Power Supply Has anyone bought the Metalfish 500W modular flex-atx psu from aliexpress/taobao?

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
thanks a lot! just wanna ask, do you think this has the gpu cables? I dont know much about PSUs. and sometimes the sellers cant answer accurately

comparing the stock photo, to my Delta 500W Flex PSU, it appears to have a 8-pin GPU connector.

Last edited:

hellotimmutton

Chassis Packer
Jan 6, 2019
Is there anywhere that compiles a list of Flex PSUs with comparisons of things like wattage, efficiency, modularity etc? It seems like theres an increasing number of options but no single source of whats will fit peoples needs and whats worth avoiding

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
Is there anywhere that compiles a list of Flex PSUs with comparisons of things like wattage, efficiency, modularity etc? It seems like theres an increasing number of options but no single source of whats will fit peoples needs and whats worth avoiding

there are only 3 good options, which are all 80 Plus efficiency, & have modular versions :

1) Delta DPS 500W
2) FSP Flex Guru 500W
3) Enhance ENP-7660B 600W

my recommendation is a Delta DPS 500W, based on price.

even after you pay extra, to mod its fan to semi silent, & to change it to black color, its still cheaper than the other two.

members here are offering these mod services.

Last edited:

AyMD20

Efficiency Noob
Aug 14, 2020
there are only 3 good options, which are all 80 Plus efficiency, & have modular versions :

1) Delta DPS 500W
2) FSP Flex Guru 500W
3) Enhance ENP-7660B 600W

my recommendation is a Delta DPS 500W, based on price.

even after you pay extra, to mod its fan to semi silent, & to change it to black color, its still cheaper than the other two.

members here are offering these mod services.

Silverstone also makes a 350W 80+ Gold unit that, while not modular, is good quality and readily available on places like Amazon

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
Silverstone also makes a 350W 80+ Gold unit that, while not modular, is good quality and readily available on places like Amazon

They have the FX-500 (with black cables!) now coming to market. If they make it in sufficient numbers with the same distribution channels, then it ought to be as widely available as the FX-350G.

miptzi

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 20, 2017
just a feedback that my XinWang is doing fine. Roled some cinebenches and furmarks, not even ramped the fan. Gets barely warm under load, medium and bearable sound, but the noctua 4x20 pwm is coming nonetheless

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
just a feedback that my XinWang is doing fine. Roled some cinebenches and furmarks, not even ramped the fan. Gets barely warm under load, medium and bearable sound, but the noctua 4x20 pwm is coming nonetheless

is your load above 400W, though ??

jhonsmith

Efficiency Noob
Sep 2, 2020
They have the FX-500 (with black cables!) now coming to market. If they make it in sufficient numbers with the same distribution channels, then it ought to be as widely available as the FX-350G.

>>> did anyone see a Silverstone FX500 on sale somewhere? i'm interested

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020

>>> did anyone see a Silverstone FX500 on sale somewhere? i'm interested

It's just coming to market so it'll be hard to find for a while. It's only been up on their site for a few weeks.

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
Well my custom modded Enhance ENP-7660B arrived today from Geeek Store and its been very well done. Custom modular PCB securely bolted to the end and very nice soft silicon black cables.

I can already tell without even needing to open it up that it's much much denser electronically inside because it is at least 25% heavier than the Metalfish. The metalfish PSU feels like a toy by comparison.

Many thanks to everyone especially @REVOCCASES for their input in this thread. Its the best source of information I've found as to why the Metalfish is not a great option for a Flex PSU.

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
Well the PSU saga continues, even with a 7660B. What a bloody hellride this has been. I discovered during my build attempt that it came with a faulty 24-pin cable. I'm tempted just to buy a THIRD PSU, a Silverstone FX-350-G and be done with it. I'm within wattage.

I realise that flex PSUs are not intended for consumer builds, but finding one that works out of the box has for me at last, been a complete pain in the ass and my wallet.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Well the PSU saga continues, even with a 7660B. What a bloody hellride this has been. I discovered during my build attempt that it came with a faulty 24-pin cable. I'm tempted just to buy a THIRD PSU, a Silverstone FX-350-G and be done with it. I'm within wattage.

I realise that flex PSUs are not intended for consumer builds, but finding one that works out of the box has for me at last, been a complete pain in the ass and my wallet.

Why not just ask the shop for a replacement cable if the PSU works fine?

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
Why not just ask the shop for a replacement cable if the PSU works fine?

I have had an email from Geeek about 30 mins ago and they are going to send me a new cable. I'm just frustrated I guess that obtaining a good flex PSU has been quite stressful if I'm honest. I just want my build completed now ?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

Sorry to hear that. I wouldn't say that Flex PSU are not intended for consumer builds. More like.. it can be used by anyone, as long as one is ready with its pros (size) & cons (heat, noise).

That's also the reason I stick with SFX PSU, at least for now.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I have had an email from Geeek about 30 mins ago and they are going to send me a new cable. I'm just frustrated I guess that obtaining a good flex PSU has been quite stressful if I'm honest. I just want my build completed now ?

I know what you mean. Well, on the bright side: after you got your replacement cable you should finally have a nice and solid setup for your build.

Reactions: inSparks

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
I know what you mean. Well, on the bright side: after you got your replacement cable you should finally have a nice and solid setup for your build.

I'll get there eventually. I can already tell even this modular one will be tight in the metalfish S3 but it'll work and I'll get there soon.

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
Don't forget to post your build when you're done. ;)

And if it doesn't work, just get the GxR-ONE pico-psu and external AC-DC brick. ?

This is the reason why it will be tight. Theres probably 4 or 5cm clearance from the end of the PSU to the edge of the case but they've mounted the modular conversion vertically instead of a low profile horizontal in-line PCB. This means with the 24 pin in there etc it will be very tight.

Smart way to do it mostly, but just not for my case! I will make it work though.

Reactions: REVOCCASES