying some decommissioned server power supplies to work with a desktop system. They're super cheap on eBay, are made by reputable manufacturers such as Delta, and generally have sufficient 12V output for a midrange gaming PC.

Take this one for example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Elec...ply-DPS-350AB-12-E86365-006-350W/193343438590

350W 80+ Silver Delta unit. Can do 28A/336W on 12V (probably a DC-DC design I am guessing) over two rails (18A each). This particular unit already has a 24 pin motherboard connector and a 8pin EPS connector, with a couple of SATA too. It wouldn't be that hard to turn the 8 Pin EPS connector into a 4 Pin ATX + 6 Pin PCIe that should be sufficient for a midrange build (think 65w CPU + 120W GPU, ex. Ryzen 5 3600 + 1660 Super). That's 185W on one of the 12V rails that should be able to handle 216W.

All it would require is a bit of soldering on your behalf, like this:

A 4 pin ATX connector is perfectly sufficient for a 65W CPU, and 2 12v wires for the 6 pin PCIe connector is totally fine for 75W, so long as you don't use one of those 6P to 8P adapters so then you're pulling 150W from 2 wires.

That's already been done and my recommended way to go if you want to safe money and get a good PSU.

Can also find them on Aliexpress sometimes and GEEK is doing the same with the DPS server PSUs.

Last edited:

AyMD20

Efficiency Noob
Aug 14, 2020
That's already been done and my recommended way to go if you want to safe money and get a good PSU.

You seem very knowledgeable about PSU's so I'll ask you: what do you think of having the CPU and GPU on the same rail? Is it a problem to load one rail at like 80% and another at like 10%? I've heard that it's not too much of a problem because multi-rail power supplies are usually fed by one larger 12V rail and the rails are mostly just over current protections. Is that true?

Also, what do you think of having only 2 18awg 12v wires for the PCIe 6 pin? Technically, this satisfies the PCI-SIG standard, but most power supplies usually add the third (middle) 12v line that is technically only required on the 8 pin

miptzi

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 20, 2017

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
got that waiting my k39 to arrive next week. just a r5 1600 + gtx1060. Very low output, so should be fine.

I think @REVOCCASES can confirm but I think they've stated quite a few times that PSU isn't what it's represented to be. With low wattage like your build like less than 200W it could be fine I guess, but definitely not one for speccing your system as though it was a 550W PSU.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
You seem very knowledgeable about PSU's so I'll ask you: what do you think of having the CPU and GPU on the same rail? Is it a problem to load one rail at like 80% and another at like 10%? I've heard that it's not too much of a problem because multi-rail power supplies are usually fed by one larger 12V rail and the rails are mostly just over current protections. Is that true?

Also, what do you think of having only 2 18awg 12v wires for the PCIe 6 pin? Technically, this satisfies the PCI-SIG standard, but most power supplies usually add the third (middle) 12v line that is technically only required on the 8 pin

Shouldn't be an issue as long you don't hit the rated output current of the rail. Personally I prefer single rail because it gives you more flexibility without needing to worry if it would trip OC protection of the rail.

Two pairs of 18 AWG are not ideal from my point of view. But this also depends on the wire length and which current you actually draw. Personally I prefer 3 pairs or 16 AWG wires to keep voltage drop as low as possible.

Which setup are you running / planning?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I think @REVOCCASES can confirm but I think they've stated quite a few times that PSU isn't what it's represented to be. With low wattage like your build like less than 200W it could be fine I guess, but definitely not one for speccing your system as though it was a 550W PSU.

It's crap. People on reddit who bought it also confirmed this. For 100 bucks better get a real 300W or 350W FLEX from well known brands.

AyMD20

Efficiency Noob
Aug 14, 2020
Which setup are you running / planning?

I am running an older platform (Socket 1155) using a 69w Xeon E3-1230V2, 16GB DDR3, an mSATA SSD, and probably a GTX 1060 (haven't solidified my plans here yet). The 1060 supposidly only draws about 60W from the PCIe 6 pin connector, which would mean 30W (or ~2.5A) per wire.

My plan for that is moot anyway, since I ended up receiving a Delta DPS-400AB today that actually has 2 EPS 12v connectors, so I am just going to convert one of those to a 6+2 pin.

miptzi

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 20, 2017

Yeah, I'm aware of that. But overseas shipping triples the price of any non-aliexpress electronic product to Brazil. It's a rough reality for us. I went to berlim once, to visit my brother, and got a lot of stuff there that is impossible here...
It's crap. People on reddit who bought it also confirmed this. For 100 bucks better get a real 300W or 350W FLEX from well known brands.
We have a PSU modder in our local community here. He stated that too, but also stated that there are other models waaaaaaay worse than that in the sea of shit that Chinese stuff can provide... So, it's MEH but doable.

The guts of the beast

Yinwang 550w

Last edited:

AyMD20

Efficiency Noob
Aug 14, 2020
That should work fine. Also, the DPS is a good choice.

So I got around to testing this thing today, and it won't start. The Mobo's green LED comes on which tells me +5Vsb works fine, but nothing else seems to work. "Jump starting" the power supply with a paper clip doesn't work either. I also measured the PG (Power Good) voltage when the paper clip was inserted and I was getting 0v. Is there anything special about server power supplies that would cause this (such as the PMBus, SMBus connector), or should I assume this one is dead and get a refund?

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Yeah, I'm aware of that. But overseas shipping triples the price of any non-aliexpress electronic product to Brazil. It's a rough reality for us. I went to berlim once, to visit my brother, and got a lot of stuff there that is impossible here...

We have a PSU modder in our local community here. He stated that too, but also stated that there are other models waaaaaaay worse than that in the sea of shit that Chinese stuff can provide... So, it's MEH but doable.

The guts of the beast

Yinwang 550w

Seems you got a better one. This actually looks OK, similar like the MetalFish500.

Except the fan cable routing over the heatsink there, thats NG...

Mine looked like this:

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
So I got around to testing this thing today, and it won't start. The Mobo's green LED comes on which tells me +5Vsb works fine, but nothing else seems to work. "Jump starting" the power supply with a paper clip doesn't work either. I also measured the PG (Power Good) voltage when the paper clip was inserted and I was getting 0v. Is there anything special about server power supplies that would cause this (such as the PMBus, SMBus connector), or should I assume this one is dead and get a refund?

Personally I do not own a DPS but I heard several people are using it and are happy. I have a pre-modded LITEON PS4501 from YTC which works fine.

Did you measure all the voltages? All fine except 5V PG? Maybe ask the seller if he knows whats wrong...

AyMD20

Efficiency Noob
Aug 14, 2020
Personally I do not own a DPS but I heard several people are using it and are happy. I have a pre-modded LITEON PS4501 from YTC which works fine.

Did you measure all the voltages? All fine except 5V PG? Maybe ask the seller if he knows whats wrong...

Actually all are not working except 5v standby. I reached out and asked if there's something I missed or if it's just a defective unit. The seller is one of those electronics recyclers that buys in bulk and lists on ebay, so it's likely they don't do super thorough testing

Emanski

Chassis Packer
Aug 9, 2020
Seems you got a better one. This actually looks OK, similar like the MetalFish500.

Except the fan cable routing over the heatsink there, thats NG...

Mine looked like this:

you mean, By the looks of its internals, you can say that it can be used? like its okay but not running high wattage hardwares right? coz im planning to Get rid of my metalfish and get that yinwang instead. my metalfish fans are crappy and it is only "400w"

Emanski

Chassis Packer
Aug 9, 2020
if you're in the USA, i see something much better for you, on ebay right now.
yeah too bad Im not from states. all my choices is ali express as of the moment. or should I say as forever. Im from Philippines btw. There are no offerings of the flex psu anywhere here in the local. that is why I have no choice but to get a cheap but with "okay" quality. now Im using my "400w" metalfish psu and it really pisses me off trying to make the fan spin every dang time by pushing it with a screw driver. not to mention I need to load up the gpu a bit ro gain more watt usage so the psu will heat up a beat so then that would be the time to push it. I mean, a can do it tho but I cant live with that hehe

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
you mean, By the looks of its internals, you can say that it can be used? like its okay but not running high wattage hardwares right? coz im planning to Get rid of my metalfish and get that yinwang instead. my metalfish fans are crappy and it is only "400w"

From looking at the internals I would say you can expect similar quality like the MetalFish. If you want to know if it's actually good someone must test it.

But again, why not get a modded second hand server PSU from Delta, Liteon, etc? You can also find these on Aliexpress or use TaoBao via Superbuy.

Emanski

Chassis Packer
Aug 9, 2020
From looking at the internals I would say you can expect similar quality like the MetalFish. If you want to know if it's actually good someone must test it.

But again, why not get a modded second hand server PSU from Delta, Liteon, etc? You can also find these on Aliexpress or use TaoBao via Superbuy.
okay I guess I'll try to save up more so I can afford those more expensive ones. I wish I find the delta one coz I think thats a bit cheaper compare to the enhance mod. thanks a lot for the Good infos ? I'll share here again when something improved on my metalfish or I found a good one on ali